Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

BioDiesel folks in NC, beware...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why don't they just install fuel sensors that disable our vehicles when we aren't running fuel that has road tax paid on it. Better yet, they should send police to everyone's house to make sure they aren't producing environmentally friendly fuels. Let's get serious. If the government would stop handing money out to every little country that held their dirty nasty hand out we wouldn't have to pay road tax. Next they'll want to tax us for the oxygen we breathe every day. Rant over. Sorry.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by woodrat
sure they are, aren't the batteries are charged directly by the gasoline engine and/or by the momentum that it creates?

you are correct. also, not all hybrids can run on electric alone--the honda insight runs on gas all the time.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by biododge1
you are correct. also, not all hybrids can run on electric alone--the honda insight runs on gas all the time.
They may run on some gas, but not as much as any other car. So they are paying less road tax per mile than a normal consumer. So they're not doing their part to maintain the roads.

stirringthepotJM
Old 01-19-2008, 11:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A hybrid prius or insight isn't doing nearly as much wear on the road system than my Dodge does, either. So why should they pay as much road tax as I do?

As much as I hate paying any kind of taxes, taxing fuel for road maintenance is probably a pretty good system for proportional taxation. Use less fuel, pay less for roads.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heh, you got that right.
Up here we pay taxes out the wazoo for the roads and they sure as heck dont go into the roads. Theyre also raising tolls on roads where the money goes to fund other projects. A prime example of a tax and spend mess. Thus the plug in my signature

Originally Posted by TravisDj
Why don't they just install fuel sensors that disable our vehicles when we aren't running fuel that has road tax paid on it. Better yet, they should send police to everyone's house to make sure they aren't producing environmentally friendly fuels. Let's get serious. If the government would stop handing money out to every little country that held their dirty nasty hand out we wouldn't have to pay road tax. Next they'll want to tax us for the oxygen we breathe every day. Rant over. Sorry.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by woodrat
A hybrid prius or insight isn't doing nearly as much wear on the road system than my Dodge does, either. So why should they pay as much road tax as I do?
You are comparing apples to oranges. Lets compare a hybrid prius to a non hybrid prius. The hybrid gets ~50mpg, the non hybrid gets ~30mpg. So the hybrid owner pays less road tax, yet both of them put the same amount of wear on the road system.

Now tell me how thats fair?
Old 01-21-2008, 06:50 PM

It's a global market. Gotta bring the supply up everywhere even japan.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:02 PM

we all have to keep in mind that the tax on gas is a sales tax, ie. a consumption tax. not a road tax( if it is a road tax then why do i pay for use in a mower,weed wacker). yes, some $$ may fund roads. but it also funds schools, state Medicaid, pensions etc. the govmt also takes into account the added cost/environmental impact of a hybrid vs standard car.
don't get me wrong, i am in the middle on this as i own both a hybrid and "gas guzzlers". one of my cars has a gas guzzling tax of over a 1000$. just because it's a v 12. but a Chevy blazer gets worse mpg--no tax.
it just boils down to if you don't want to be taxed as much, use less fuel or drive less( and a little honesty from politicians never hurt).
Old 01-22-2008, 10:13 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
if it is a road tax then why do i pay for use in a mower, weed wacker
Because you haven't filed to get the tax back on your income taxes.
I get back 42¢/gal on gasoline used on the farm every year. Can do the same with diesel if I buy the taxed stuff but it's easier just to buy offroad.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
Because you haven't filed to get the tax back on your income taxes.
I get back 42¢/gal on gasoline used on the farm every year. Can do the same with diesel if I buy the taxed stuff but it's easier just to buy offroad.
i never knew that, thanks for the tip.does that apply across the board or only in agriculture use? too late for the '07 taxes, but will save receipts from now on. how do you 'prove' what was used off road? or is it a set # of gals?

now that i think of it.... wanna do my taxes
Old 01-23-2008, 10:08 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm no tax expert but think the tax refund applies to other off road businesses besides agriculture.
For me to get the road tax back I'm required to have a meter on the farm gasoline tank with a log book recording were every gallon went. Log book is legally open to inspection at any time though I've never had anyone come and check.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:42 PM

There isn't a set amount you can burn with out paying taxes on fuel. This is a internet story that gets passed around.

""There are some folks that say you can produce and use up to 400gal a year of your own fuel before its taxable, but until I see that in writing I wont count on it."""

So your right, when we talked to the IRS, you have to pay 24.4 cents for EVERY GALLON you use. So if you find a way to power your truck off water, it's 24.4 cents a gallon no mater what.

That money goes to roads and bridges in the USA, so that's fine with me. As long as you pay your taxes the government will leave you alone.

Think about it, you make your own fuel, or grease your truck and you pay $24.40 for a 100 gallons of fuel. Not a bad deal and it keeps the IRS off your back.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:15 AM

the **** poor state of affairs,it is ridiculous for the state to inflict punishment for this, it is almost state authorized terrorism. i wish they would outlaw imported oil. i dont care if it went to 10$ a gallon. i would like to see those arabs eat that $100 a barrel oil. and while i'm on the soap box,we should be pumping iraq dry ,since we are spending our tax money to rebuild that sand pit.