General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

ATF for Fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:43 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
X2
ATF is not made to be burned. It does not burn like the ATF of many years ago. It is very abrasive and will do more damage than good.
atf is a lubricating oil, it is NOT abrasive... sand is
Old 06-27-2008, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnh
atf is a lubricating oil, it is NOT abrasive... sand is
Well, the problem with ATF is that it cleans the lubrication off of internal parts. That's why they used to dump a quart of ATF in the crankcase right before an oil change. It's all detergent so it acts like an engine flush. ATF is more like a hydraulic oil than a lubricating oil and because the tranny needs to stay clean with no carbon buildup, it's also is a cleaner. It's designed to withstand pressure and heat (ie. torque converter).
Old 06-27-2008, 11:56 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Modern ATF does not burn clean....TOO mant additives. Do not use it. My brother-in-law owns a tranny shop so he has access to pleanty of it, he will not run it in his diesel.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by annabelle
Modern ATF does not burn clean....TOO mant additives. Do not use it. My brother-in-law owns a tranny shop so he has access to pleanty of it, he will not run it in his diesel.
Well what kind of diesel does he have? If its a modern VW TDI or something, I could kinda see his hesitation to run ATF. But if he has a mechanically injected older style diesel engine like the Mercedes 240 and 300 series, or a Ford 6.9 IDI V8, or GM 6.2, etc - it will happily run 50% or more ATF as fuel and not know the difference. I know several people who do this, LOL, and one of them works at..... you guessed it! A transmission shop! Where he has an endless supply of fuel for free.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:54 PM

This is old school from when diesel fuel was once step from crude, oily, grimmy and left residue in the fuel injection system. Back in the day ATF was not synthetic. ATF these days is synthetic and designed not to burn. Regardless ATF is a excellent solvent which really cleaned up petroleum residue in the old rigs fuel systems. The best penetrating oil I have ever used was a 50/50 blend of ATF and acetone. Try it you'll be amazed. Also if your really interested pour some ATF on a steel plate and try to burn it with a oxy/acetylene torch. Compare it to engine oil, diesel, gear oil, hydraulic etc.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:14 AM
Banned

7.3 Ford.......
Old 06-30-2008, 07:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ~Angry Tractor~
Just speculation..... Viscosity is another issue. These engines are made to run on fuel of a certain viscosity and specific gravity.
I had the same thought...and checked. ATF and Diesel Fuel have very similar viscosities and specific gravity.
Both have viscosity in the 8.5 cSt range (at 100*C)........ and both have a S.G. of around 8.5.

But, I have burned up a fair amount of ATF in campfires (another story) and always see more black smoke than with engine oil, for example. The black smoke is unburned particulate which, in our engines will end up as ash or sludge. Would probably show on an oil analysis as high "Soot/Solids".

RJ
Old 06-30-2008, 08:35 AM
Banned

Not the point. ATF isn't meant to be burned.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by annabelle
Not the point. ATF isn't meant to be burned.
Neither is Engine Oil, but the old timers used it for years. Not arguing with you because I agree and would not use either for lubricity....or fuel.

The problem is perception of many members........ and the fact that ATF, while not designed to burn at say 250* or 300* (high temp in an automatic tranny), will ignite easily with cylinder head ignition temp over 1500*. Some CTD owners see no problem.

RJ
Old 06-30-2008, 05:11 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by RowJ
Neither is Engine Oil, but the old timers used it for years. Not arguing with you because I agree and would not use either for lubricity....or fuel.

The problem is perception of many members........ and the fact that ATF, while not designed to burn at say 250* or 300* (high temp in an automatic tranny), will ignite easily with cylinder head ignition temp over 1500*. Some CTD owners see no problem.

RJ
RJ, that was VERY well said!
Old 07-01-2008, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
Well, the problem with ATF is that it cleans the lubrication off of internal parts. That's why they used to dump a quart of ATF in the crankcase right before an oil change. It's all detergent so it acts like an engine flush. ATF is more like a hydraulic oil than a lubricating oil and because the tranny needs to stay clean with no carbon buildup, it's also is a cleaner. It's designed to withstand pressure and heat (ie. torque converter).
Ha! That's funny... I used to dump a quart of diesel into my Mercedes' crankcase as an engine flush- worked great, better (and cheaper) than the commercially available "diesel-fuel-in-an-engine-flush-bottle" preparations down at Pep Boys.

I also ran very-well filtered ATF as fuel for about 4 months straight, sometimes in percentages as high as 90% mixed with 10% B100. The price was right and it worked great. I still use it when I can get it. I also had my stock injectors out to try a set of bigger ones, and saw no signs of coking or ash. The stockers are back, btw. Too much temptation, too much smoke, too little MPG.

The only problem I had while running ATF90 was the smell. First time I rolled to a "downwind stop" and got a whiff of my truck's exhaust, I shut it down fast and dropped under the truck to see where the tranny leak was. It smelled eerily similar to the stench when a hose clamp let go and sprayed hot ATF onto the muffler. And street. And underside of the bed. And framerail. And etc.

I wouldn't do this in a CRD, but the 12-valvers don't seem to have any problems digesting this stuff. I think gear lube would be too thick, but power steering juice, ATF, hydraulic oil, turbine oil, motor oil and the like-mixed with #2 or B100- is welcome in my tank. If you don't want to use ATF as fuel, I'll take it.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:48 PM
Banned

It's not that it won't eventallty burn,it's what it leaves behind. Do as you wish, it's not going in my $50,000.00 truck. More educated minds than mine tell me not to. They have all the free ATF you could ask for.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:29 AM

I just read a post on another forum from a 12V owner who said that ATF, jack oil, transformer oil etc will leave deposits in the engine and injectors. He also said to not use any of this stuff in any 24V engine.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:07 PM

It works I know of three people using it. Two of them are running straight ATF and the other guy is mixing it in his fuel. All they do is run it threw a 3 micron filter and then put it in the fuel tank. The two guys are running straight are driving first gens and the other guy is using it in his second gen 12 valve. From what they are saying is that it runs exactly the same other then a bit more black smoke. They all love it its free fuel for them.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:39 PM
Banned

It works for how long? You have three ignorant friends.

Quick Reply: ATF for Fuel?