Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Fuel Economy

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My worst tank so far has been about 20mpg, my best was almost 24mpg (I drive about 50% city, 50% country roads). I've since advanced the timing, added a tonneau cover, lashed the valves, and put in a hotter thermostat so I'd like to think I can tweak that number up a little higher especially once I get a better air filter.

Now that you're thinking BS how can I get that mileage... well it is all about how hard you drive it. For instance I'm trying to get my waterless coolant thing all finished off, last thing I had to do is get the water that was in the block boiled out. Well I stuck a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator and drove to work today, since I never really accelerated very hard even though it was 90*F outside my motor never made it much over 200*F.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:13 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm up there with Boost.. I am averaging about 22mpg, mixed city/highway. I have no mods to the engine except for the BHAF/ Old Smokey Mount.
Pulling a 28ft gooseneck with 3 1200# Quarter horses, I get about 18-20.
I keep my foot outof it as much as possible, try to stay in the 1800-2000 rpm area if I can, and make long stops and long take-offs......I drive like a Grandma according to my daughters, but it pays off....
Old 09-13-2005, 11:29 AM

So many choices.
Just ordered the "Edge" comp. Got to try something. My last tow (actual calculations) netted 10.5 mpg on a 600mi round trip. Sucks pretty bad IMO.
Plan to change the fuel filter today. Ya'll still have not made any statement as to the scheduling of fuel filter replacement or if it will have any impact on economy.
May be that I am freeking out about nothing. The crappy milage that I am getting may just be from lack of break-in. I have heard that 40k is a good break-in period for this engine. Also heard that 15k is a normal break-in. Too many opinions not enough resource for facts.
In some cases you guys give me hope that mine will get better. My opinion remains that this is the toughest looking truck on the road and the CTD is one pullin' *****.
BTW... what the heck is waterless coolant and how does it work?
Old 09-13-2005, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by batexp
Is it that critical to change your filter that often. I am new to the world of diesel engines so it suprises me that you change yours that often.
i would hate to be stranded or have to replace an injector pump because of a 11$ filter
The filter is solid black when i remove it after 5k
Old 09-13-2005, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by drew03
i would hate to be stranded or have to replace an injector pump because of a 11$ filter
The filter is solid black when i remove it after 5k
Sounds like you have an algae problem, try some biocide.

Waterless coolant is just that, imagine if you weren't held back by having water in there. The boiling point of the system could be much higher. Well with this waterless coolant it'll boil at 375*F @ 0psig. No more cavitation, corrosion, electrolytes, silicates, pressure, or worries about boiling the system over.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by batexp
OK.. I've poked around here and figured to find this question asked to death, but can't find it. On my '05 what kind of fuel economy should I be getting and what is the best it will ever be. I've had it for 10 months. It now has 14k miles. I've changed the oil 3 times, replaced the air filter at 10k. The best it will get is 14 city and 17 hwy. I am tired of these jerks with fords and chevys braggin about their diesels getting 18 city and 22 hwy and laughing when I tell them what mine gets.

Stats: '05, 2500, 4wd, automatic,stock Cummins, stock tires, stock everything.

Quiestions:

1. Is this....

normal break-in.
just bad luck.
Cause it's a 4wd
cause Fords and Chevys are better than Dodge

2. Should I...

Blow my 100k warranty and start adding preformance stuff
Set it a-blaze and collect the insurance
Trade it in for a Dura-min or a Power-Anurisim
Just deal with it cause it's better than I was gettin with my old gas truck.

3. Do preformance chips really help fuel economy

Note: sorry I posted this in the wrong spot, thought I was still in the general area. How do I move this?
I would allow more breakin time. Mine didnt really begin to get the mileage it's getting now (17-21 mpg) until it hit near the 30K mark.

As for the DuraMaxies and all Just remember you WILL be running in 5 years they might not(especially the Duramaxes I make my living working on them)

Wayne
Old 09-17-2005, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by kg4muc
(especially the Duramaxes I make my living working on them)
No wonder you bought a Dodge.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by BoostdCTD
No wonder you bought a Dodge.

Exactly