Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Brown Gas, what is it and just heard it can be use in a diesel

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brown Gas, what is it and just heard it can be use in a diesel

Title says it all.

Anyone have any info on Brown gas for a diesel? A quick google says it's mainly used for welding, supposedly there is a kit you can buy for $750 to make it work in our trucks.

Anyone have any more info.

Thanks
Old 04-26-2006, 10:01 PM

I believe that's what a hydrogen booster produces. "Brown's gas"(?). Check out the link I left in my recent Hydro booster plans post. You can build a unit for about $40. This one's a little nicer than PVC and looks easy to build.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:51 PM

I’ve been looking into Brown’s Gas for a while now. It is made by pulsing low voltage D.C. (1.6 to 2 volts) and high amperage (10 to 30 amperes) into a electrolyzer. Here is a link to the books that I’ve been reading.
http://www.eagle-research.com
They sell a kit that makes Browns gas for a car/truck. I don’t know if it works or not. I would experiment first before I laid down any cash. http://www.eagle-research.com/fuelsav/hyztechld.html
I don’t know if they have changed their method of shipping, but when I ordered their books earlier this year they were a little slow getting the books out. The books aren’t fancy but they seem to have a lot of good information in them. I haven’t had much time because of work, to mess with this yet but I will soon I hope. If you are going to experiment with this be sure to follow the safety precautions, this stuff is very explosive. Static electricity will set it off.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:14 AM

...or you could just look at the links I pointed you toward, and spend next to nothing for the SAME THING...

ps - you are NOT building a bomb - don't let people make you too nervous - if this process was THAT dangerous your battery would be encased in steel (it's the same thing). Just use common sense.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by ouchman
...or you could just look at the links I pointed you toward, and spend next to nothing for the SAME THING...

ps - you are NOT building a bomb - don't let people make you too nervous - if this process was THAT dangerous your battery would be encased in steel (it's the same thing). Just use common sense.
Actually you need to be VERY aware of the dangers of Hydrogen. I have witnessed more than 1 battery explosion and it isn't something you want to have happen when you are leaning over one of these devices working on it.

If you encased a battery in steel it would become an even more dangerous scenario when one explodes as the steel could become deadly shrapnel.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:35 PM
Chapter President

Information and Uncommon sence these days!

Yes a battery is doing exactly what a hydrogen unit does. That's what I call my electrolizer/hydrogen unit. My wife said the B word a lot and I suggested she drop it unless she wanted to bail me out of jail. Wrong place and someone would freakout with the B word.
If any of you have actuall done any electrolizing you would notice that even after you disconect from the unit it still has a electical charge for a little while.
As far as blowing up. If you contain 16oz of hydrogen in a plastic bottle upside down with the lid off and light it. It goes off like a half stick of dynomite. No visible flame just boom and the bottle will leave like a rocket.

I've blown lids off my 2.5gal. bucket that I was useing, never in my face of course.
Gasoline is very explosive also, and how many people smoke while fueling? It only take 1% gas in air to blow and 4% hydrogen.
Even at my highest production of Hydrogen, it would not blow my unit apart, just the lid off. Another reason that I don't use pvc or other caped units that can't come appart easily if it did blow. I posted some pictures in my gallery. If your worried about exploding then put a intake vent as well as a outlet so the air inside doesn't ever get to the level of concentration to explode. Of course the inlet would have to be lower since H rises.