Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Will diesel ever be cheaper than gas again?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 06:22 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by DodgeCowboy
*Puts on his flack jacket*

What irks me is that there 1000s of people who drive a diesel pickup and have zero use for them at all just because its cool to have a loud pickup thats fast big deal. All them people who are buying the diesel pickups are making it harder for us that do need the diesels to stay in a diesel pickup because of the rising prices vs demand for the oil. So think as this as survival of the fittest naturally selection if you will because eventually the people who bought them for the cheep fuel are going to be weaned out.

Yup it's folks llike me driving a diesel pickup that are causing the rise in fuel prices.........

NOT the people in China, the folks in India, the Europeans, and all the other countries that discovered that a Diesel powered vehicle gets better milage.

Not the fact that the US dollar is in the toilet, causing the stock market to drop, and the price of imported crude oil to skyrocket.

Definately couldn't be the unrest in the Middle East, OPEC reductions in output, the fact that the US hasn't built a new refinery in 20 years and there are thousands of more vehicles on the roads.

Or Oil Companies sending diesel fuel overseas because they can get more money for it in some foreign country.

Or the Countries that are DEMANDING the the US oil corporations give them more money for allowing them to take their natural resources and export them to the US.

Nope, it's guys like me in my diesel powered truck.............
Old 11-09-2007, 07:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use my diesel everyday but that don't mean i'm going to blame the guys who don't. It cost them more money to drive to work but they have their own choice. It's not them using fuel it's the big things in ex. the thousands of planes flying half full of people everywhere, war,trains,semis all of them probably being half as efficient as they could be not getting better mileage but not hauling full. This is every persons problem go to the local automotive store and order something and it will be in the next day not next week. How much are we willing to give up to save fuel?
Old 11-09-2007, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Shovelhead
Nope, it's guys like me in my diesel powered truck.............
Yea, you piggie..................

But then, who in America doesn't want a quick fix scapegoat.

Guess I'll line up next to you to receive our 40 lashes with a wet noodle........
Old 11-09-2007, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by DMAN99
I use my diesel everyday but that don't mean i'm going to blame the guys who don't. It cost them more money to drive to work but they have their own choice. It's not them using fuel it's the big things in ex. the thousands of planes flying half full of people everywhere, war,trains,semis all of them probably being half as efficient as they could be not getting better mileage but not hauling full. This is every persons problem go to the local automotive store and order something and it will be in the next day not next week. How much are we willing to give up to save fuel?
That's a good point. Airlines run their planes 24/7 regardless of number of passengers. I doubt it would hurt people's schedules much if they got together and decreased the number of flights per day in order to fill more flights. That would save a lot of fuel. A typical Boeing 747 consumes 4-5 gallons of fuel...............PER SECOND!

But then again all the Hummers running around in LA right now consume way more than 5 gallons per second. I'm not trying to make a point here. Just looking at both sides of the coin. I think the truth of the matter is that we need to decrease a little of both whether we like it or not (and we will someday).
Old 11-09-2007, 12:11 PM

Just today, the Brazilains announced the discovery of an 8 billion barrel oilfield off their coast. That ought to help a little.

Oilmen I know here in the Gulf for years have said there is a lot more oil in the ground than they let on to. Artificial scarcity keeps the prices up.
Oil topped $100. today, almost at an all time high adjusted for inflation, ($103 at todays prices and inflation). Globally, people will have to cut back and the price will come down as demand does. Green technology will reduce demand and price will follow. Us diehard petroleum users can take up the slack.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:15 PM

That's some good news. Maybe they won't join OPEC and start some competition.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:46 PM

If diesel surpasses the price of Kerosene I might have to make a switch to kerosene. My understanding a 12 v will burn it fine with no harm to the engine or injection pump.
Just a thought.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:09 PM

I read somewhere that a 747 gets 772 ft per gallon. The new boeings filled to 75% capacity get better mileage than cars if you consider it in a fuel burned per passenger mile. (one driver and one passenger per car) Money should be poured into public transportation systems. But it's not.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:31 PM

Hybrids such as the Prius and the Honda accord are the future. But their just that, the future. If you bought a Prius today, compared to driving our trucks, someone would be spending roughly $.50 more per mile you drive on energy. Now this is the total energy cost included in planning, prototyping, manufactuing, driving, maintaining, and disposing of these cars divided by the miles you'll drive. The Prius costs $2.865 per mile in energy and the dodge truck costs $2.42. The hybrid costs are coming down, but right now driving a hybrid has the same economic and environmental impact as driving a large SUV, like the surburban or tahoe.

Just some fun facts. If you guys want to know more, check out CNW Marketing Research Inc. They have a spreadsheet with numbers for every model offered to the US. market on their website. It may take some digging to find, but the information is public so go see for yourself.

Just spreading some truth.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tabing
Just today, the Brazilains announced the discovery of an 8 billion barrel oilfield off their coast. That ought to help a little.
Only problem is it's in deep water. It will take years before the Brazilians start pumping from those fields.

MikeyB
Old 11-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by RJ285
I read somewhere that a 747 gets 772 ft per gallon. The new boeings filled to 75% capacity get better mileage than cars if you consider it in a fuel burned per passenger mile. (one driver and one passenger per car) Money should be poured into public transportation systems. But it's not.
Just one problem with that, those jets are filled with passengers who really, in most cases do not need to be traveling. The prices are held artificially low to encourage full planes, not to reflect the actual cost of flying.

Make the price reflect the cost and you will not be flying to Vegas for a weekend or taking that stupid sales trip instead of picking up the phone.

Money is being poured down ratholes already with public transportation systems, once again, artificially subsidized with tax dollars that would be better utilized to remove gridlock. Believe it or not, the vast majority of US Citizens live where mass transit would be so inefficient it would run us out of oil in record time.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:11 PM

If it was peanut oil or soybean oil or any other energy fluid, we'd have the same conversation. The distribution of crude oil is controlled by a few organizations. There is no real competition.

My .52 cents worth.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:06 PM

I think the Brazillians will be pumping that field sooner rather than later. The technology exists to do that now. The politicians there, as here are greedy to get their hands on that money.

Brazil doesn't import any oil as they are bio-fuel self sufficient. Most of this oil will be expported. They are not an OPEC member, so they can charge whatever they want for this oil. They will charge less than world market prices to develop these field quickly. and lock up buyer contracts.

Don't fret and be patient, diesel will come down.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:33 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Well... eh. Diesel has been cheaper than gas here as long as they have been selling it.

Unleaded regular gas is 7.33$ per gallon and diesel is 5.55$ per gallon....

It's all because of the tax system here.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Erska
Well... eh. Diesel has been cheaper than gas here as long as they have been selling it.

Unleaded regular gas is 7.33$ per gallon and diesel is 5.55$ per gallon....

It's all because of the tax system here.
I never paid attention when I was in Finland in 2003...are you guys using the Euro, or our own Currency? Are those $ in US?

Chris

Quick Reply: Will diesel ever be cheaper than gas again?