Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Burning Used Oil vs. Fuel Filter Life

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well said Bill.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You just want to argue about it. I am not the one doing it. I am not terribly worried about it though, there are many worse waste conditions. Try checking out what Mt. St. Helens has done to the atmosphere in the last few years.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:16 AM

You've got me I'm just a rotten good for nothing! Those guys driving down the road in the county trucks are bad people to they are spraying diesel fuel to kill the weeds.....ooooooohhhhhhh. Give me a break if you die because I poured my used oil on the road to keep dust down and kill weeds instead of preservitives in food or second hand smoke or smog or cholesterol or............ I pour 10 gal. a year on a gravel road? There is more oil leaked a year in one parking lot than that!
Old 12-17-2004, 11:05 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Mt. St. Helens has done to the atmosphere in the last few years.
That argument is so worn out it's pathetic.
Most of what St. Helens has put out is ash, just silicone. Mount St. Helens, at its peak activity, emitted about 2,000 tons of sulfur dioxide per day, compared with 121,000 tons per day by motor vehicles.
Humanity is responsible for emitting 110 billion tons of carbon dioxide each year, while all the earth's volcanoes only contribute 10 billion tons.
Even if volcanoes were putting out more than humans there's nothing we can do about volcanoes. Sort of like saying why apply the brakes in a car speeding towards a cliff if you're going to go off anyway.
Argue it all you want, there is no sane person who would prefer a clean environment over a polluted one.

VOLCANO VS MAN - Myth vs Reality> http://www.gaspig.com/volcano.htm

I'm not picking on you Barry, I used to do the same thing. It's just when lots of people start doing it it becomes a problem and was made illegal.
But just because someone else is doing something doesn't make it right. Like saying Scott Peterson's method of divorce worked for him so it must be cool.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by Barry Smith
..........I pour 10 gal. a year on a gravel road? There is more oil leaked a year in one parking lot than that!

So with that mentality, if every in the U.S did the something that would mean there would be 2,949,939,460 gallons of oil dumped every year in to the ground.

http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html

U.S population = 294,993,946 x 10 = 2,949,939,460
Old 12-17-2004, 12:18 PM

Hey, put that all in the fuel tanks and there would be a bunch of free miles driven. Of course that is illegal.

Talking to a tree hugger is like holding a friendly conversation with the IRS. They are always right, you are always wrong and it will cost you a bunch of money.

People like me would be a lot more receptive if the tree huggers came down to earth and considered the real facts and used some reality. You can get a web site to say anything you want they are out there.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by winkle
So with that mentality, if every in the U.S did the something that would mean there would be 2,949,939,460 gallons of oil dumped every year in to the ground.

http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html

U.S population = 294,993,946 x 10 = 2,949,939,460
You need to rethink your stats alittle.

1. Not everyone drives.
2. Not everyone lives on gravel roads.
3. Not everyone changes their own oil.

I hate statistics.

I recycle mine to a local service station. They are very happy to get the oil.

Do you guys know motor oil has dioxin in it? Buring it spreads it in the air? Getting it on your skin (prolonged gearhead exposure) can give you cancer?
Old 12-17-2004, 06:49 PM

I recycle mine Right now that is almost six bucks in my pocket not counting the better mileage I get while it is in the tank.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:18 PM

Talking to a tree hugger is like holding a friendly conversation with the IRS. They are always right, you are always wrong and it will cost you a bunch of money.
Maybe people who like a clean environment would respect you more if you didn't stereotype them as tree-huggers. I personally hate trees, they just block the view. Doesn't mean I want to cut them all down though, I live in the desert instead. Of course there is a balance between economics and a clean environment, I don't think you'll find anyone preaching to ban all cars and industry. But we can all do better with very little sweat off our backs.

Check this out if you don't believe that waste oil on the ground is causes problems.
This from an Environmental Protection Agency Damage Report not some tree-hugger website
http://pwp.lincs.net/sanjour/Damage2.htm

Dioxin Poisoning Caused by Improper Waste Disposal in Missouri

Personal Damage - Toxic illness of varying degrees affecting ten persons. The worst illness occurred in a six-year-old girl who suffered an inflammatory reaction of the kidney and bladder bleeding, requiring hospitalization and surgery. Less severely affected persons developed diarrhea, headaches, nausea, polyarthralgias, and persistent skin lesions.

Environmental Damage - Contamination of the soil with an extremely toxic substance in three horse arenas and a farm road. The death of six dogs and twelve cats.

Economic Damage - The death of 63 Appaloosa and quarter horses, which resulted in loss of business and subsequent sale of one of the horse arenas. Also, medical expenses and cleanup costs. The estimated total financial loss, based on filed lawsuits (excluding punitive damages), is close to $500,000.

Cause of Problem - Contact with soil containing 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzodioxin (TCDD, commonly referred to as dioxin), a contaminant in waste oil which was sprayed in three horse arenas and a farm road as a dust control measure.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:39 PM

Maybe you need to read that article better, that is not just drain oil, it was contaminated.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:51 AM

Originally posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
Maybe you need to read that article better, that is not just drain oil, it was contaminated.
Just like any waste oil is.
I'm done with you. If you feel an animal who craps in it's own nest is doing right thing more power to you. All you're doing is trying to justify something you know in your heart is wrong.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:05 AM

Burning used engine oil

I have the same questions for my truck, as I figured the oil is already paid for and a reasonable person would think to filter the stuff before using it. The fuel filter is supposed to clean out the crud down to whatever particle size the injector pump is able to handle and I would think that espessially with winterized fuel ( less oil ?) the increased lubrication and burnability would help with fuel mileage. To each thier own and in my case, it's going into the fuel tank.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by infidel
Just like any waste oil is.
I'm done with you. If you feel an animal who craps in it's own nest is doing right thing more power to you. All you're doing is trying to justify something you know in your heart is wrong.
Hey, not a big deal, my mother left when I was 18 months and I was a bad kid so my father "disowned" me. I can live with it. Such is life, enjoy it, I am.

I learned to read quite a bit and have a fairly good comprehension. The article was about oil that was stored in tanks that had another chemical in them and caused instant pollution that killed animals and the soil had to be removed. I will repeat the earlier post.

" Talking to a tree hugger is like holding a friendly conversation with the IRS. They are always right, you are always wrong and it will cost you a bunch of money.

People like me would be a lot more receptive if the tree huggers came down to earth and considered the real facts and used some reality. You can get a web site to say anything you want they are out there."

If you used true facts and figures and not trumped up BS figures and articles that have nothing to do with the issue, the masses of intelligent people would be much more receptive.

Our water system is fed by a series of wells and happens to be about the cleanest quality of water in the state. If you would like I can supply the annual testing stats. Did you even consider the pollution that was created when a continent was destroyed, thousands of ships sunk, whole cities burned. You might consider that the government studies have determined that cows exhaust system is the largest polluter and by far the largest methane emissions that are very harmful to the ecology.

Volcanoes put thousands of times the particulate matter into the atmosphere than any other source. If you used these true facts and real facts about pollution instead of the lies and exaggerations you use to prove your point, there would be more involvement by the masses. Instead we have to put up with twice the fuel burned to conserve, and particulate filters on diesels.

I never once said that it was good to dump oil. It is not, but there are other issues as important.

Now the point of the thread, no, burning used oil has no real effect on the filter life. Which in itself shows that there is not much problem with burning used oil in a reasonable quantity.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Burning used engine oil

Originally posted by Lurch519
I have the same questions for my truck, as I figured the oil is already paid for and a reasonable person would think to filter the stuff before using it. The fuel filter is supposed to clean out the crud down to whatever particle size the injector pump is able to handle and I would think that espessially with winterized fuel ( less oil ?) the increased lubrication and burnability would help with fuel mileage. To each thier own and in my case, it's going into the fuel tank.
Have you ever seen a magnet in used oil? Like in the bottom of the oil pan of an engine or transmission? That fuzz that sticks to the magnet is metal shavings. The same metal shavings the will attach to your lift pump magnets, and get into the motor shaft bearings and grind them up. Our stock lift pumps are cooled by the fuel they are pumping. The contaminated fuel flows through the ENTIRE pump (motor and all) PRE FILTER!!

If you want to run waste oil in your truck knock yourself out, but if you take a LP apart after you run 20 gals of waste oil in it and you will never do it again. If your LP lasts that long.

Infidel and Dixey, I want you to go to seperate corners and sit for an hour, then come back and kiss and make up! ITS CHRISTMAS TIME MAN!
Old 04-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Ace
Banned

This is an old thread, but it popped up as I was researching a recent project. I believe Haulin' is mostly right, and anyone who uses "seems to me" frequently throughout their posts isn't speaking from experience OR actual knowledge. Anyway, couple of things:

1) The oil filter on your engine is rated around 17-20um (microns). Diesel soot (the stuff that makes the oil black, for the most part) runs arouns 1um. So the oil you drain from the pan does not have anything big enough in it to cause much harm to a fuel filter, to start with.

2) Any metal found in "normal" used oil is not filings, shavings, or even anything that can be seen with a microsocope. As was said, you have other bigger issues, that being the case. The wear metals from bearnigs, rings etc, are literally dissolved into solution in the oil and can only be seen through oil analysis. They're basically liquified.

But, if your're a paranoid, **** perfectionist you can very cost effectively and finely filter it before dumping it in the fuel tank. Follow this thread for details and future updates:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=33249

Quick Reply: Burning Used Oil vs. Fuel Filter Life