General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Any Electrical engineers out there? I want to build a homemade chip.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Electrical engineers out there? I want to build a homemade chip.

I took a few electrical engineering classes in college and know just enough to get me in trouble. I know that the major part of an edge ez or bully dog is simply a resistor, or in the more expensive models a potentiometer.

I am sure this question has been asked before....Why cant I splice the mapp sensor wire myself and put a potentiometer inline? more resistance means the engine sends more fuel. easy right? lol I know, i know its never easy.

I think someone told me a while back - "its because the chips are timing boxes as well".

this is where i say..."huh?"

this theoretical chip would be mounted on my 24 valve cummins 2000 model.

Im sure it has been discussed but I cant find the thread.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:44 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
there's more than just one thing going on at a time. Changing one things puts things out of order. You have to change all that's needed. There's a guy here a while back cracking ECM's open and figuring out how they tick. You might try some searches and see if you can find that and follow what he's doing.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Here's a couple:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...u-t169965.html

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...hlight=ECM+map
Old 08-25-2010, 11:41 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
If you just want to alter the boost signal, then you can put together the right combination of components to change what the ECM is seeing from the MAP sensor. But small boxes like the EZ or Bully Dog do more than just play with the boost signal. They have a boost fooling function built into them, but they also plug into the Data Link connector to communicate with the ECM to alter the timing and fueling parameters. If you step up to the larger boxes, they also tap into the injector pump solenoid wire to push more fuel than what is possible through the ECM.

If you just trick the ECM into seeing more boost than what is really there, you're really just making a more complicated "smoke switch".
Old 08-25-2010, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im not an engineer or anything.. but i do know there is more to our chips then just some resistors. there is microchips that we burn data to.