Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Fuel dipping question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel dipping question

Hi all,

I have never been pulled over and had my fuel tank checked for offroad fuel, but before that happens I want to know what they look for. I run mostly filtered used motor oil, which obviously has none of the dye added that they look for. Will they just let me go since it has no dye, or will they hassle me, wanting to know what it is, etc?
Old 07-02-2006, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They are only looking for the red dye, nothing else. You will be fine
Old 07-02-2006, 02:37 PM

If they ask what is in your tank, tell them "jet fuel. This truck is turbo charge, has 6 big combustion chambers, and burns jet fuel." That should make them happy.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:03 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How much WMO are you running per tank? What filtering method are you using?

Just wondering.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If your fuel is any other color besides clear or brownish green they will send the sample in for analysis. The dye contains chemical markers that can determine the percentage of offroad fuel in the tank.
Give them a little credit- they are wise to people trying to mask the red dye with used motor oil that turns the fuel black.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:29 AM

If they dip in your area, dont risk running anything but regular diesel. They arent just dipping for red fuel, they dip for tax evasion.

Tax evasion = running a non taxed fuel on the road.

Waste motor oil is a non taxed fuel.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:41 AM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by Timmay2
If they dip in your area, dont risk running anything but regular diesel. They arent just dipping for red fuel, they dip for tax evasion.

Tax evasion = running a non taxed fuel on the road.

Waste motor oil is a non taxed fuel.
Waste motor oil is not a fuel, nor is peanut oil, soy or WVO.

So. they would be suggesting that I am not going to report the usage and pay the proper tax on my yearly income taxes?

I don't agree. The way you put it, everyone with a greasel or that runs WVO is committing fraud too??
Old 07-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
There is no law to my knowledge that forbids the use of Lubricity additives in diesel fuel.
So as long as you're not running a super high percentage of WMO per diesel fuel, I don't see where there would be a problem.

IANAL/YMMV
Old 07-09-2006, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
So. they would be suggesting that I am not going to report the usage and pay the proper tax on my yearly income taxes?
Wrong taxes, the fuel taxes are used to highway upkeep and so on, and constitute something like 28-40 cents per gallon depending on where you live. I've heard that running off road fuel will result in being charged taxes for every single mile on your vehicle, they assume you've always done it.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:41 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by IA_James
Wrong taxes, the fuel taxes are used to highway upkeep and so on, and constitute something like 28-40 cents per gallon depending on where you live. I've heard that running off road fuel will result in being charged taxes for every single mile on your vehicle, they assume you've always done it.
In that context explain how they were letting people run off-road shortly after Katrina? Kinda hard to keep track of that?..........
Also along that line of thinking, people who run WVO are expected to pay the equivelant state/federal fuel tax per gallon?
Old 07-09-2006, 06:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by P.J
In that context explain how they were letting people run off-road shortly after Katrina? Kinda hard to keep track of that?..........
You still had to pay road tax at the pump after Katrina only because there was a shortage of on-road.
It only made it easier to cheat for awhile, not more honest.

Also along that line of thinking, people who run WVO are expected to pay the equivalent state/federal fuel tax per gallon?
Not yet but they will if they see their tax income start dropping if more people start burning alternatives. The tax laws are complicated and vary by state and thus far mainly apply to biodiesel. In some states you can get a rebate for burning homemade biodiesel. Federally you are allowed 300 gallons per year road tax free homemade. The tax rate for 1%-99% bio blend is lower than for 100%. If you make your own BD and use it for business the feds will give you back 50¢/gal.
The state/federal tax breaks and rebates come out of the general tax funds in order to leave the highway improvement dollars intact.

In some states it is illegal to run any percentage of waste motor oil due to smog laws.

I sort of doubt a tax for WVO will ever be enacted since the amount of WVO produced in the US is miniscule compared to the amount of petro fuel consumed and is more of a hassle than most folks want to deal with.

More state laws here http://bulktransporter.com/news/biodiesel8132/
Old 07-17-2006, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by P.J
Waste motor oil is not a fuel, nor is peanut oil, soy or WVO.
Are you burning it in a motor vehicle engine? Yes? Ok, then its a fuel.

Originally Posted by P.J
The way you put it, everyone with a greasel or that runs WVO is committing fraud too??
Yes actually they are. Some are able to get permits to allow a certain percentage, or a certain ammount of miles, or a certain number of gallons produced a year, etc. Theres loops to jump through if you want to go that route.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:51 AM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by Timmay2
Are you burning it in a motor vehicle engine? Yes? Ok, then its a fuel.
Better keep your reciepts for Power Service then, you're going to owe Uncle Sam some tax at the end of the year
Old 08-06-2006, 09:29 PM

heck with em

the way i figure uncle sam and the state gets enough of my money. im going to switch to 100 percent bio in my 04 and run it in my peterbilt full time b/c im tired of spending 1500-2000 dollars a week in fuel ..

Just recently the county closed 75 percent of the county roads to thru truck traffic .. I pay 2500 a year in property taxes to licence my pete and dodge and now i cant
drive on most of the roads in the county and ya ya i know i dont have any kids goin to school but its outrageous..

Sorry for rantin but i aint been on here in a while and its frustrating that we are gettin hosed more and more and more and more taxes for less and less freedom.. So i am buyin a 500 gallon plant and im gonna homebrew my own from now on.. at 70 cpg i cant go wrong and put more money back in my poket where it belongs

But the way i see it the feds are gonna hafta prove i dont pay road taxes when i run bio full time.. And i do have a good lawyer ....
Old 08-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bobs rammin CTD
the way i figure uncle sam and the state gets enough of my money. im going to switch to 100 percent bio in my 04 and run it in my peterbilt full time b/c im tired of spending 1500-2000 dollars a week in fuel ..

Just recently the county closed 75 percent of the county roads to thru truck traffic .. I pay 2500 a year in property taxes to licence my pete and dodge and now i cant
drive on most of the roads in the county and ya ya i know i dont have any kids goin to school but its outrageous..

Sorry for rantin but i aint been on here in a while and its frustrating that we are gettin hosed more and more and more and more taxes for less and less freedom.. So i am buyin a 500 gallon plant and im gonna homebrew my own from now on.. at 70 cpg i cant go wrong and put more money back in my poket where it belongs

But the way i see it the feds are gonna hafta prove i dont pay road taxes when i run bio full time.. And i do have a good lawyer ....
Hopefully folks won't label me a disgruntal redneck after this post, but I give you a big AMEN! $3.19 for road fuel locally now and I have had enough. Everytime a mosquite farts in Texas or some jerks sets a refinery on fire, fuel goes up. It's enough. There is a typhoon in Cuba...we better raise fuel $.50 per gallon.....BULL CORN!!!!

Quick Reply: Fuel dipping question