Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   2010 6.6l Duramax to have 700 ft/lbs & urea (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/2010-6-6l-duramax-have-700-ft-lbs-urea-210003/)

SOhappy 07-03-2008 11:55 AM

2010 6.6l Duramax to have 700 ft/lbs & urea

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/201...500-spied.html

I think I'd trade the power for fuel economy :rolleyes:

| .................oh wait! I already did.
V

DaveB.inVa 07-03-2008 12:02 PM

Shoot, you can make more power than that now with good fuel economy and without urea!

johnny5.9 07-03-2008 01:09 PM

My truck makes more power than than that with 17.8 MPG hand calculated 50/50 highway city with towing too. They can keep it.

Lil Dog 07-03-2008 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by johnny5.9 (Post 2135911)
My truck makes more power than than that with 17.8 MPG hand calculated 50/50 highway city with towing too. They can keep it.

No joke.. Urea? I was reading an article in the SAE I think where a company out in Vancouver BC that was making a Nox/DPF system that wouldn't require any of that stuff. Why not pursue that instead? How many rig rockets are gonna have a jerry can of Urea? [laugh]

MikeyB 07-03-2008 01:44 PM

The Cummins 6.7L already meets the 2010 emissions now without the urea.

MikeyB

rip 112 07-03-2008 01:53 PM

More money at service time!!! They can have it!

cmac 07-03-2008 02:39 PM

"Urea fluid is injected into the exhaust stream to reduce nitrogen oxide levels."

might be a dumb question but what the heck is "UREA"???????

DBLR 07-03-2008 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by SOhappy (Post 2135830)
http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/201...500-spied.html

I think I'd trade the power for fuel economy :rolleyes:

| .................oh wait! I already did.
V

And the truck is still as Ugly as the 2008's are right now!

JMHO

MikeyB 07-03-2008 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by cmac (Post 2135982)
"Urea fluid is injected into the exhaust stream to reduce nitrogen oxide levels."

might be a dumb question but what the heck is "UREA"???????

Recycled beer......[coffee]

Urea is made with Ammonia.

MikeyB

Journier 07-03-2008 04:09 PM

your urine contains urea.

just pee pee in the fuel tank, probably clean up the emissions by 100%

johnny5.9 07-04-2008 09:55 AM

Does anybody know what this urea is going to cost? Where will it be available? I wonder if they"ll require diesel stations to carry it. The very idea of it seems so retarded. They couldn't come up with anything better than an additional fluid to monitor and maintain?

Jeff in TD 07-04-2008 12:29 PM

I think that is the big unkown. As I understand it Urea is generally an acidic liquid with ammonia that has been used with a catalist to reduce emissions from industrial sources.

What the formulation will be for automotive SCR systems remains to be seen, how much urea a vehicle will use is also pretty much a guess, as is how much it will cost...

Mattster 07-04-2008 02:35 PM

I'm curious to what they are doing to the tranny seeing as they added a larger transmission cooler. 8spd? 12? The tranny coolers on them are pretty good sized as it is.

dodgeguy71 07-04-2008 02:41 PM

"Sir your urea tank is just about empty, for an additional charge of $500 we can refill it for you" If you don't what happens?? Seems like they are taking the longevity part out of owning a diesel. Or jack up the costs of owning one so bad that owning a gasser will always be cheaper. Doing all this diesel emission stuff and our standards for "good" gas mileage have not changed in the last 15 years. Could buy a car getting 32 miles per gallon in the early 90's and today that is what they sell them at....unlike our foreign counterparts, dare I say toyota and honda?

Me, I think I've decided that I'll never own a truck newer than 2002.....Cummins. Just so much garbage on them now that will fall apart, friend works at a dodge dealer said the cp3 was pretty cheap, but the high pressure pump was $6700(may not have my pump wording right cause I don't know doodle about the 6.7 but he said one of those pumps was that price) and the injectors are $2000 each :o:o:o talk about messin some drawers!!

johnny5.9 07-04-2008 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by dodgeguy71 (Post 2136903)
"Sir your urea tank is just about empty, for an additional charge of $500 we can refill it for you" If you don't what happens?? Seems like they are taking the longevity part out of owning a diesel. Or jack up the costs of owning one so bad that owning a gasser will always be cheaper. Doing all this diesel emission stuff and our standards for "good" gas mileage have not changed in the last 15 years. Could buy a car getting 32 miles per gallon in the early 90's and today that is what they sell them at....unlike our foreign counterparts, dare I say toyota and honda?

Me, I think I've decided that I'll never own a truck newer than 2002.....Cummins. Just so much garbage on them now that will fall apart, friend works at a dodge dealer said the cp3 was pretty cheap, but the high pressure pump was $6700(may not have my pump wording right cause I don't know doodle about the 6.7 but he said one of those pumps was that price) and the injectors are $2000 each :o:o:o talk about messin some drawers!!

You're right about that. A back to back comparison in Diesel power saw the new d-max actually avg. a little less than the gasser. Why would you even bother to pay the extra $7000 to get the same mpg running more expensive fuel. Of course, some people may claim they "need" the power. But who really does? A gasser will haul all the GVWR of the diesel you'll just have to leave a little extra time to get there. And do these engineers even know the long term longevity of these diesels saddled with all this crap? Probably not and I doubt they care.