Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

.63 cents a gallon in Utah

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.63 cents a gallon in Utah

Just bought me a 2001 f150 single cab 2 wheel drive cng pickup with 50 k on the clock. CNG is .63 a gallon now with a cap of .73 for the next few years. I'm hoping this gets around 15 in town.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:58 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Natural gas? I'm not following...
Old 11-16-2007, 06:58 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CNG? I don't follow?
Old 11-16-2007, 07:06 AM
Banned

compressed natural gas...he bought a new truck thats runs on it and hes only having to pay $.63 a gallon and is hoping for 15 mpg. i was actually looking at doing something like that on a jeep...offroad/grocery getter

brett
Old 11-16-2007, 08:28 AM
P.J
Banned

Ah.

I thought natural gas was sold by the cubic foot, propane sold by the gallon?
Old 11-16-2007, 08:33 AM

Around here, CNG is sold by the "gallon equivalent" at an island or curbside pump just like gas or diesel. Difference is the pressure and type of connections.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:42 AM
P.J
Banned

Huh. Well. I guess just like everything else in time it too will magically be worth 4 times what it is now......
Old 11-16-2007, 11:25 AM

The national average is around 1.69. Utah has a contract with Questar for .73 a gallon for 4 years and there is 2 years 8 months left. This info. is via a used car salesman, so take it for what it's worth. What I know for sure is I filled up last night for a little over six dollars @ .63 a gallon. It only went to about 5/8 tank a tank so I don't know what is with that yet. I have heard that air temp. and the station pressures will affect fuel levels when refueling. I will post how many miles I get for my six dollars in a few days. It was at about 1/16 mark before I filled up. Mayde it's like mty CTD with a 5 gallon reserve.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:34 AM
P.J
Banned

$6.00 gets me about 1.79 gallons of diesel today, I'm thinking you are going to be GLAD you are running on natty gas.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:25 PM

We are thinking that we will save about $5,000 per year using CNG instead of B20 for our business deliveries (new CNG truck versus dodge 3500 diesel).

On top of that we will be seeing a $3000 state tax credit and can write the truck off as a business expense in one year (saves about 4K in taxes).

Plus we can drive in the commuter lane with one person because it is a clean fuel truck (special plate needed).

We paid $9500 for the truck, which had already had $8600 in modification for convert to CNG. The blue book is $14K. We have many of these trucks for sale in the area that were previously part of the state fleet. The state switched to flex fuel (ethanol/gasoline). There aren't too many ethanol stations around here, though.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:24 AM

I got 150-160 miles out of that six dollars. I found another station with better pressure so i was able to top it off finally.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My son went to school in Calif.a few years ago and told me the busses he rode on had "CNG" on them. I wondered if they could have been converted diesels??
Old 11-24-2007, 12:11 PM

CNG vehicles very popular here in Utah.

The popularity of the CNG vehicles has increased drastically here in Utah recently, we have the lowest price of CNG in the nation. There are a lot of folks at work buying them and there has been talk of a natural gas compressor being installed at the plant. (These vehicles need approx. 3600 psi. to get a complete fill up.) I have been looking into the Ford F150 CNG bi-fuel trucks, but I hear there is a lot to be desired with Fords CNG setup compared to the Chevy. There seems to be a lot more Fords on the used market than the Chevy's (for trucks anyway). The folks at work have been buying the Chevrolet Cavilier and they love them.

Could you please let me know how the truck is doing on power and mileage and if you have any issues with the CNG system. I am assuming that you have the bi-fuel system that you can switch it from gasoline to CNG. Did you buy this vehicle from a dealer locally or go out of state?
Old 11-24-2007, 08:59 PM

So how do you fill up with gasoline if it runs on CNG? Just going off what I found on ebay. would love to find something haha
Old 11-24-2007, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rough-n-Ready
The popularity of the CNG vehicles has increased drastically here in Utah recently, we have the lowest price of CNG in the nation. There are a lot of folks at work buying them and there has been talk of a natural gas compressor being installed at the plant. (These vehicles need approx. 3600 psi. to get a complete fill up.) I have been looking into the Ford F150 CNG bi-fuel trucks, but I hear there is a lot to be desired with Fords CNG setup compared to the Chevy. There seems to be a lot more Fords on the used market than the Chevy's (for trucks anyway). The folks at work have been buying the Chevrolet Cavilier and they love them.

Could you please let me know how the truck is doing on power and mileage and if you have any issues with the CNG system. I am assuming that you have the bi-fuel system that you can switch it from gasoline to CNG. Did you buy this vehicle from a dealer locally or go out of state?
It is cng only built by ford. Power seems to be normal for a v8. I bought from a dealer in West Jordan. I am on my third tank, but first full tank, so it will be my first chance for an mpg reading, if it tops off on my next fill up. My neighbor bought 5 cng vans for his company, 3 fords and 2 chevys. He has had no problems except two of them ran out of gas and had to be towed. I don't know about the chevys but this f150 seems ok to me. Very roomy, cold ac, good heat, and shifts flawlesy. I got 14 dollars total in the last 3 tanks. I think I am getting about 15 mpg in town. I was told the bi-fuel is more troublesom due to all the extra stuff. I don't know how many miles are on the oil but it looks new, they say you can go 10k on the oil. This truck is no different than any other f150 gasser, as far as I can tell.

Quick Reply: .63 cents a gallon in Utah