Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

How do you filter your WMO? What raito?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 10:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by COMP
a coffee filter is 7 micron ???
The Fleetguard fuel filter for the CR is 7 microns. Don't know what's the rating for a coffee filter is.

BTW, I'm running the 5 micron Baldwin filter in my truck.

I was just testing with a coffee filter. That oil is going to be refiltered once my 1 micron bag filters arrive.

MikeyB
Old 07-08-2008, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Dually
that sounds like an efficient set up you have there. I do hope that you are sending the oil on several passes thru the filtration before you pour it in the fuel tank. It's weird how filters will catch more junk out of the fuel in multiple passes. I filter mine at least 3 times, but i do it by hand. If you have an electric pump, you can just let it circulate thru the filtration system for an hour or so and let it really polish the oil into a purer form of fuel for your truck.
Zactly. I run the "outflow" back into the tank and let it run like that for at least 2 hours. The pickup is in the bottom center of the barrel and the return line is set to create a vortex, or whirlpool, to make sure every gallon makes several trips through the filter.

Whole thing cost me about $65.00. I've run over 450 gallons through it. Niiice.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:14 PM
I watch wind blow...

where are ya'll running across that much WMO?? seems like a pain for me to do this once every 5k miles when i change the oil
Old 07-09-2008, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by 03RAMBUNCTIOUS
where are ya'll running across that much WMO?? seems like a pain for me to do this once every 5k miles when i change the oil
I have a commercial auto repair business. I have plenty of WMO.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by 03RAMBUNCTIOUS
I have a LOT of friends and neighbors who tend to show up at my door when having auto issues or want to do some maintenance on their cars but dont have all the tools, axle stands, drain pans, Nascar jacks, etc, that are in my garage LOL lucky me. But over some time and experience, I have got oil changes down to a 12 minute procedure nowadays on almost any vehicle except for a modern corvette (those are a royal pain unless you have a lift). Between all of these people and their girlfriends and parents and siblings, i have plenty of WMO at any given time. Plus I get to keep all the extra ½ quarts and stuff from cars that only take 4½ quarts to fill them. If you start putting the word out that you change peoples oil, they'll pay you to do it and sometimes even bring dinner and/or beer (a big plus for me - i'm a bachelor) When you think about it, you are a getting a constant supply of alternative fuel that way. For free, just takes a little bit of your time. If people are going to be "donating" their WMO to your cause, try to steer them towards dino oils rather than synthetic oils, which tend to smoke more and not run as well when used as a fuel in diesel engines from what i've heard.

I may have occaisonally unknowingly ran some synthetic oil through, but i try to make an effort to know the source of the oil if i'm going to be running it through my engine. So far, so good.

YMMV.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:12 AM

Our oil comes from friends and family.

I'm going to do a test this evening with synthetic oil to see how well it burns since we also have a mix of dino and synthetic. I think it will be ok as long it's mixed together.

BTW, the 1 micron bag filters arrived, that is some thick material!

MikeyB
Old 07-10-2008, 07:16 AM

Mikey in my experence synth is a mistake that you will regret since it tends to turn to a goo that will plug the filter & cause fuel starvation & to top it off you will have to find some way to drain the tank also.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by shorthair
Mikey in my experence synth is a mistake that you will regret since it tends to turn to a goo that will plug the filter & cause fuel starvation & to top it off you will have to find some way to drain the tank also.
Hmmm. I'll check for that. I have some fresh synthetic oil that I can mix with diesel in a beaker.

MikeyB
Old 07-13-2008, 07:25 PM

You know, thats sounds like another "synthetic myth" Diesel engines have fuel blow-by just like any other engine. I work at a truck shop maintaining a fleet of trucks, and we run full synthetic in everything. Ive never seen any sludge in these motors.

But, I would still do testing first. Im thinking of running WMO in my truck, as I trow away probably 20-30 gallons a week, but it is synthetic oil. Ill have to get some from the next change and see what happens when I mix it with diesel 50/50.

Im working in my head on what I would need to build to run a gravity feed system, that could do 5 gallons at a time. The simpler, the better. Ill post pics one I get it all figured out.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:51 PM

Here is what I came up with.

5 gallon buckets and all gravity feed. I'm hoping I can get it to siphon through the 10in filter. If not, I may have to do something different. Everything IMO could be picked up at a local hardware store expect for the filter. Here is the link for what I want to use.

Housing
http://cgi.ebay.com/10-inch-Filter-H...QQcmdZViewItem

with these filters
http://www.5starwater.com/page4.html

What do you guys think?
Old 07-13-2008, 07:58 PM

I did a test between synthetic vs. conventional motor oil. I soaked paper towels in Castrol GTX and Mobil 1. They both burned about the same rate.

And Mobil 1 seems to disperse very well in diesel fuel, just like conventional motor oils.

MikeyB
Old 07-14-2008, 09:32 AM

Oh well you will learn. After I tried to run some blended synth in my old ferd IDI & goo'd up three filters in less than 100 miles I decided that was enough non dino oil for me. BTW the synth willburn quite well when hit with a flame it just does not like to pass thru the filter on the truck, which is what will shut you down.

Last edited by shorthair; 07-14-2008 at 10:27 AM. Reason: addition
Old 07-14-2008, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by shorthair
Oh well you will learn.
Which oil where you running? I don't think Mobil 1 is a pure synthetic like Redline, Royal Purple and Amsoil.

MikeyB
Old 07-14-2008, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyB
I did a test between synthetic vs. conventional motor oil. I soaked paper towels in Castrol GTX and Mobil 1. They both burned about the same rate.

And Mobil 1 seems to disperse very well in diesel fuel, just like conventional motor oils.

MikeyB
was that clean oil ???
Old 07-14-2008, 04:22 PM

The GTX was clean. Mobil 1 dirty.

MikeyB

Quick Reply: How do you filter your WMO? What raito?