Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

E85 Flexfuel?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 11:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bad news for ethanol production.
http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...bc7af1f899.htm

MikeyB
Old 06-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ouch. That is going to hurt the E85 market.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyB
Bad news for ethanol production.
http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...bc7af1f899.htm

MikeyB
Interesting because the Farm Report this morning said flooding would only reduce the corn crop by 3%.
Didn't seem like very much to me but maybe it is.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by capt.Ron
It's not your research that makes me laugh....it's you statements CLAIMING that somehow the car makers would go through all of the R&D to build a flex fuel vehicle yet build it to it's least economical state with the intent to make it fail becuase they are part of a massive conspiracy with the oil companies.
Do you have ANY factual documentation to back up that claim?
The car is not designed to fail. Only to get worse power and mileage on e-85 driving consumers back to gas. It's nothing but programming in the ecm. Carmakers only care about ffv sales becaues of fleet purchases by the gov. They were/are willing to do anything to keep those sales. If the gov spec is x they are not going to give them y. I have been tuning gas engines in racecars for years and fuel is always the largest part of the equation. You build and tune the engine for the fuel used. E-85 is 105 octane. If you can't make that number work for you something is wrong. I really can't get into btu's, flame propagation,speed,etc. here, but i can tell you what i have found. Maybe you should try some e-85 in your 4 stroke bike.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by chipmonk
this contains some very strong allegations, regarding the oil companies trying to keep ethanol from the driving public, but even they say that the automakers are fighting for ethanol's availability and success. the last thing that the U.S. automakers need now, is the failure of flex fuel vehicles- that would give the buying public another reason to opt for a japanese econo-box or hybrid, the next time they're in the market for a new car.
http://royaldutchshellplc.com/2007/0...le-is-big-oil/
That is a great article. It did detail some of big oil's dirty tricks. They will stop at nothing,and they have the money to do it. E-85 is a large part of it. For years it has been a double standard-alt. fuels get lip service and nothing else. They are still talking about hydrogen fuel cells...please. E85 is here NOW. It can work,It is proven,(Its far from new,Ga has a rich tradition of running it durning prohibition to outrun the revenuers.) The Diablosport tuner for e-85 is a start,with better timing and fueling maps.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:35 AM
I think I can... I think...

Originally Posted by jforce
The car is not designed to fail. Only to get worse power and mileage on e-85 driving consumers back to gas.
I was not referring to the CAR failing but rather the flex fuel idea. Again I find it laughable to think that the car makers would do this R&D yet purposely build them so they are unattractive to the consumer.
Maybe you should try some e-85 in your 4 stroke bike.
So far I have yet to find E-85 sold anywhere in this area.
Not an issue for me but I would definitely have to make some carb adjustments for my bike. This is something I have to do anyway if I compete in an event that has a major altitude change from here.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:41 PM

WE THE PEOPLE,,, are the victims of the insane. quote,john Lennon
Old 06-15-2008, 02:06 PM

That is a great article. It did detail some of big oil's dirty tricks. They will stop at nothing,and they have the money to do it.
but you didn't address the point that, even in that article, they disagree with your assertion that the U.S. automakers are 'in bed' with the oil companies, and don't want their ethanol powered or flex fuel vehicles to succeed. it states the exact opposite, that the automakers have quite a bit invested in ethanol's success, and would like to see the widespread availability of ethanol.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by chipmonk
but you didn't address the point that, even in that article, they disagree with your assertion that the U.S. automakers are 'in bed' with the oil companies, and don't want their ethanol powered or flex fuel vehicles to succeed. it states the exact opposite, that the automakers have quite a bit invested in ethanol's success, and would like to see the widespread availability of ethanol.
What investment? bad programming of the ecm,another sensor and some stickers? The automakers just want to jump on the "green'' bandwagon.They can than use that for marketing and image. The article does touch on that,and mentions the mileage credits,allowing them to build gas guzzlers w/o penalty if they build a certain number of "ffv'' vehicles to gov specs.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:01 PM
I think I can... I think...

The article does touch on that,and mentions the mileage credits,allowing them to build gas guzzlers w/o penalty if they build a certain number of "ffv'' vehicles to gov specs.
That is something that has been in existence for years and years.
Not just cars but motorcycles as well.
Take my Yamaha WR 400. It's the exact same engine as the YZ. The only difference is gearing, timing, and a throttle stop. I prefer the gearing of the WR but the timing and throttle stop was changed within minutes of purchase. Unplug one wire that retards the timing and remove the throttle stop and it's a screaming beast!!
The reason for these 2 factory settings is to improve fuel mileage. Doing this allows them to build other less mileage machines and still stay within the CAFE standards imposed on them.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by bhaugen
I think Ethanol is a good thing, but keep in mind corn ethanol is not going to be the answer to our problems. Sugar ethanol might be the answer. Brazil runs all ethanol in thier economy, little or now gasoline. Its all done with sugar cane. The switch grass and cellostic ethanol alternative is going to start to ramp up now. This will push the ethanol production farther west into the more arid region, but will compete with wheat production more.

Yes ethanol does get less mpg's at 85%, but some people around here have been running 50% blends and seeing little or no mpg drop. They are getting this from some of the new Blender pumps where you can set the % ethanol you want. There are people running as much as 30% in non flex fuel vehicles, but I will wait and see long term effects on that.

Its my understanding that the option for flex fuel vehicles at the factory is only $200-$300. All it is is a fuel sensor.

http://www.fuel-testers.com/about_ethanol_fuel.html
Old 10-28-2008, 10:33 AM

Wow, thats an anti ethanol site. I keep seeing buy our test kits cause you might have engine damaging ethanol in your tank...

Before I bought a diesel I ran gassers. I started out with an 87 s-10 in 1990 and ran 10% enthanol blend in it when ever I could (which was very often cause its been available that long around here), no filter plugging, no fuel line deterioration, and no engine stalling. That was a crappy 2.8 v-6. I had a 170k on it when I finished college and sold it. The only issue I had was an oil leak. They guy who bought it after me ran it well past 200k. Also, I did some comparisons when I first started running e-10 with it and did not notice a fuel economy drop. Now E-85 will give you a drop in fuel economy, that has been proven.

Some of that info is pertenant to older carberated cars, that did not have the proper fuel lines. But hey what do I know, I have only put a few hundred thousand miles on burning 10% entanol.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:46 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I noticed over the weekend while I was in Durant that there were a few stations with signs out front highlighting the fact that their gasoline had no ethanol blended in. Didn't realize there was such a backlash running against the blended gas. Pretty much every pump in Dallas is doing at least 10% ethanol.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
The sad thing is, there are way too many people who believe the anti-ethanol crap.

We have had it for decades here, and I have run everything from 2 stroke chainsaws to my 1961 Deere 3010 to late model cars, no effect, none, nada, zilch.

We are just now beginning to see E85, and guess what, as soon as I have a reliable supply, I am switching my Nova over, think about it, race fuel for cheap...........

And to those who think E10 changes their fuel mileage, I say prove it. I can show you differing mileage with different brands of straight gas.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Begle1
Ahh, never realized that corn could be double dipped. Thanks for that.

So I take it that corn as a feed stock is still more profitable than canola or the like for bioDiesel? I'd assume that if it was more profitable, then it'd be grown.
Heres a Quote from David Blumes Book "Alcohol Can Be A Gas"

"Myth #4: It’s Food Versus Fuel—We Should Be Growing Crops for Starving Masses, Not Cars!

Humankind has barely begun to work on designing farming as a method of harvesting solar energy for multiple uses. Given the massive potential for polyculture yields, monoculture-study dismissals of ethanol production seem silly when viewed from economic, energetic, or ecological perspectives.

Because the U.S. grows a lot of it, corn has become the primary crop used in making *ethanol here. This is supposedly *controversial, since corn is identified as a staple food in poverty-stricken parts of the world. But 87% of the U.S. corn crop is fed to animals. In most years, the U.S. sends close to 20% of its corn to other countries. While it is assumed that these exports could feed most of the hungry in the world, the corn is actually sold to wealthy nations to fatten their livestock. Plus, virtually no impoverished nation will accept our corn, even when it is offered as charity, due to its being genetically modified and therefore unfit for human consumption.

Also, fermenting the corn to alcohol results in more meat than if you fed the corn directly to the cattle. We can actually increase the meat supply by first processing corn into alcohol, which only takes 28% of the starch, leaving all the protein and fat, creating a higher-quality animal feed than the original corn. "

http://www.alcoholcanbeagas.com/

Quick Reply: E85 Flexfuel?????