Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Transformer Oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transformer Oil

I have sourced a whole bunch of transformer oil from a friend at a electric utility; they pay a bunch to get rid of the stuff. Does anybody know anything about this stuff? I threw some on a camp fire and it burns like diesel, maybe a little slower. It's clear and just a little thicker than diesel; nothing like wmo. Somebody told me the stuff is toxic, the last thing I want to do is turn the truck into a people fogger. Thanks for any info/opinions. cd
Old 09-10-2008, 02:12 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PCB's. ever heard of them.

Yeah, transformer oil is a wee bit carcinogenic at best. They say the newer stuff isn't as bad, but then neither are the newer brake linings that are "asbestos free". ok sure.

I realise that fuel is expensive, but stick with dino or veg based products, don't get carried away
Old 09-10-2008, 02:27 PM

Weren't PCB's banned in 1977? That being said...unless you know the actuall chemical make-up of the oil...I wouldn't run it through your truck. Find out all you can about it. I'm interested to hear what it is.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:29 PM

I just did some quick research...no PCBs have been used in new equipment since the 60's and 70's. The new stuff seems to be mineral-oil based material. I don't know what you have...find out for sure...it could be usable.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My uncle works for dominion power as a lead lineman ( he retires in 6 months) He said he wouldn't mess with it especially if it is used. Who knows what is in that stuff some may have came out of 40 year old transformers with pcb and everything else.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:57 PM

Further investigation

They have over 1500 gallons of the stuff drained out of a bunch of transformers just replaced for more efficient ones. It would be nice to see the date labels on those things as well; supposed to be newer stuff but I will get it checked at the fuel lab on the base. I do know what PCB's are and don't want to mess with them. I'll post my results and would like to hear if anybody has ever tried the stuff; it's supposed to be pretty high quality oil with zero moisture so there isn't any arching in the windings. cd
Old 09-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Is the health risk really worth the $6000 you'd save in fuel?
Old 09-10-2008, 08:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
they can not let any pcb contaminated oil out , there is no pcb in that oil it is high quality mineral oil of about 5 to 10 weight and will burn just fine
Old 09-11-2008, 08:05 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I work for a utility and there are literally thousands of transformers still in use which have PCB oil. As far as I know we are the only utility which has proactively been replacing the contaminated ones w/the more up-to-date (safer) transformers. The oil is highly toxic and kills all vegetation upon contact. I would not recommend touching or using the stuff.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:15 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sounds like the question is if the older PCB waste oil is mixed with the newer waste oil. My bet is it isn't even for recycling purposes.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:35 AM

Federal law prohibits the ditribution of PCBs. So no company would give away or sell oil that contains PCB because the fines would be tremendous. I have been researching this. The EPA site has a whole listing of rules governing this stuff if you all would like to also. However, it is boring reading. The oil you can get should not, by law, have any PCB in it. If it does...whoever is giving it to you can be in big trouble. If it turns out to be just highly refined mineral oil...which is probably what it is...it will burn safely. If it turns out to have PCB in it...your garage and truck will be declared a Hazardous Waste Site...by law.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:09 AM

1)Have the company provide you with the "material safety data sheets (msds) of the product.2) Those in charge of the disposal to you will of course sign the forms you provide releasing you from liability,3) making you aware of any known or porported health risks.End of story.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Something to think about, even here there are companies actively trying to buy all your old waste oil, most pay in excess of a buck a gallon for old motor oil.

If it weren't contaminated with bad stuff, why wouldn't they sell it instead of paying big bucks to have it hauled away?
Old 09-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I am in charge of a transformer recyclying devision and the ones we get have oil that is less than 1 PPM or a few that are less than 50 PPM pf the PCB's. If this is something that will work I might look into it. I have an almost endless supply
Old 09-11-2008, 06:06 PM

I have kin that burns jet fuel with additives. A friend of his burns the mineral oil out of transformers in a cr. He said both burn just fine, the cr is really quite with the mineral oil. I would just make sure of the quality and maybe put a big inline filter just to be safe.

Quick Reply: Transformer Oil