Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Cummins Conversions (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/cummins-conversions-157/)
-   -   Ford Excursion cummins swap (HPCR & 48RE) (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/cummins-conversions-157/ford-excursion-cummins-swap-hpcr-48re-176490/)

5.9Excursion 11-03-2007 09:42 PM

Ford Excursion cummins swap (HPCR & 48RE)

3 Attachment(s)
Well I finally got started on the actual teardown of the Excursion today[guitar]

The wife and kids are now going to be driving my truck every day.

Here's some progress pics...

Attachment 73950

Attachment 73951

Attachment 73952

Little03 11-03-2007 09:43 PM

Sweet deal man keep us posted on the progress.

Nick

5.9Excursion 11-03-2007 10:05 PM

Here's a link to my previous post on getting the new motor fired up in the garage...

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ht=engine+life

I'm ready to drop the tranny out of the EX, hopefully if it goes well I can pull the engine tomorrow too.

53 willys 11-03-2007 10:49 PM

right on!!!! I love seeing this stuff.
keep us updated....

wreedCTD 11-04-2007 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by 53 willys (Post 1772910)
right on!!!! I love seeing this stuff.
keep us updated....

X2 Subscribing!

OneBigDoofus 11-04-2007 02:35 PM

Good going man!

Are you going to shift it with all the dodge stuff or you going aftermarket shifter,...does anybody sell shifter for the 48?

The PCS is working great on my 4r100

PS,....Does your wife really know that once you get to drive it, she'll nebber get to drive it ever again. LOL[coffee]

TexMexCowboy 11-04-2007 04:25 PM

dude thats going to look and sound so kool

NHdodgeman 11-04-2007 05:37 PM

There you go[guitar] We just finished up dropping a 12V in a ferd with the same front end. Its a heck of a swap but its all worth it when all is said and done. Good luck!

5.9Excursion 11-04-2007 08:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got another 4 hours to work on it today. Went pretty well, got the engine and transmission removed. Here's the pics...

Attachment 73953

Attachment 73954

Attachment 73955

haloman 11-05-2007 10:38 AM

Looks good!!! Putting the V10 in a Ranger? That would be cool.

TonyB 11-05-2007 11:20 AM

I skimmed the thread for an answer...but couldn't find one...

I'm curious...Why the swap? Other than the power/longevity of the CTD (which would be obvious). Was the 7.3 tired? Dead?

Thanks!

Tony

5.9Excursion 11-05-2007 11:22 AM

It's a V10 gas hog now. It was about 10k cheaper to buy a gas excursion vs. one with a powerstroke w/ 100k on it. Also, it's much easier, cheaper, and more fun to mod a cummins vs. a powerstroke.

TonyB 11-05-2007 12:40 PM

Ok...thanks! Like I said, just curious!

Tony

5.9Excursion 11-05-2007 01:10 PM

Just ordered a MBRP stainless exhaust system and some Dipricol gauges (boost, EGT, fuel, and tranny) for the EX from Rip at sourceautomotive. Hope to make alot of progress this weekend.:)

I just realized I've still got about 35 gallons of gas in the fuel tank:mad: I intended on running it near empty before starting the teardown. Oh well, I guess I need to find a "few" gas cans...[laugh]

5.9Excursion 11-05-2007 08:54 PM

I got some small stuff done on it tonight. Removed the brake booster, vacuum tank, cruise control system, PS hoses and gear box (replacing it with a new one).

Hammily 11-06-2007 11:52 PM

What are you doing for fuel lines? Are you using the factory Ford lines?

5.9Excursion 11-07-2007 07:20 AM

I'm planning on using one of these (the one I purchased a while ago is alittle different design but you get the idea).

http://www.vulcanperformance.com/ser...2%84%A2/Detail

Probably use the ford line at the fuel tank for fuel return.

All lines from the tank to the engine will be new 3/8" or 1/2" (can't remember right now) hose also purchased from the site above.

BigDiesel396 11-07-2007 10:47 AM

talk about the ultimate family vehicle....looks like its gonna be a great rig when you get er done! Definitely subscribing to this one

5.9Excursion 11-07-2007 10:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A little more progress tonight. Got a new steering box and drag link end put on. The old box was worn out and causing the vehicle to not track straight. Jumped back and forth (very annoying). Also got the brake booster removed and replaced with the ford hydroboost unit.

Attachment 73956

Attachment 73957

The latest picture of my shop... err driveway...

Attachment 73958

Hammily 11-07-2007 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by 5.9Excursion (Post 1778439)
I'm planning on using one of these (the one I purchased a while ago is alittle different design but you get the idea).

http://www.vulcanperformance.com/ser...2%84%A2/Detail

Probably use the ford line at the fuel tank for fuel return.

All lines from the tank to the engine will be new 3/8" or 1/2" (can't remember right now) hose also purchased from the site above.

I did the same thing it worked great. I used the 3/8" biodiesel line. Vulcan is a pleasure to do business with.

xtoyz17 11-08-2007 09:11 PM

Subscribed.

tmleadr03 11-08-2007 09:30 PM

I am totally jealous. I really want to do a conversion like this! I was thinking a suburban, but same dif right? Man, way cool. Keep us posted.

5.9Excursion 11-10-2007 07:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Had a slight delay yesterday. I was swapping turbo's (out with the stock one and in with the SPS62) and managed to burn three fingers on both hands.[verymad] I had the stainless steel braided oil line loose from the turbo and swung it forward out of the way. It came to rest against the + wire on the back of the alternator. The line started smoking immediately, so stupid me I grab it with both hands to move it [dummy](thinking I better move it before it gets hot). Right.... burnt the crap out of my first two fingers and thumb on both hands. I still have the imprint of the braided hose on 6 of my fingers. Blistered up pretty good too...

So in order to still make progress I had my wife out turning the wrenches last night while I gave instructions with ice bags on both hands (I have no idea of how to explain how bad they felt all day yesterday).

So today they don't hurt as bad, just have to drain the blisters every so often. Still making progress though.

Here's the latest pics... Got the engine installed, ready to bolt up the transmission now... Then the new MBRP stainless exhaust goes in:cool:

Attachment 73959

Attachment 73960

Attachment 73961

bumpytruck 11-10-2007 08:00 PM

First I have to tell ya that thing is awesome!! I had an Excursion with the PSD in it and it too wandered down the road.My memory is escaping me right now as to what the fix was but I do know that it was caused by the rear axle rolling on the leaf springs under acceleration and deceleration.I know I found the fix on a ford forum site.But I dont recall which one.I think ford truck enthusiasts but I,m not sure.So if your problem persists after the new box look this stuff up.

DevilzTower 11-10-2007 08:42 PM

I like the custom mag-lite holder!!!! that thing is sweet, where do I pick one up??? [laugh][laugh][laugh]

db 11-10-2007 08:44 PM

Emissions?????
I heard it's a problem going from a gasser to a diesel.
I'd do it to my 05' EX in a heartbeat if I knew it wasn't a problem.

5.9Excursion 11-10-2007 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by bumpytruck (Post 1784082)
First I have to tell ya that thing is awesome!! I had an Excursion with the PSD in it and it too wandered down the road.My memory is escaping me right now as to what the fix was but I do know that it was caused by the rear axle rolling on the leaf springs under acceleration and deceleration.I know I found the fix on a ford forum site.But I dont recall which one.I think ford truck enthusiasts but I,m not sure.So if your problem persists after the new box look this stuff up.

I've read all about it, the rear axle causes it to wander on the road. I've installed some of the Landyot radius rods (kind of like caltracs) to try and cure the problem. Also installed a rear sway bar as they didn't come factory until 03 or 04. Next I did balljoints (they were worn out). Then I did tie rod ends. All that is left is the steering box and the drag link arm. However the front caster is only 3.5 degrees and the ford spec is like 1 to 6 degrees. I also have some axle shims (go between the springs and the perch) to give it 2 more degrees of caster to help it track straight if the box doesn't fix it.

Emissions, what emissions? A 03 Dodge 2500 truck with a cummins has no emissions equipment on it from the factory so it wouldn't be a problem passing in stock form in the Excursion.

xtoyz17 11-11-2007 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by 5.9Excursion (Post 1784253)
I've read all about it, the rear axle causes it to wander on the road. I've installed some of the Landyot radius rods (kind of like caltracs) to try and cure the problem. Also installed a rear sway bar as they didn't come factory until 03 or 04. Next I did balljoints (they were worn out). Then I did tie rod ends. All that is left is the steering box and the drag link arm. However the front caster is only 3.5 degrees and the ford spec is like 1 to 6 degrees. I also have some axle shims (go between the springs and the perch) to give it 2 more degrees of caster to help it track straight if the box doesn't fix it.

Emissions, what emissions? A 03 Dodge 2500 truck with a cummins has no emissions equipment on it from the factory so it wouldn't be a problem passing in stock form in the Excursion.

Right. But a gas vehicle DOES have emissions. So how do you go about getting an inspection on a vehicle that needs to meet certain criteria when your motor meets none of them? E.g. NY requires OBD2 scanning, which would result in a massive fail with a diesel since there is no cat, no 02 sensors, no EGR check, etc..

5.9Excursion 11-11-2007 09:30 PM

Now I see your question. I live in Nebraska where we don't have inspections... (lucky me)

I'm currently stuggling to get the new goerend convertor installed in the tranny. Sounds like such a simple task that I thought would take 2 mins... [verymad] Can't get the splines to line up and allow it to go on the last 1/2".[dummy]

In the mean time I dissassembled the ford transfer case and put the dodge input shaft in it. It's back together now but needs a new input shaft seal (had to destroy the original to get to a snap ring). Didn't take any pics, the wife had the camera today.

Opened the MBRP exhaust box, it sure looks nice :cool:

kingofdodge7131 11-11-2007 10:09 PM

Even if he did have inspectins it wouldnt have to pass since it is a diesel.... Changing of registration is all that is needed

cnvrt2cummins 11-11-2007 10:12 PM

That is really looking good. You are a few weeks or maybe months ahead of me on the same project. I have a 96 suburban with a 12v that I need to sell and then I wil buy an excursion with a V10 and put an 05 cummins with the 48re. I dont know if you know this or not but there is a few years since 03 that the cummins computor controlled the trans as well. So I am planning on using the year of computor when Cummins was controlling the trans. I work at the cummins tech center in columbus IN and an engineer was telling me what years they switched back and forth. If you need to know which years let me know and I will ask him again if you do not already have this info.

J OOPS 11-11-2007 10:18 PM

Awsome!! Did you know that there is only a adapter for Cummins to Ford and not the other way around. Says alot about Cummins. If there is an adapter the other way I never heard or seen it.

Tate 11-11-2007 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by J OOPS (Post 1785742)
Awsome!! Did you know that there is only a adapter for Cummins to Ford and not the other way around. Says alot about Cummins. If there is an adapter the other way I never heard or seen it.

They have them for chevy's too. The 4bta's used in step vans were usually on a Ford of GM chassis, so they have adapters to each transmission.

Stargate2112 11-12-2007 12:30 PM

5.9Excursion - Great Thread... and a Great Project... I will be checking in to see and maybe get more ideas, following your progress...

I have the same kind of project in the planning stages, although a bit of a different approach. I have a 1990 Ford Bronco that is going to get the Cummins diesel for a heart.

The way that I want to do it, is to find a wrecked Dodge Ram Truck (preferably rolled) remove the totaled body from the frame, leaving the engine, drive line, and frame intact, I'll have to shorten the frame by at least 31" move the rear axle up by the same amount,and then mount the Bronco body onto the frame.

I'm going to start a new thread, as I don't want to hi-jack this one.

Keep up the good work...

Rob aka stargate2112

DiEseLjunKy 11-12-2007 04:56 PM

Your wife's a trooper :D You're making good progress. Can't wait to see how it all turns out. Keep the pics coming. Is the mbrp a single or duals?

5.9Excursion 11-13-2007 11:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got most of the exhaust installed, I bought a MBRP stainless kit for a 7.3 diesel excursion and am planning on using my downpipe I bought to go with the SPS62 turbo. Looks like it will turn out great. The muffler looks so good I could hardly mount it out of sight... Still haven't put the 5" tip on the tailpipe yet though.

Attachment 73962

Attachment 73963

5.9Excursion 11-13-2007 11:43 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Got the fuel tank removed today (huge is an understatement). Removed the factory fuel pump and pickup assembly, discarded the fuel pump, and reused the factory fuel line headed out from the pump as a 2nd return line. Installed a draw straw and it worked perfect. The draw straw sits in the bottom of the fuel canister pickup assembly which sucks off the bottom 1/4" of the tank and is also kept full by the fuel return lines. The only problem I had was that I need more fuel line. With the tank behind the rear axle the fuel line runs are pretty long. Also modified the fuel inlet to the tank so I can fill up at truck stops.

Attachment 73964

Attachment 73965

Attachment 73966

Attachment 73967

Attachment 73968

Attachment 73969

xtoyz17 11-14-2007 12:19 AM

Nice fingers!

DWK 11-14-2007 12:23 AM

I see your fingers are healing. LOL
Well atleast enough to get some work done today. Looks good

rufushusky 11-14-2007 10:02 AM