Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Will diesel ever be cheaper than gas again?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will diesel ever be cheaper than gas again?

Will diesel ever be cheaper than unleaded like the good 'ole days? Where I live, the cheapest diesel is now officially 50 cents MORE per gallon than unleaded. 50 cents!! Some places are 70 cents more. That's a BIG difference...
Old 11-05-2007, 08:39 PM

i have come to the conclusion that it wont be for as long as i own a diesel. It seems that the day i bought by truck in 04, is when diesel consistantly became more than gas. So, until i get rid of it, it will always be higher. Now of course if i was thinking of everyone else and not just myself, i would sell it so diesel would come back down right?
Old 11-05-2007, 08:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
more diesel vehicles coming to the market place each year- diesel will never be "substanially" cheaper than gas again!
Old 11-05-2007, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
Will diesel ever be cheaper than unleaded like the good 'ole days?
Nope! Ain't happening! The oil companies know we'll pay the price like it or not ... they don't give a you-know-what. They just laugh all the way to the bank.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:17 PM

Not really complainin but the week I bought my truck was the 1st time diesel was above gas. O well.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Banned

Think of it this way....

The days of the family gasser pigs are all but about gone with the advent of more fuel efficent cars and trucks.Their much smaller tanks and better fuel milage means less bang at the pump when fuel up time happens.

HOWEVER...
A Class 8 rig with their near 300 gallon capacity and poor fuel milage,most between 5 to 8 mpg,make a HUGE slash to ones wallet when its fueling time.The added cost,or outrageous cost,to the trucking industry has to be lived with due to the severe limitations placed on the trucks(ie-wind,weather,road terrain,etc etc)and the owners wallets crys for mercy.

So who makes Big Oil happier....
Ma and her 13 gallon beaner mobile which gets near 30mpg or John Q Flatbroke and his 5-8mpg 300 gallon capacity Class 8 rig?.I can here the Big Oil people singing were in the money as the trucker fills up.Yep,the trucking industry passes that added cost on to us in fuel surcharges,but,they still never break even due to the cost of fuel.

And what about Big Oil you ask...
Well,while the trucking industry passes on the rising cost of fuel to the consumer in fuel surcharges,they get off scott free and reap the profits and laugh while all our goods keep going up in price.

Its a shame that we are now paying nearly 3 times what we used to for a product they used to try and give away years ago and a product that is a by product of making gasoline...........Andy
Old 11-05-2007, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by djcheez
i have come to the conclusion that it wont be for as long as i own a diesel. It seems that the day i bought by truck in 04, is when diesel consistantly became more than gas. So, until i get rid of it, it will always be higher. Now of course if i was thinking of everyone else and not just myself, i would sell it so diesel would come back down right?
No kiddin'. I bought mine on March 31st 2004, and the next month it shot up past premium for the first time. Sounds like some kind of warp in the space time continum if you ask me.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:54 PM

It will go back down in the Spring. Diesel is also used as heating oil so there is a very high demand for it right now.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:07 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bucket truck
It will go back down in the Spring. Diesel is also used as heating oil so there is a very high demand for it right now.
Not to mention there are A LOT more big rigs driving A LOT more miles right now delivering goods for the holiday season.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:27 AM

Coming out of spring into next summer... Or as soon as people start using natural gas instead of heating oil I guess.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:32 PM

Yea it's crazy how much prices have gone up. I remember not being able to imagine the day fuel prices would hit $4/gallon. That's almost a reality today.

Believe it or not I still view fuel as relatively cheap these days. Sure it's not a dollar anymore but compared to Europe and a lot of other countries, we're still living it up here with our proportionally good income. In India fuel is about the same price as here except most people there make less than a tenth of our minimum wage. Maybe I'm optimistic. Anyway, God bless America.

It sure would be nice to see diesel at least the same price as regular unleaded. What we make up in engine efficiency over gassers we lose in higher diesel prices.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:46 PM

Diesel Prices

I just had sticker shock at the pump. I paid $3.46 a gal. I never thought the day would come and I would pay that price.
Good thing my wife's car is Prius that way I can average the fuel mileage and try to feel better.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:40 PM

September 20 was the first day i saw diesel higher then regular gas here in Ontario. I never thought that would happen. I can remember 48 cents a litre a few years ago now it is almost 1 dollar.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:08 PM

Diesel is usually cheaper than Regular Gasoline, about 10cents a litre (42 cents a gallon US) in Winnipeg if you go to Flying J.

I guess they tax gasoline more here, but leave diesel tax lower for the trucking industry.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:21 PM

Why exactly is diesel more expensive anyways? I thought it was cheaper to manufacture?

Quick Reply: Will diesel ever be cheaper than gas again?