Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Record Profits for Oil Company

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by infidel
You are the one who has no idea what you're talking about.
I take it you haven't read the Energy Policy Act of 2005 have you?
Give it a try http://energy.senate.gov/public/_fil...nceReport0.pdf

The bill includes an estimated $85 billion worth of subsidies and tax breaks for the oil and gas industries.
Tax breaks. Do you know why they get TAX BREAKS?

To explore unconventional resources (Barnett Shale, Coal Bed Methane, Tar Sands)!!!

You see farmers and their kids driving around in 50k$ diesel trucks and HUGE houses but nobody complains about them getting subsidies from uncle sam!!
Old 02-03-2006, 05:11 PM

FWIW, Cummins reported record profits and I don't see Congress demanding investigations....

http://www.cummins.com/cmi/content.j...=true&menuId=4
Old 02-03-2006, 05:32 PM

i guess thats why there are no oil companies now?...they werent making any money all these years??.........all time record profits?what part of that do you not understand?.....as said,,i guess the power company should quadruple your rates also?...there can be no loss of demand,gas is a neccessity.and everyone says the market drives the price,is the market also the ones cutting production,therefore keeping prices where they are at?....if the government is allowed to step in on labor disputes and tell a worker what he has to accept ,then i dont see why it shouldnt be able to intervene with big company also.....i guess whats good for the goose,doesnt apply to the gander in this case?...........you keep depending on the company making record profits on gas to look into other fuels,and i guess mcdonalds is looking into dropping their hamburger line too.... ...............bama
Old 02-03-2006, 09:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by VADSLRAM
The only problem with the "profits are the capitalist way and shouldn't be messed with" is that at this point motor fuel is not discressionary. too many Americans depend on their vehicles for survival. Why can't water companies, or electricity companies charge whatever they want?
I'm not saying go communist but I think there needs to be some regulation. If profits were capped then more money would be put into research. Why?
Because human nature is that you give me a limit and I'll find a way around it. so If my profit on oil SALES is capped I'll put more money into research because profits on new products isn't capped and I can be on boards of two subsidiaries that each give bonuses.
How would that work? The oil companies would say screw the US and sell it the highest overseas bidder. And the oil companies moves the headquarters to the Bahamas.

MikeyB