Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Vegeterrainian

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vegeterrainian

All,

Has anyone ran this product? It looks really nice and is prob the best price out there. Just throwing it out there...

Jake
Old 01-01-2007, 11:24 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
More info> http://www.vegeterrainian.com/

I don't know-- for $1568.25 and shipping you could buy a lot of diesel fuel plus you wouldn't have collect/buy any veggie oil. Very nice looking unit though.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:56 AM

I'm not convinced , that not processing the gliserin out , is a good thing .
I look at the higher enishall investment of the alternatives , like buy a quality part , tools , some times the payoff can take a while .
Theres no telling where the prices are going to , with the oil companies being greedy and the Left wanting to raise the price so that well respect the fuel more , if fuel cost's are $10 per gal , then we'll behave better , that makes me feal like Homer Simson choking Bart .
Old 01-01-2007, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by John Faughn
I'm not convinced , that not processing the gliserin out , is a good thing .
I look at the higher enishall investment of the alternatives , like buy a quality part , tools , some times the payoff can take a while .
Theres no telling where the prices are going to , with the oil companies being greedy and the Left wanting to raise the price so that well respect the fuel more , if fuel cost's are $10 per gal , then we'll behave better , that makes me feal like Homer Simson choking Bart .
What do you mean by not processing the glycerin out? I know when you process the oil to make bio, you get glycerin as a byproduct, but I thought that the WVO burns completely? Am I mistaken? Still learning, thanks for the help..

Jake
Old 01-01-2007, 11:08 PM

WVO will burn completely, but the glycerin cokes up injectors and isn't great for the engine. I'm still learning myself, haven't made any yet, but I've discovered alot of really good resources in my research. Try going through some of these sites, there's a ton more, just look for links on these. It's all about sharing knowledge in this hobby!

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel.html
http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/index.php
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/groupee

Happy reading!!

I'll be making my first batch this spring after I build my new big shed in the back. Wife won't let me experiment in the basement!
Old 01-01-2007, 11:14 PM

Oh yeah,, and why spend $1600 on some processor?? My first batches will all be done in 5gal pails, then I'll work up from there....
Old 01-01-2007, 11:15 PM

Just some more info pls...

I know the cokeing is bad, but what is the fall out? Does the oil change interval need to be bumped up? Or if this happens, are the WVO guys screwed?

What is the worse case scenario? Injectors, FP, LP? Thanks for your help guys...

Jake
Old 01-01-2007, 11:22 PM

What are you driving? I think I read somewhere that the high pressure common rail injected fuel system doesn't really agree with glycerin either. Can't remember the details, whether it's the pump or the injectors or what. I do remember though that glycerin = bad. Hence all the effort put into processing into bio. Most people running straight WVO seem to do so in older vehicles, 12V CTDS and such...

Wish I could be more help, but I haven't been keeping up on my reading lately...
Old 01-01-2007, 11:42 PM

Anything you have to bring to the plate is helpful; thanks..

I do indeed have a CR... I have a 2005 QC 4WD Auto....with of course a CTD... I just am loking at the benies of having this system. I am all but sold on it...

Jake
Old 01-01-2007, 11:50 PM

As far as I know there is only glycerin involved when you make biodiesel. It is produced, I believe, because of the lye that you mix with the VO.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:17 AM

the motor must be at operating temp first. starting and shutdown on wvo is when the glycerin comes into play. first, start on dino or bio, get to temp, switch to wvo, and about 5min before shutdown switch back to dino or bio to purge fuel system.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:38 AM

With all the coments since last post , where to start .
Gliserin is in all vegtible oil , I read a conflicting statment earlyer ," gliserin burns completely , but cokes up the eng." either it does or it doesn't , coke is unburned carbon , soot , ash , an abrasive that we do not want flowing through are engines .
A lot of people are going by what they beleave , rather than proven , I've started looking into this early , University , industrial , they had the manufactures tear down engines over time to check out .
There's been a lot of talk about different ways that people are making the gliserin burn , heat to 160 deg. fer. , mix with unleaded gas & alcahol , DSE .
One of the problems I have with those is none of the thorough studies , have bothered with not seperating out the gliserin , that is done by heating & mixing in a mixture of lye & methonal , then let gliserin to bottom , pull fuel off the top , then theres washing , PH testing , ect
I'm not a chemist so I want to be thorough about using an alturnitive fuel , I can not afford to ruin my eng. & I keep my stuff to the very end .

http://www.missouri.edu/~pavt0689/leon.html
Leon Schumacher's Home Page

http://www.intertek-cb.com/newsitete.../fuellab.shtml
Fuel Testing Lab
Old 01-02-2007, 11:55 AM

I too am just a normal guy who keeps thier stuff to the end, which is why I am trying to get all the info on this as possible...

So I know this is bad for the engine, but would more oil changes be a fix action or are we just hosed on the deal? Thanks very much for your inputs...

Jake
Old 01-02-2007, 12:19 PM

It would seem that your thinking is a little off [ do not take as neg ]
I would not do the bad in the 1st place , and then try to make up for it .
I plan on processing [ transesterfication ] as I mentioned above , right now I have access to comercialy processed bio now .
I would have started making my own a couple yrs. ago but I do not own any property to build on , I have thought about putting a processor in a trailer .
It would seem to me that there is not a lot of difference cost & labor wize between the 2 methods [ transesterfication & straight WVO ] so why not avoid the possibly detrementle [ leaving the gliserin in .
Old 01-02-2007, 02:48 PM

Actually it looks more labor intensive going the bio route. WVO only requires you to filer and fill where as bio is filter, brew, add, then fill. I figured it would take more time and space going this route IMHO...Jake