Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

WMO effect on Catalytic Convertors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WMO effect on Catalytic Convertors?

anybody here have any real world experience running WMO in trucks equipped with Cat-Cons? I searched this forum and have spent literally dozens of hours reading many interesting posts and threads, but havent read anything conclusive as far as the Catalytic convertors go. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-03-2008, 10:16 AM

Everyone one I've seen that run WMO doesn't have a CAT to start with or has removed it just for that reason!

I'm figuring that it has a better chance of clogging up sooner with alternative fuels than without. How much sooner who know. You can do it two was, remove now or replace later.

I just did mine at the same time as upgrading my exhaust while I was in there with the sawsall!
Old 06-03-2008, 05:15 PM

well.....

the trouble is, my truck is registered in Arizona. Emissions testing is still done here and they visually check for the "Catastrophic Contortor". So as far as I know, there would be no way to remove it and still pass emmissions requirements. So now what?
I was looking into building a Biodiesel reactor until I read about these newer trucks cant run it as effectively as the older 1st and 2nd Gen trucks.
I am kind of bummed out that the newer 3rd Gen's dont like being run on anything higher than B20 because of the fuel system, and can't run WMO because of the Cat-Con. Seems like I am screwed either way.
I am very much interested in ANYTHING i can do to lower my fuel costs. Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 06-03-2008, 06:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hollow the cat out and put it back on.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
Hollow the cat out and put it back on.
yeah i thought about that, but would it still pass the emissions test?
Old 06-04-2008, 10:10 AM

The tests I'm familiar with just visibly look to see if there is a cat.
The only test from the tailpipe is for opacity (smoke).
Old 06-04-2008, 02:39 PM

I'm pretty sure WMO will damage your cat, since WMO has a relatively high sulfur content. What I'm not sure about is what a "damaged cat" really means. I hear the cat has a porous ceramic material inside. So if it's damaged, does that simiply mean it stops doing its job but the truck still drives normally, or does in mean it plugs the exhaust rendering the truck inoperable? If it means the cat just stops doing its job but you can keep driving, I wouldn't worry about it.

Or do as others suggested and hollow out the cat.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by sdaly
I'm pretty sure WMO will damage your cat, since WMO has a relatively high sulfur content. What I'm not sure about is what a "damaged cat" really means. I hear the cat has a porous ceramic material inside. So if it's damaged, does that simiply mean it stops doing its job but the truck still drives normally, or does in mean it plugs the exhaust rendering the truck inoperable? If it means the cat just stops doing its job but you can keep driving, I wouldn't worry about it.

Or do as others suggested and hollow out the cat.

Yeah, sdaly, you raise a good point. Does it render the cat ineffective or does it plug it up reducing the exhaust flow through it? Anybody know how many miles it would take to plug it up, if at all? I am really interested in running filtered wmo
Old 06-05-2008, 09:54 AM

My experience with 12 valve cats is they can plug up running straight #2 in about 80-100k.
When they plug it causes restriction that results in low power and high egts.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:06 PM

???

12 valves came with factory installed cats????? I thought they didnt start putting cats on trucks till mid-way thru the 3rd gen production

anyway, 80k or more, heck that is fine with me. It'll take me 5 or 6 years to get that kind of mileage on the truck, and in that length of time, i'll surely come across another stock exhaust system or three

So what about coking the tips of the injectors? Or ash buildup on the turbocharger vanes and housing? I heard that mentioned in a thread somewhere too, but i've read sooo many in the archives over the last few weeks, it all starts to run together and even contradict itself at times. Never the less, this forum is a godsend of information for me and i'm grateful it exists, and that all of you who chime in with useful information, enrich my understanding of this truck.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Desert Dually
So what about coking the tips of the injectors? Or ash buildup on the turbocharger vanes and housing? I heard that mentioned in a thread somewhere too, but i've read sooo many in the archives over the last few weeks, it all starts to run together and even contradict itself at times. Never the less, this forum is a godsend of information for me and i'm grateful it exists, and that all of you who chime in with useful information, enrich my understanding of this truck.

anybody, anybody?

Also, what would be the effects (if any) on the EGR valve by burning WMO? Should I be concerned? Is there any periodic maintenance that I should be doing to the EGR if i am burning WMO?
Old 07-02-2008, 03:19 PM

I think the DPF is your bigger issue, if so equipped.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:09 PM

nope, no DPF here. They are only on the 6.7 trucks