Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Starting WMO!!! (???'s)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Starting WMO!!! (???'s)

But I need some final questions answered before I dump the stuff in,

1. What is the max diesel/oil ratio for my truck?

2. Besides water and Dot 3 what are the oils that wont work?

ie, synthetic? gear? I know ATF is fine, how about regular hydraulic?

3. Will power service etc.. addatives affect the wmo mix for good or bad?

I alreaday have my filtration set up for a 1 micron finnish, I am just a bit hesitant to pour synthetic etc..... into the tank, need some forum endorsed confidence!!

these are the questions plaugeing me right now, any other advice is welcome as well if I forgot anything.

Thanks in advance, I plan on filtering/mixing 5-10 gallons this weekend.

here goes into the WMO world!!!
Old 02-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is your source of WMO? If you can control the mix then you can burn everything you mention. Some of the items you list have different burning properties so keep that in mind as you mix. If only Dino based oil you can easily go to 50% mix. If you are burning synthetics then keep them below 10%. These are obviously not hard and fast limits but you can start with these limits and adjust as you go along. Filtering is the biggest thing, recirc your mix/storage tank to make sure you have it clean to 1 micron.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:53 PM
Chapter President

What are the adverse effects of synthetic at higher concentrations?
Old 02-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dieselcarpenter
What are the adverse effects of synthetic at higher concentrations?
More smoke from incomplete burn is one of the biggest. Test it with your truck and see how how much is too much for you.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ATF is not fine.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:09 PM

i wouldnt run atf, not sure of the burning proporties but more of a concern that its red might be just enough in there to change the color that little bit and raise a few eyebrows if you ever get dipped...
Old 02-17-2009, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by dieselcarpenter
But I need some final questions answered before I dump the stuff in,

1. What is the max diesel/oil ratio for my truck?

2. Besides water and Dot 3 what are the oils that wont work?

ie, synthetic? gear? I know ATF is fine, how about regular hydraulic?

3. Will power service etc.. addatives affect the wmo mix for good or bad?

I alreaday have my filtration set up for a 1 micron finnish, I am just a bit hesitant to pour synthetic etc..... into the tank, need some forum endorsed confidence!!

these are the questions plaugeing me right now, any other advice is welcome as well if I forgot anything.

Thanks in advance, I plan on filtering/mixing 5-10 gallons this weekend.

here goes into the WMO world!!!
Some of these guys know more about the subject than me, but I would not burn any synthetic anything in my truck. I have burned various oils, kerosene, etc., but I am not burning synthetics whose ingredients I have no hope of understanding.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:36 AM

I run a mixture from h*%* in my 12valve; every thing from synthetic 75/90 to 15/40 to pure hyd. oil. I choked her up with about a 70% mix when it got to 25*f; put a new filter and it would barely run until I wa able to get some more #2 in her If you can mix/stir "ANY" #2 in with it before it hits your tank you will be WAY happier. My toughest time is when I first dump it in and it settles without being mixed up. It will run rough until my first few corners...
Old 02-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Chapter President

Question

I figured synthetic should burn, it has to go some where if your running it in a tired leaky ring motor, or else it would drown the cylinder.

Any more adivice? Probably not going over 50% oil/#2 on any mix for now.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:53 PM

OK from the top I burn ratio's up to 90% depending on outside temp ATF is fine if dino based so is 1450# gear oil but it needs to be run at lower ratio's than 15-w40 does in fact for my uses any dino based oil is OK with the nod going to WMO out of propane forklifts. Filtering is a must for me & 2 microns is what I do through a water separator. I use PS the same as with straight dino what I don't use is any synthentic oil at all, I tried it in a ferd & it just plugged filters & turned to a goo & I never did figure out why.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:43 AM

Smile my 2 cents

I run a LOT of synthetic in mine and havent had any issues with it not burning. Really I cant tell the difference between it and dino. Burns the same in my truck. Hydraulic oil burns the best though. Also, what somebody said earlier, about mixing the WMO (or whatever else you are burning) thoroughly with the diesel fuel, that is very important. Otherwise, it can stratify (settle in levels) in the fuel tank.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:59 AM

Atf

I have burned over a thousand of gallons of used ATF in a diesel generator with NO problems. During the cold of winter I add 10% diesel, other then that I burn it straight.

I have used a lot of synthetic engine oil as well with no problems. I was under the assumption that it is Dino Oil as well. Is that true?

Ken Gardner
Old 09-01-2009, 01:20 PM

Only when its going to be below 20* do I worry about gelling & then I add up to 10% RUG & never had a problem down to -30*.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:48 PM

I've run every type of oil from every source imaginable (including a lot of both ATF and oil from refrigeration compressors) at ratios up to 90%+ with no ill effects except one: forgetting you're burning mostly ATF. The smell at the very next stoplight will make you think you busted a tranny cooler line and have hot ATF spraying all over the pavement.

Other than that? Nothing but good, smokey fuel.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:12 AM

Heated system

Originally Posted by shorthair
Only when its going to be below 20* do I worry about gelling & then I add up to 10% RUG & never had a problem down to -30*.
Would it be worthwhile to use a heated fuel system, like the ones used on a two tank WVO setup, to keep used oil from gelling?
Ken

Quick Reply: Starting WMO!!! (???'s)