Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Vegetable oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Vegetable oil

Hello, I bought a 2007 Dodge 2500 4x4 Diesel 5.9L and have access to used vegetable oil and used motor oil but, I don't want to blow my engine. Can any one help me a tell me if I can run used vegetable oil in the tank or used motor oil in the tank or do I have to mix something with it, I only have 44,000 mile on my truck and I want it to last along time so if useing used vegetable oiul or used motor oil will hurt it I'm not going to do it so if you know any thing about this please help. Thanks Scotty
Old 11-03-2009, 06:37 AM

Is this an 5.9L or 6.7L '07? I've been doing used motor oil (WMO-waste motor oil) for a while now with my '05. I don't know how the newer 6.7L would handle it.

First you'll need to look at how many miles you put on when you drive.

If you drive alot, I would recommend that you do a conversion with two tank system and heated fuel lines. For system like this look into companies like Golden Fuel Systems, Greasecar, and Frybrid. There are very many out there, you'll need to decide on what system is best for you. This I've heard works great for veggie oil.

You can also make biodiesel with the waste veggie oil. But you will need to blend that down to 20% bio during colder months.

Both system required filtering and dewatering.

Otherwise there is the less accepted way of doing things. That is diesel blending. There is where you mix diesel and WMO or WVO (waste veggie oil), filter, dewater and add directly to your tank. This is what I do. I have a 55gal drum with a 5-1 micron filter sock where I mix WMO, diesel, power service in a gray bottle and 5% gas. Then it goes through a diesel pump through a 5 micron water filter into my tank.

Any which system that you go with, it is strongly recommend to run gauges first so you know how the engine is suppose to be. That way you can have early warn on an problem, like a stock lift pump that goes out like in my case.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:06 AM

I have been doing a lot of testing & research with alternative fuels & energy .
I was for about 4 yrs. a fan of bio-diesel , but against WVO , from the info I was gathering .
After doing all this for a while , and looking closely at my fuel containers , I was noticing that in all crevices , there were an accumulation of thick - gummy residue of the bio-diesel , and since it is mandated min. 2% here in MN. , and talking with the guys that do maintainance on the pumps at filling truck stops , that I would no longer use bio-diesel .
As for WMO , I had seen premature wear on a number of parts , I would say that if your a chemist and have test equipment to clean up the WMO , such as PH , particles ect. , that you should not use either .
Your questions are so basic , that I would say that your about to ruin your truck , you need to do a lot of research , to know what your doing , a couple of questions here is not enough , just a suggestion , to save your truck .
Old 11-03-2009, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Do what you like, no way I would ever consider WVO in a CR.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isn't the CR a higher pressure which will foam bio-diesel...
Old 11-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel Dave2
Isn't the CR a higher pressure which will foam bio-diesel...
I thought if it was un-treated oil, not actual bio diesel you run the risk of crystallization of the glycerin in the rail. The CR engines need very clean and pure Biodiesel, not just dumping in waste oil.. Thats what I read anyway..
Old 11-03-2009, 11:21 PM

i run wvo in my old 2grand diesel mercedes. won't do it in anything else i have. if during the heat of summer i might throw in a gallon of filtered wvo just to lube the inj. if something goes you will never recoupe your savings from running wvo or biodiesel.