Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Anyone get their Dodge dipped?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by infidel
The laws is any vehicle that is registered to operate on road can't use red fuel even if it never goes on road.
Okay, Thank you for clearing that up.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
The laws is any vehicle that is registered to operate on road can't use red fuel even if it never goes on road.
Not entirely true; Any tax based entity, like city-county-state road departments do not pay taxes on any kind of fuel and can run dyed fuel but still have to be registered to operate on the road.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:51 PM

I got dipped in my 2500 running empty, I live in northern MN in the country, it was just on the side of the highway at an intersection that makes a bottle neck north of Brainerd Mn
Old 06-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by arcojet
Not entirely true; Any tax based entity, like city-county-state road departments do not pay taxes on any kind of fuel and can run dyed fuel but still have to be registered to operate on the road.
It WOULD be kinda silly to have a state have to pay state taxes to run their own fleet.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:09 PM

For those questioning the legality, Here is the Virginia law:

Originally Posted by ian515
everytime these threads start, I have to always ask the same question, and will ask it again, what is the legality behind pullin you over and dipping your tank without a warrant??

back to the topic, never been dipped with mine. I know there was someone who posted a while ago about being dipped in minnesota, same thing most are reporting, one cop would act as spotter, and radio ahead when he saw a diesel, next cop would wave you over and dip the tank.

Virginia Fuels Tax Act
Fuel Inspection Notice

The Code of Virginia, Chapter 22, S 58.1, Virginia Fuels Tax Act, allows authorized Va DMV officials to physically inspect, examine, or search any of the following:

Any tank, reservoir, or containers that can be or may be used for the production, storage, transportation or use of fuel, fuel dyes or markers;

Equipment used for dyeing or marking of fuel;

Books and records kept to determine fuel tax liability under Chapter 22, S 58.1-2276.

Authorized Virginia DMV officials may detain any vehicle or any other mode of fuel transportation to inspect its fuel or storage tanks, and may extract and keep reasonably sized samples of fuel to clarify the fuel composition.

Penalties

Any person refusing to allow an inspection shall be subject to a civil penalty of $5000 for each refusal. This penalty is in addition to any other penalty or tax imposed.

Civil Penalty

The greater of $1000 or $10 per gallon of the maximum fuel tank capacity.

Criminal Penalty

Over 20 gallons: Class 6 Felony
20 gallons or less: Class 1 Misdemeanor

Stop Fuels Tax Evasion

Hot Line: 1-800-823-8357
Old 06-09-2008, 02:35 PM

the whole thing is crap. people make biodiesel in the garage at home and don't pay taxes on that, i suppose they probably could get you there too. i pay taxes on the federal, state, and county level and every time the pump hits my **** tank, i think in 1776 something was done about this sorta bunch of EDIT. they say taxation without representation, where is my representation nobody i voted for ever one except bush and it was him or kerry, EDIT i just picked the one i thought smelled less.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by 513yj
the whole thing is crap. people make biodiesel in the garage at home and don't pay taxes on that, i suppose they probably could get you there too.
I believe you are right, you have to tax the biodiesel you make. most people dont I believe, but you can get in trouble if you dont.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by RC51
Virginia Fuels Tax Act
Fuel Inspection Notice

The Code of Virginia, Chapter 22, S 58.1, Virginia Fuels Tax Act, allows authorized Va DMV officials to physically inspect, examine, or search any of the following:

Any tank, reservoir, or containers that can be or may be used for the production, storage, transportation or use of fuel, fuel dyes or markers;

Equipment used for dyeing or marking of fuel;

Books and records kept to determine fuel tax liability under Chapter 22, S 58.1-2276.

Authorized Virginia DMV officials may detain any vehicle or any other mode of fuel transportation to inspect its fuel or storage tanks, and may extract and keep reasonably sized samples of fuel to clarify the fuel composition.

Penalties

Any person refusing to allow an inspection shall be subject to a civil penalty of $5000 for each refusal. This penalty is in addition to any other penalty or tax imposed.

Civil Penalty

The greater of $1000 or $10 per gallon of the maximum fuel tank capacity.

Criminal Penalty

Over 20 gallons: Class 6 Felony
20 gallons or less: Class 1 Misdemeanor

Stop Fuels Tax Evasion

Hot Line: 1-800-823-8357

ummmm.....thanks for clearing that up?? that doesnt make any sense to me. they keep talking about being able to search anything made to transport fuel...does that mean, any fuel tank that has a vehicle attached to it?
Old 06-10-2008, 09:28 AM

A driver license is a priveledge and not a right, keep that in mind. As far as search and seizure goes it has already been decided by the USSC that probable cause is enough to search your vehicle. Rememeber that you are using your vehicle to travel on public roads so you are not afforded the same rights as your home.

I suppose you could refuse to allow them to dip your tank if they ask, and I am sure they will tow your vehicle for you and hold it, at your expense of course or just sit and wait you out.

To kinda give you an example... Years ago Oklahoma tags were tax deductible because you paid a smaller amount of excise tax and paid a tax for your tag every year. They changed the system to lower your yearly tag cost (to $90 instead of a percentage of the vehicle worth) and they made it up on excise tax. This chaged the playing field for the police as well. When you were caught driving a car witout a current tag they were able to impound your vehicle on the grounds of Tax Evasion, now they can only ticket you for expired tag because you pay all the taxes when you get your tag through excise tax.

Hub
Old 06-10-2008, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots of good information on this thread. I was curious if anyone in AZ has been dipped because I have never been pulled over for a dip check or seen people getting dipped.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by hubmonkey
A driver license is a priveledge and not a right, keep that in mind. As far as search and seizure goes it has already been decided by the USSC that probable cause is enough to search your vehicle. Rememeber that you are using your vehicle to travel on public roads so you are not afforded the same rights as your home.

I suppose you could refuse to allow them to dip your tank if they ask, and I am sure they will tow your vehicle for you and hold it, at your expense of course or just sit and wait you out.

To kinda give you an example... Years ago Oklahoma tags were tax deductible because you paid a smaller amount of excise tax and paid a tax for your tag every year. They changed the system to lower your yearly tag cost (to $90 instead of a percentage of the vehicle worth) and they made it up on excise tax. This chaged the playing field for the police as well. When you were caught driving a car witout a current tag they were able to impound your vehicle on the grounds of Tax Evasion, now they can only ticket you for expired tag because you pay all the taxes when you get your tag through excise tax.

Hub
But lets not forget that a farming auction is most likely private property and them coming onto the property and dipping without prior consent has GOT to be some sort of violation. That's like me waking up one more to my truck dismantled in my driveway because the DEA was searching for drugs, even though they didn't have a warrant and them trying to tell me it was legal.

I totally agree about their rights when you're on the road though.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They normally don't pull you over to just dip your tank most of the time they are stopping you for some other reason and then want to dip your tank.

Also I've been told by and ex cop that if a police officer ask you to search your can you can say no. But to cover your self and stop him for doing so you need to say he/she/they have no probable cause to search your car/truck. By saying they have no probable cause you then force the officer to give a valid reason to a Judge to get a warrant as to why they feel the need to search. They can't just tell a judge well I think or feel I need to do a search.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:53 AM

Uh guys,me being a city boy,what is the difference in cost between "red"fuel and regular pump fuel?
Old 06-10-2008, 11:09 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by irocpractice
Uh guys,me being a city boy,what is the difference in cost between "red"fuel and regular pump fuel?
At one point, I think it was about $0.40-$0.45. Haven't looked lately.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Here in Washington State we pay 57 cents per gallon in tax, so that's the difference right there.

Quick Reply: Anyone get their Dodge dipped?