Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

1/2 Crude Oil 1/2 ULSD

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Str8 crude?

Hey guys! First and foremost, thanks for all your effort and energy in these forums. I have been reading for several years on and off.

There are a couple guys that have been running straight crude (Filtered only) in their trucks. I was thinking about blending some.... But they have been running it now for quite some time.

What are your opinions on running straight crude? Anyone tried it? It is tempting since diesel is over $4 here, and I can get crude oil for $75/ barrel. (55 gal)
Old 03-31-2011, 11:30 AM

Crude oil quality varies greatly. Start by finding out if it is heavy or light crude. They should be able to tell you the API Gravity of the crude. Diesel fuel is typcially in the low to mid 30's.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:18 AM

we ran cat gen sets on straight crude in a remote oilfield location for years on fairly heavy crude of 24 gravity but heated it to 170 degrees first. a cummins will run perfectly fine on a 50 percent mix of 30 plus gravity crude and diesel if properly filtered. the best way is to centrifuge the crude and then pump it through a filter on the way to the fuel tank.
The centrifuge will not only remove the water and sediment but also the heavier asphaltines from the crude.
this addresses the filtering but not the tax issues , the legality of said fuel would be up to you and your location to determine.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CamperAndy
At $90 a barrel and 42 gallons to a barrel it would cost just pinch over $2 a gallon. Penny wise and Pound foolish.
probably getting it for free
Old 04-19-2011, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by cbhester
I run this fuel that mod is talking of. It is someone I know really well and he has a well on his property. We pump it and run it through a series of filters, then add ULSD to it, 1/2 and 1/2. I've been burning it in my 01 dodge for about 3 months now. It burns very good, gives great lubrication which has been taken out of our highway diesel, and I have had no problems with it thus far. I am concerned that it may have a problem with clogging injectors. I have never heard anyone say that it does, I'm just being scepticle. Anyway, this fuel seems to really be doing good, from what my unlce has found out, it burns a little hotter, gives better lubrication and supposidly burns cleaner. Not sure, but all I know is its doing fine in my truck. And it saves me $40 per TANK!!
You also have to be careful that your OTHER uncle doesn't fine out or you could get in trouble because you are not paying Road Taxes on it.