Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/fuels-biodiesel-diesel-prices-110/)
-   -   I hate ULSD.... (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/fuels-biodiesel-diesel-prices-110/i-hate-ulsd-115045/)

MikeyB 09-03-2006 10:10 AM

I hate ULSD....

Filled up this morning at Wally mart, $2.769 BTW. This is my third fillup since running ULSD and pretty much determined ULSD is killing my fuel economy. Losing around 2-3mpg average.
Say goodbye to 18-19mpg around town and hello to 15-16mpg. [verymad]

MikeyB

infidel 09-03-2006 12:07 PM

Think you're just going to accept the fact that ULSD is here to stay and that cleaner air saves you more money in the long run with reduced health problems, not just for yourself but for those you support with earned and tax dollars.

Hemi Dart 09-03-2006 12:34 PM

I didn't notice a drop in fuel economy. I did notice how clean it burns and how little smell the exhaust has.

MikeyB 09-03-2006 12:35 PM

I know. I don't mind the cleaner air but hate losing the fuel economy.

MikeyB

Begle1 09-03-2006 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by infidel (Post 1114311)
Think you're just going to accept the fact that ULSD is here to stay and that cleaner air saves you more money in the long run with reduced health problems, not just for yourself but for those you support with earned and tax dollars.

So2 doesn't attribute to health problems, though, does it?

(Well, unless you're 15 foot tall and called David...)

Guardrail 09-03-2006 04:17 PM

We haven't seen that junk yet. I guess we have to wait a little longer for the pipeline to flush out before we get the pleasure of added engine heat and lower economy in Kansas.

CIN'S DODGE 09-03-2006 06:15 PM

I agree with Infidel. There are areas around here that already have it ,I haven't seen it yet. As far as doing anything about it,you can't,unless you go buy a New one or go to gas.That's my thought.Cin

TRCM 09-03-2006 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Begle1 (Post 1114346)
So2 doesn't attribute to health problems, though, does it?

(Well, unless you're 15 foot tall and called David...)

David was the small one...GOLIATH was the big one.......

dodgeguy71 09-03-2006 07:24 PM

We don't have it here yet either....not to many people I know around here are concerned that it's not. Friend of mine keeps telling me to get down to an oil company in Lawrenceburg and pick up some bean oil additive, comes in 5 gallon buckets, says he loves it, puts back the lubricity.

Begle1 09-03-2006 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by TRCM (Post 1114605)
David was the small one...GOLIATH was the big one.......

This David...
http://www.wmich.edu/~emrl/vt/pics/m...ecchio_mid.jpg
To my knowledge, nobody's connected health risks with SO2; SO2 just causes acid rain. (Which, of course, we'll pay for in decreased crop and timber productivity, building maintenance and "cultural loss".)

NOx is what causes all the health problems. And "particulates", supposedly. :rolleyes:

bmoeller 09-03-2006 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by dodgeguy71 (Post 1114652)
pick up some bean oil additive, comes in 5 gallon buckets, says he loves it, puts back the lubricity.

That has ben around for quite a while. No need to when they are selling B11 here. My Ram seems to like it too.

RCW 09-03-2006 11:20 PM

ULSD has about a 12% lower BTU rating than the previous low sulphur version. BTU's are what create the heat and power in a diesel, so the best solution is to compensate for the lighter fuel by bumping up your initial timing a couple degrees to maximize the burn. For the third gen's pick up the Rokktech timing sensor and set your initial timing up, and you will barely notice the fuel consumption drop.

2500CTD 09-03-2006 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by RCW (Post 1114974)
ULSD has about a 12% lower BTU rating than the previous low sulphur version. BTU's are what create the heat and power in a diesel, so the best solution is to compensate for the lighter fuel by bumping up your initial timing a couple degrees to maximize the burn. For the third gen's pick up the Rokktech timing sensor and set your initial timing up, and you will barely notice the fuel consumption drop.

What can 2nd gens do?

MikeyB 09-04-2006 07:37 AM

I do have a Rokktech installed and the fuel economy still dropped. Also running 16oz of Power Service Diesel Klean with cetane booster.

MikeyB

DieselDaze 09-04-2006 09:19 AM

If you have it in your area, perhaps you should check into running bio.
I dont know what will do for your economy, but perhaps it may help.
Rich.

Shovelhead 09-04-2006 09:21 AM

It seems Diesel & Gasser alike have a new cross to bear. :( and it's called EPA Clean Air Regs.
The tests with gassers running E85 Ethanol/Gasoline show a reduction of ~25% in mpg over straight gasoline.
At least we're still looking at better efficiency.

SolarExpress 09-04-2006 09:43 AM

Didnt someone post on this site from a Cummins rep that the ULSD has the same BTU per gallon as the LSD? My mileage has not decreased. Still hovering around 20-21.

srt20 09-05-2006 08:23 PM

I think it has made its way here. My last 2 tank fills were lower by 2-3 mpg also.

rustbucket 09-05-2006 08:46 PM

What gripes me is they are useing it as a excuse,to keep diesel prices high. If gas drops much more around here,there is going to be a dollar a gallon differance,between gas and diesel,it's at 77 cents now.

chaos24valve 09-05-2006 09:42 PM

Thats ridiculous, we still have the old smokey diesel here, guess we need to get our kicks in on it now before things get worse!!!! ;.; Bye bye smoke.

RustyJC 09-06-2006 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by RCW (Post 1114974)
ULSD has about a 12% lower BTU rating than the previous low sulphur version.

From Chevron's ULSD FAQs:

Energy Content:
In general, the processing required to reduce sulfur to 15 ppm also reduces the aromatics content and density of diesel fuel, resulting in a reduction in energy content (BTU/gal). The expected reduction in energy content is on the order of 1% and may affect fuel mileage.
Rusty

BowtiedCTD 09-06-2006 03:21 PM

i dont think i have run it yet but my brother has seen it around our area. and i hate the fact that there are 70 cents difference between gas and diesel. maybe i have ran it, i was wondering y i was loosing some economy....hhhmmmmm im gonna have to check into that.

dodgezilla04 09-06-2006 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by infidel (Post 1114311)
, not just for yourself but for those you support with earned and tax dollars.

are you trying to start another rant on the welfare system?[nonono]

ulsd isnt here yet, the mileage is bad enough. not much I can do there, just wondering what it is actually going to do to my performance though.

SolarExpress 09-06-2006 03:32 PM

Diesel has been averaging about 40 cents a gallon more than regular here in Houston. I did see it for 2.749 at a Shell station on my way to work this morning. I find it hard to believe is costs the refiners ~.50/gallon more to make ULSD than it did to make LSD. Are they trying to recoup ALL of their investment on their new refining equipment immediately? Are diesel drivers now subsidizing the gasoline drivers? I see no reason for diesel to be so much higher than gas. Even ULSD in not as refined a product as regular unleaded.[verymad]

JCJones 09-06-2006 03:33 PM

Noticed yesterday that the local station had changed the sticker to say that 2007 and newer CAN run this fuel.

Only ran ~120 miles so far, and the overhead is reading 15.2 (remodeling my bathroom, and like any plumbing job, it takes 5 trips to Home Depot to get everything, so there were 4 or 5 trips of 6 miles roundtrip in there to kill the mileage).

With the trip I made yesterday, plus a bunch of small trips, I would normally still read 16.1 - 16.4 on the overhead (which normally runs 16.5-17.0 hand calc'd).

I realize 1/4 tank isn't very revealing, but so far it seems as though it has dropped a bit...and if you figure that I still had about 5 gal of LSD in the tank, it does not bode well for the ULSD. Guess I'll get a better feel after a few tanks...I'll just tell the wife that I have to make a bunch of trips for "research!".[laugh]

BTW...the station with the ULSD dropped almost 30 cents in the week since I last filled up, and that was when they were still running LSD. Now they are about 10 cents cheaper than the Exxon a mile away that still has LSD. Go figure.

bnold 09-06-2006 03:49 PM

Saw a difference of 88cents in Denton TX!!!!! [verymad] [verymad]

infidel 09-06-2006 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by dodgezilla04 (Post 1118058)
are you trying to start another rant on the welfare system?[nonono]

Not at all, but you know as well as I that if someone who can't afford it gets sick in this country they aren't denied treatment. All of us end up paying for sickness in the long run.

dodgezilla04 09-07-2006 03:18 PM

how correct you are.

taildragger 09-08-2006 09:21 AM

I've actually gotten better efficiencies with ULSD. I got an average of 21 in Texas this summer with it (city highway) and got about 18 with B99. In New Mexico I found some and got 24 mpg. With the LSD here in Oklahoma I get about 19 mpg.

I remember hearing somewhere that the ULSD is supposed to have a higher cetane number, but I could just be delirious.

Lee S 09-08-2006 10:08 AM

"...if someone who can't afford it gets sick in this country they aren't denied treatment."

That depends on what insurance company is involved.

infidel 09-08-2006 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Lee S (Post 1120542)
"...if someone who can't afford it gets sick in this country they aren't denied treatment."

That depends on what insurance company is involved.

Pretty sure it's a federal law that a person can't be denied treatment at an emergency room due to lack of money or insurance.
That's why people without money or insurance clog up the emergency rooms with problems that aren't really emergencies.
As a result healthcare and insurance premiums are raised for the rest of us.

cowboy352u 09-08-2006 10:39 AM

amen brother

XLR8R 09-08-2006 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by infidel (Post 1120565)
Pretty sure it's a federal law that a person can't be denied treatment at an emergency room due to lack of money or insurance.
That's why people without money or insurance clog up the emergency rooms with problems that aren't really emergencies.
As a result healthcare and insurance premiums are raised for the rest of us.

You are correct, sir! [guitar]

firewalker 09-08-2006 08:28 PM

ulsd

[laugh] absolutely correct.i have been in fire ems for 15 yrs and the majority of people i take to hospital dont have a job.people that have jobs dont call for am ambulance at 0300am for bellyache.they take somethin and go to bed coz they know they gotta go to work in the morning.i have asked doctors in er to write people scrips for a job instead of meds,because there is nothing wrong with most of these people that a job would not cure. i dont know how we got on this subject ,my apologies to administrators.i feel much better now btw my fuel mileage seems to have dropped by 2mpg since using ulsd,can we buy sulfur in a can anywhere?[laugh]

infidel 09-09-2006 10:52 AM

i dont know how we got on this subject
It's within the subject because the entire reasoning behind ULSD is cleaner air, which results in better heath for everyone.
Don't think you'll find anyone claiming that smog is good for you.
The higher price and lower mpgs with ULSD will hopefully balance out or come out ahead of the hidden costs we pay for dirty air.

HOHN 09-09-2006 11:15 AM

ONE MEASLEY PERCENTAGE POINT??

That's how much less energy content?

IMO, that's a miniscule price to pay for the much cleaner burning of ULSD.

I'm expecting VP44 failures to lessen with the new fuel.

Bill's completely right about the sickness thing. We pretty much already have socialized medicine, and the ULSD is just part of our premium in this new HMO.

Brings new meaning to the term "premium diesel", EH????

2500CTD 09-11-2006 04:39 AM

A while ago, the wife had a bad bad ear ache. Keep me up all night, took her to the ER, I tried to sleep there. had to work the next day. I think only one other person wsa actually in pain there. I swear it was a hangout for some people....

Umm no ULSD in OR yet....I do lots of city driving...avg about 15mpg, using the right pedal to help steer...and I wonder why I need tires...[duhhh]

Buckshotmckee 09-11-2006 08:32 AM

So here is a thought. With them removing the sulfur from the diesel because of the particals, this in turn has resulted in a decrease in fuel mileage which results in us using more fuel??? http://deephousepage.com/smilies/conf40.gif Yes???

Soooo how is this going to be be healthier???

XLR8R 09-11-2006 08:50 AM

The decrease in energy content (BTU/gal) of ULSD from LSD is reported to be about 1%, which won't effect mileage as much as how many bugs smash into your grill on any given summer drive...

... so far, anecdotal evidence for mileage differences have been both sparse and contradictory.

DBLR 09-11-2006 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R (Post 1123788)
The decrease in energy content (BTU/gal) of ULSD from LSD is reported to be about 1%, which won't effect mileage as much as how many bugs smash into your grill on any given summer drive...

... so far, anecdotal evidence for mileage differences have been both sparse and contradictory.

If the energy content lost is only 1% then why is it that the one tank of it I got on my vacation this summer gave me a loss of 3.25 mpg. I know I'm not the only one who has lost 2-3 mpg from ULSD.

2500CTD, what part of OR are you in? I moved from OR to IA last year and I'm very happy with lower cost of living and friendly people.

Just my $0.02