General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

$.02

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$.02

I have read and re-read all the posts here, mainly because I am not of a mind to lay out 7-10k for a new engine.

I use Fleetguard filters, they are not much higher than what I can buy the Fram for at Wal-Mart. My filters were only about $5.15, and that is for the Stratopore.

I was told at one time, and I DON'T KNOW the validity of the statement, but a mechanic told me that all oil filters were the same. The only thing that made them fail was rough handling breaking apart the inner workings.

Now whether or not that is true, I don't know. I will still use the Fleetguard filters because that is what I think is best. All a personal opinion.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:17 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
All filters are NOT created equal.
Dodge has specific list of filters that will allow you to retain your engine warranty.
There is a huge difference between a Fleetguard and a "get 2 for $5.00" Pep-Boy's special.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:01 PM

I don't doubt it at all.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:31 PM

I know they aren't cummins filters, but to give you an idea of the differences in construction of different filters you might find this site helpful:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

IMHO I think you've got the right idea. Why risk it trying to save a few bucks?
Old 02-02-2004, 07:03 PM
Banned

I learned the hard way that NO not all filters are the same. It is almost like saying all DIESELS are the same. True they all burn diesel fuel, But I would think most here would agree There is a huge difference between different makes of diesels.
Filters from the manufacturer that produced the engine are many times different then those from Fram,AC Delco,Wally Word, ect. The manufacturers often have features in their filters that are specific to the engines they build. These specific features can be anti-drain back valves,pressure relief valving, special particulate traps and more. Also, they often use one or more of these special features in the filters. But the off brands often leave them out, they are cheaper to produce and in-turn will bring a higher profit rating . When you go shopping for a filter, you will notice a fairly large price fluctuation. That higher price from Fleetguard or Cummins wasn't just to screw you over. It was there mainly because there filters cost more to produce then the other brands that don't adhere to the same manufacturing standards as they do. Trust me, there is no law that say's they have to build there filters with the same mechanics as the original manufacturer intended. I had a Toyota, and it kept eating the chain tensioners, these they tensioners that were oil pressure operated, and keep the upper and lower timing chains tight. After several replacements, a very nice Toyota mechanic told me to switch to the original Toyota oil filter, and my problems would disappear. Well, I did switch and never had another problem.....what was the difference between the two filters? The Toyota oil filter had an anti-drain back valve, the cheap (it was Fram) filter did not. I could not believe they were allowed to produce a filter that was labeled for my car, and have it not work. But after looking into the matter, I found that it seems to be an industry wide problem that is simply overlooked. I now never use anything except what the vehicle came with, that means Honda filter for the Honda and so Fourth.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:12 PM

We've covered this so many times, Ive lost count - yet people still insist on using Baldwin, Wix, Fram and all the others.....I cant figure that out. I feel that the LF3894 Stratopore filters were DESIGNED to be used on this engine and it really doesnt make much sense to use anything different....JMO
Old 02-02-2004, 08:46 PM

If you wish to further your evil studies, I'd direct you to some BMW motorcycle forums. Where in you will find people who bought an expensive bike not only bicker about what filter can save them a few bucks, but also what filter WRENCH they can use to save them from needing to buy the $12 BMW one. You see you can buy a $4 one at wally world, grind it down to fit, etc...
Old 02-02-2004, 09:27 PM

Now thats funny....thanks for the laugh.....
Old 02-02-2004, 09:31 PM

I must admit, I used Wix filters for about the first 150,000 miles. Then, I got a job next door to a Cummins dealer. One day I strolled in and actually looked at the Stratopore filter. That was all it took. Those massive inlet holes, 2 more than the Wix, and the overall appearance of the end cap sold me. I don't think Cummins would want one of their own filters causing any problems. I like the feeling I get screwing that bad boy on there. I don't care about the few extra duckets. That motor has been good to me, and I want to be good to it. When dealing with the most important circulatory system next to my own, what's a few dollars? Jim
Old 02-03-2004, 05:01 PM
Banned

You know this form and most other ones like it, are full of people that simi-****. The first line of there post usually goes "where can I find the cheapest___". I am all for getting the most for your money, but you will never get anywhere spending a dime to save a nickel. I don't know if they are just goofy or perhaps over extended? But saving a buck or two to buy inferior parts is just bad policy, or stupid. I love to modify any and everything I own, I also like looking at other projects. But if what you are doing doesn't help make the vehicle perform better, look nicer, be more comfortable, safer, improve convenience, or economy you did not add to the vehicle. Cutting corners or installing questionable parts or pieces and or using questionable service and maintenance procedures is wrong. Weather you are working on a Dodge Ram or a Ford Focus, if you first thought isn't to do a mechanically sound and safe repair then maybe you shouldn't be doing it. Bottom line, add ons are great as long as they don't take away from the manufacturers intended safe guards and designed integrity.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: $.02

Originally posted by sgrooms
I was told at one time, and I DON'T KNOW the validity of the statement, but a mechanic told me that all oil filters were the same.
All trucks are the same too.
All motorcycles are the same too.

It may be just me but I can not understand why anyone would pay the price we pay for these trucks and then turn around and hang the cheapest parts you can find on them.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:45 PM

I agree...

I whole heartedly agree with all on here regarding those filters. When looking at the Fram in Wal-Mart, it was priced about $4.50. The Fleetguard Stratopore that I bought was $5.15 shipped to my door. It would not have mattered to me if it had been $10.00, that was what I was going with.

The drive to save a dime makes no sense to me at all. Why on God's green earth would you scrimp on a $6 filter and risk a $10k engine???
Old 02-03-2004, 11:17 PM

Stupid question here. Were do you buy FLEETGUARD filters?
Old 02-04-2004, 12:36 AM

You can get them at any Cummins shop, any Cummins authorized repair shop, better truck stops, and both mail order & internet shopping (www.genosgarage.com)....
Old 02-04-2004, 01:20 AM

Thanks Dr Evil. I guess it's never too late to buy the right filter.