Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

$5.00/Gallon And Headed North-What's You're Breaking Point?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hit my breaking point when it hit $4...at least for the truck. With a 70 mile commute, it doesn't take long to add up. So for now I'm driving my wifes little Beetely Bug TDI that gets 47 mpg and my breaking point with this car will be $10 but I seriously doubt that will happen...right???? I'll be keeping the old goat since its almost mine but she will stay at home with the wife.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I'm just outside of Dallas and oil is selling for $134/barrel on the comodities markets. Diesel is selling in Denton, Tx (last place I filled up) for $4.49 per gallon. 50 cents less than in Mesquite, Nevada. The dollar is falling again, that means oil prices will be on the rise - with diesel prices set to go up again to ? ? ?
Old 06-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Banned

My breaking point has already come and gone. Truck has been parked for 2mo now. Still not getting rid of it though. Besides if fuel goes to $10/gal or higher it's probably going to have a .50 cal mounted into the back of it.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:09 PM

My dad got a new daily driver, so I stole his old little car. It gets 43mpg highway, and 35 in town. I only drive my truck if I have to. Sometimes I have to drive it just to drive it, but it mostly just takes the boat to the lake and back. Sucks.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:17 PM

I bought a daily driver last year and have had a hard time trying to keep one around that runs. Its sickening how high it is but I just dont drive my truck much. the main reason I may sell mine is im looking into buying my first house and it will be hard for me to keep the truck. if I sell my truck I willg get another cummins powered truck at some point. ive got my eye on a 12V if mine sells
Old 06-06-2008, 03:37 PM

im keeping mine. just pay it off, buy a little rice burner and drive it for fun or for pulling, the reason we all purchased them for. I drive an escalade daily with 20 mpg avg..... I might just buy a TDI VW and park them both......
Old 06-06-2008, 03:38 PM

the other thing I did a few years back is form a corporation for my wife and I and file as an S corp, we deduct all of our mileage, that helps cut back what we owe at the end of the year tooo....
Old 06-07-2008, 11:18 AM

Parked my mega cab about a month ago. Been driving a sebring convertible that my mom had as a third car. Was paying about 145 bones a week driving the mega to work, now it is down to 50 a week. Only really drive the truck when the weather is bad, or have to pull our enclosed trailers on the weekend. FYI - mega cabs mileage unloaded 13-18, pulling a 8.5 x 24 trailer 8-9 tops. Have seen as low a 7.2 hand calculated pulling a 5k load. Truck is nice, but compared to efficiency of the old one in signature this newer enviro friendly 5.9 sucks. Hate hooking a trailer to it anymore. Pulled a 22 foot deck boat for a friend back from indianapolis and got 8 miles per gallon boat weighed around 3k plus trailer. Horrible.......absolutely horrible.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:56 PM

It is my personal opinion, and I certainly could be wrong, that if diesel remains expensive - $5/gal or thereabouts - those who have parked their trucks in hopes fuel prices subside, will begin dumping them - unless they are required for work.

$40K worth of truck, or anything else, that is not used for anything but for something to wax, is simply more money than most folks have to spend for that purpose. Yes, they will likely take a major beating. But the longer they hold onto the truck, the bigger the beating will be.

I wish we had a crystal ball and could look at fuel prices a year from now. One thing we know for certain, we can't count on the government to expand domestic supply - so unless interest rates climb and the dollar gets substantially stronger against other currencies, we're screwed.

Something is way out of shape when Mexico, with known oil reserves smaller than those in the US, can EXPORT oil to the USA while selling diesel in Mexico for $2.25/gal, while we refuse to expand internal production and watch our citizens pay $5 at the pump.

It's called governmental mismanagement.

Our "leaders", the pitiful bunch they are, refuse to build refineries, refuse drilling in ANWAR, or even drilling 100 miles off Florida's coast - where the Chinese have drilling rigs. All the while, nuclear energy has been placed off limits.

No wonder we're in a jamb. If one wanted to create a "perfect storm" in which fuel prices skyrocket at the whim of futures speculators, our leaders could not have done any better.

I don't see things improving much.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:19 PM

looks like americans will have to change driving habits, does anyone need a big dually truck just to go to work, or soccer moms need an Excursion suv to take the kids to school. Really do they!!!!
Old 06-08-2008, 08:06 PM

No, ronbros, most folks don't need large vehicles for daily activities - but they do require them to haul a boat, 5th wheel, travel trailer and such. On the other hand, some people make their living with these trucks and certainly cross country truckers require diesel rigs. And the more they pay for fuel the more we pay for everything we consume.

We can't simply consume less diesel in America and assume the price will go down. We are in competition for this comodity with India, Russia, China and other emerging economies.

We could, however, lessen the burden on American consumers of diesel fuels, and other fossil fuel products, by extracting more oil from our known reserves. But, we won't do it.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by DrMike

We could, however, lessen the burden on American consumers of diesel fuels, and other fossil fuel products, by extracting more oil from our known reserves. But, we won't do it.
so we roll the dice and go into new domestic reserves (which will be partially paid for with our tax $$$), and assume the oil companies, speculators, and investment banks will 'play fair' with all this new oil? that's a HUGE leap of faith.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:02 PM

My trucks are paid off so replacing them would be a new payment. My truck is for support for the big truck and personal use. I get 18 or better all around mileag on the '97 and that is with fifth gear gone. I guess I better get going and put the trans and clutch in it that is sitting on the bench. Should do 21 or so I would guess.

I burn more drain oil now and drive less. But I need the truck for my work and two vehicles are not in the cards. My son and I are going to share the '97 and he will sell his gasser Ford. Gotta get the boat in the water.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:18 AM

The main reason diesel is subsidized most in Mexico is because of their economy. Everything in Mexico is delivered by truck. If the price of diesel were to go to $4, everything would become too expensive for most poor Mexicans. The result would be a revolution.
Besides, there is only 1 oil company in Mexico, Pemex, owned by the goverment.
If they want to keep diesel low, they can. It is easier than a revolution.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by supr
The main reason diesel is subsidized most in Mexico is because of their economy. Everything in Mexico is delivered by truck. If the price of diesel were to go to $4, everything would become too expensive for most poor Mexicans. The result would be a revolution.
Besides, there is only 1 oil company in Mexico, Pemex, owned by the goverment.
If they want to keep diesel low, they can. It is easier than a revolution.
Same could be said for The United States of America. The only difference is the price of fuel has not hit the breaking point--yet.

I predict we see bad things coming in the not so distant future.

Quick Reply: $5.00/Gallon And Headed North-What's You're Breaking Point?