General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

2010 6.6l Duramax to have 700 ft/lbs & urea

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 05:16 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/13/m...uvs-this-fall/
Old 07-04-2008, 07:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the link, very informative. I guess if the urea tank lasts 15000 miles, that's not too bad. But I couldn't find the cost anywhere. I would imagine it should be cheap though; it's not exactly an exotic liquid.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny5.9
Thanks for the link, very informative. I guess if the urea tank lasts 15000 miles, that's not too bad. But I couldn't find the cost anywhere. I would imagine it should be cheap though; it's not exactly an exotic liquid.
This is in relation to VW's, but they said in an article I read about then new tiguan that also uses Urea, that it would be about the same cost as window washer fluid. But that the vehicle would shut down if the urea tank gets to low. How much would that suck
Old 07-04-2008, 11:22 PM

Might really change protocol when stopping for fuel and a restroom break. Filler up with both #2 and #1!
Old 07-05-2008, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're right about that. A back to back comparison in Diesel power saw the new d-max actually avg. a little less than the gasser. Why would you even bother to pay the extra $7000 to get the same mpg running more expensive fuel. Of course, some people may claim they "need" the power. But who really does? A gasser will haul all the GVWR of the diesel you'll just have to leave a little extra time to get there. And do these engineers even know the long term longevity of these diesels saddled with all this crap? Probably not and I doubt they care.

I really do need the extra power,reliability from a diesel. I know of a few people that have owned Chevy's 8.1 gasser. The one that towed all the time never made it to 100,000 miles before the engine was wore out. The other one never towed anything and last I heard it had over 220,000 and runs good.
My brother inlaw went from a gas 6.0 to a Duramax. He said he went from 6 mpg pulling a 20 foot horse trailer to 10.5

As far as the 6.6 going to 700 pounds of tq that is great news I hope the 6.7 Cummins will get a factory tune to match. With the new emissions on these trucks I will keep the next one stock so the one with the most stock power is the one I will get. 700 is enough to get the job done that I need to do. At 80,000 miles it will get traded again.

One thing for sure I will be keeping my 06
Old 07-05-2008, 10:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dodgeguy71
friend works at a dodge dealer said the cp3 was pretty cheap, but the high pressure pump was $6700(may not have my pump wording right cause I don't know doodle about the 6.7 but he said one of those pumps was that price) and the injectors are $2000 each talk about messin some drawers!!
your friend is a moron.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:03 AM

everything is wrong in R&D for engines. companies need to start research for reducing Nitrogen in the air, some studies show that a 50% reduction nitrogen in the air,would increase torque by 400%, and no NOX, no cats no urea, no nothiing, with so much available torque you would not have put your foot down to far, fuel economy better, engine would not work hard to maintain usable road speed. EGTs would be down,,they need to start thinking out of the box. Thx Ron
Old 07-06-2008, 11:06 AM

maybe i read it in the Constitution of the US, WE the people, are the victims of the insane!!!
Old 07-08-2008, 01:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Can't be that expensive, they use it as ice melt on our parking lot in the winter. It's basically liquid fertilizer.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:46 PM

this may be a dumb question, but how do they keep upping the torque with that motor? also i think the new gmc are good looking... id own one.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by duratothemax
your friend is a moron.
I beg to differ, known the guy since 1994 and he's been working on Dodge pretty much since then. Master of his trade, has all the training and certs Dodge has to offer and ASE, he ain't one to bullpoop ya. I can figure out pretty much anything on my truck....well, all my cars and anyone else who brings them buy for me to fix, but if I have a question about my truck I'll call him. When an experienced Cadillac tech is talking to an experienced Dodge tech, I can tell you this, he ain't no moron. Go try out the L1 ASE test next time their in your town.....us dumb moron mechanics know more than what people think, probably why our pay sucks people think any idiot can diagnose a car with 30 plus computers cause the scanner thingy will tell you whats wrong with it.....yeah, ok. Not trying to flame or start a war but mechanics/Technicians ain't simpletons, just like Ironworkers, Pipefitters and all the skilled trade workers. Theres a whole lot more than what the average joe see's when it comes to training. Just because we don't have a BA or MBA attached to our names. We have as much training as any college Master degree and probably more, don't know the last time the human body went through a complete design change.

Oh yeah, and Urea tank, sounds like something you'd find under a travel RV!
Old 07-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
dodgeguy, I think Dura was referring to him because the CP3 IS the high pressure pump, it isn't anywhere near 6700, nor are Injectors 2K apiece.

Unless his dealership has had them all gold plated that is.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:21 AM
Chapter President

Well that I know nothing about, what I know about CP3 is it's not on my truck and I've seen pictures in the magazines! I know he said that was the last one he ever did anything major to, said the ford tech in the same shop stays covered up with the powerstroke engine repairs. He did say he has been working on some ford diesels(probably to many for one tech) and he said they sucked big time, possibly he got prices confused with fords

oh well, don't know exact prices and most likely never will. I guess it could have been said, "your friends pricing seems to be a bit off" to which I would have replied ok, maybe, I don't know. But moron? Anyhow, signing off....
Old 07-11-2008, 04:26 PM

700 pound feet of tq ! I like the way the new Chevy Front ends look on the 1500's. The 2500 need to lose that huge bumper. THe headlights are a great improvement from the last gen. The Duramax is a great engine in it's own respect. V8 Diesel that is making that power is good in my book. I will always stay with the Cummins for a reliable, easy to work on, trouble free piece- - - - -01 HO w/6spd is in my future. I should have never traded the last 01 I had !
Old 07-12-2008, 02:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by boostjunkie1
700 pound feet of tq ! I like the way the new Chevy Front ends look on the 1500's. The 2500 need to lose that huge bumper. THe headlights are a great improvement from the last gen. The Duramax is a great engine in it's own respect. V8 Diesel that is making that power is good in my book. I will always stay with the Cummins for a reliable, easy to work on, trouble free piece- - - - -01 HO w/6spd is in my future. I should have never traded the last 01 I had !
I think GM stole some of those convex, anti-theft mirrors out of a corner store and slapped them on the bumper of the new truck.

Quick Reply: 2010 6.6l Duramax to have 700 ft/lbs & urea