Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

How do you filter your WMO? What raito?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 06:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
DD,
You can load the pics here on the DTR site or using a hosting site like Photobucket. Not really hard to do, just follow the upload steps.

If you use the DTR the maximum picture file size is 500KB. So you probably have to resize.

My Dad has 3 barrels of WMO sitting at his shop waiting to be disposed of.

Trying to decide on the 1 or .5 micron bags for filtering.

MikeyB
Old 07-05-2008, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use a tuthill 115v 18QPM pump from yant equip & push through a 2 micron Baldwin bf1212 filter that also separates the water. Not the cheapest set up but works well.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
DD, if you would like, PM me and I'll talk you through the picture thing...
Old 07-07-2008, 08:13 AM

I made my first batch (2 gallons) yesterday. Lord it took forever to filter through the coffee filters.
So I ordered the 1 micron polypropylene bag filters off of ebay today. Will pickup some 5 gallon paint pails for the filtered oil at Home Depot.

MikeyB
Old 07-07-2008, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by madhat
DD, if you would like, PM me and I'll talk you through the picture thing...
I will, just been having computer issues around here for weeks now, caught some stinking virus on my desktop which rendered it insignificant for the rest of time!

so i'm on my ancient Dell laptop which is slower than a 1980's GM 6.2 liter diesel Blazer towing a heavy trailer up a hill. With a headwind.

My pictures and stuff are all on my other computer, and my sister is supposed to come over and help reformat it and try to save some of the pics too. Hopefully this will happen soon and then i'll post some pics of my truck and my WMO filtering setup and my dog and anything else anybody wants to see
Old 07-07-2008, 05:43 PM

i'm looking for a 6.2
Old 07-07-2008, 05:57 PM
I watch wind blow...

i thought i read in a couple different places that the used motor oil is not good for the common rail, but is just fine in the 12v and 24v... i could be wrong though it has happend before.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by COMP
i'm looking for a 6.2
dont get me wrong, they are cool motors, just awfully gutless compared to modern-day turbodiesels
Old 07-07-2008, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Desert Dually
dont get me wrong, they are cool motors, just awfully gutless compared to modern-day turbodiesels
i want one that will run on anything
Old 07-07-2008, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by 03RAMBUNCTIOUS
i thought i read in a couple different places that the used motor oil is not good for the common rail, but is just fine in the 12v and 24v... i could be wrong though it has happend before.
Don't think it's a problem if the WMO is filtered really good. Like with .5 or 1 micron filters. And to think that the Fleetguard fuel filter for our trucks is only a 7 micron.

And a low dosage of around 5-10%. About 2 gallons per tank.

MikeyB
Old 07-07-2008, 06:58 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 03RAMBUNCTIOUS
Rambunctious - I've been running (waste motor oil = WMO) in my own CR for a while now, about 2 gallons per full fuel tank. I filter it down to 1 micron and de-water it as well. I have 5 micron filtration on my truck. It honestly quieted down some of the "clacking" noise from under the hood. I can hear the difference standing in front of the truck with the hood open and the engine idling. Since motor oil has more BTU's in it than actual diesel fuel, the truck runs GREAT on it. In theory, the lubricity of the oil/fuel blend would have to be better than the current ULSD is for injection pumps. My only concern with higher concentrations of WMO/fuel in a CR would be coking of the injector's tips (which i've only heard about and have no real world knowledge of). I know for a fact that you can run very high concentrations of WMO in the old 12 valve trucks with absolutely no issues!

2 gallons of WMO added to your fuel tank will currently save you 10 dollars at each fill up. Not very much money when you consider the risk you are taking with your injection pump and system. Most people are unwilling to risk it.

IMHO, with the ever escalating price of diesel fuel, I am all for anything that helps me further along this battle. Let's face it, these trucks are NOT economical to drive. If you can stretch your fuel supplies by adding a few gallons of WMO to your full tank of #2, it will add up to a few hundred bucks by the end of the year. More than a few hundred if the prices keep going up. And depending on how much you drive of course.

If you (like me) get an average of 16 miles per gallon combined city/hwy, and you add 2 gallons of WMO per tank, you are getting 32 free miles of driving on each tank. If you tank up about every other week (26 X a year) thats 832 miles of "free driving" that you are getting out of WMO at the end of an "average" year. Depending upon how much or little you drive, you can maybe see where I am going with this.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:05 PM

Adding to DD's statement motor oil has about 20k BTU's per gallon more than ULSD.

MikeyB
Old 07-07-2008, 08:19 PM

I use a Harbor Freight 1" clearwater pump to push the WMO (and ATF, etc.) through a pair of filter heads with a 5 micron (first filter) and 2 micron (second filter) spin-on cartridges. Depending on temp and the viscosity of the oil being filtered, it can be a little slow. I dropped to 3 gallons/minute this last winter.
I've run 80% ATF/WMO mixed with 20% biodiesel. The truck didn't care, but it smells. And it smokes more on aggressive launches, too.
It's cheap, and it works. I likee.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyB
Don't think it's a problem if the WMO is filtered really good. Like with .5 or 1 micron filters. And to think that the Fleetguard fuel filter for our trucks is only a 7 micron.

And a low dosage of around 5-10%. About 2 gallons per tank.

MikeyB
a coffee filter is 7 micron ???
Old 07-07-2008, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by stinkindiesel
I use a Harbor Freight 1" clearwater pump to push the WMO (and ATF, etc.) through a pair of filter heads with a 5 micron (first filter) and 2 micron (second filter) spin-on cartridges. Depending on temp and the viscosity of the oil being filtered, it can be a little slow. I dropped to 3 gallons/minute this last winter.
I've run 80% ATF/WMO mixed with 20% biodiesel. The truck didn't care, but it smells. And it smokes more on aggressive launches, too.
It's cheap, and it works. I likee.
that sounds like an efficient set up you have there. I do hope that you are sending the oil on several passes thru the filtration before you pour it in the fuel tank. It's weird how filters will catch more junk out of the fuel in multiple passes. I filter mine at least 3 times, but i do it by hand. If you have an electric pump, you can just let it circulate thru the filtration system for an hour or so and let it really polish the oil into a purer form of fuel for your truck.

Quick Reply: How do you filter your WMO? What raito?