Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

B3.3T Jeep YJ

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Hayabusa..

What vehicle do you plan on using I assume Jeep being you are comparing it to the 4.0.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:38 PM

Well the engine came. The shipper dropped it on its side right on the concrete floor. Broke a bracket that is part of the intake manifold, so I refused shipment. hope I can get it replaced.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:39 PM

Yes, I'm hoping to put it into a 98 Cherokee.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hayabusa007
AstecUnderground also did have the 85hp avalible also, but they are gone. The non turbo is making only 20 ft. lb.less torque than the 4.0. I figure a little tuning will at least match th 4.0 . So I ordered one of those.
What I want to know is how to attempt to match this with the auto trans. I'd rather not, but I could always go with a GM trans to get a diesel valve body, and torque converter.
I think you will regret not using a turbo'd B3.3. Without a turbo to force more air into the engine you are limited on the amount addiitional fuel you can add for performance tuning. Adding a turbo later is much more expensive than starting with a turbo diesel.

Well the engine came. The shipper dropped it on its side right on the concrete floor. Broke a bracket that is part of the intake manifold, so I refused shipment. hope I can get it replaced.
Great! Now is your opportunity to get a turbocharged B3.3.

I've also seen some info on some other sites about making the auto a manual shift by bypassing the TCU. But most seems to be old threads. One guy even made a kit but went out of contact last dec.
I'm hoping to put it into a 98 Cherokee.
Your 4.0L Cherokee has an AW4 transmission. It is an excellent transmission for a 4.0L, but I do not know if it will withstand the low rpm torque of the diesel. http://radesignsproducts.com/default.aspx sells an AW4 manual shifter. I do NOT have any experience with this unit.

I do not know of anyone that sells an adapter to bolt the Jeep AW4 to an SAE 4 flywheel housing. www.phxgrp.com had built a prototype SAE 4 to Jeep AX15 adapter set, but I do not know if it is in production. http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_375.htm sells an adapter that will bolt the AX15/NV3550/NSG370 to a small block Chevy. The AX15/NV3550/NSG370 were all used behind the 4.0L and have the same bellhousing pattern as the AW4. http://www.phxgrp.com/transGM.htm sells an SAE 4 to Chevy adapter. The SAE 10 flywheel adapter will probably have to be custom. http://www.phxgrp.com will do custom work for extra $$$$.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:26 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by 95Z28A4
I think you will regret not using a turbo'd B3.3. Without a turbo to force more air into the engine you are limited on the amount addiitional fuel you can add for performance tuning. Adding a turbo later is much more expensive than starting with a turbo diesel.

Great! Now is your opportunity to get a turbocharged B3.3.

Your 4.0L Cherokee has an AW4 transmission. It is an excellent transmission for a 4.0L, but I do not know if it will withstand the low rpm torque of the diesel. http://radesignsproducts.com/default.aspx sells an AW4 manual shifter. I do NOT have any experience with this unit.

I do not know of anyone that sells an adapter to bolt the Jeep AW4 to an SAE 4 flywheel housing. www.phxgrp.com had built a prototype SAE 4 to Jeep AX15 adapter set, but I do not know if it is in production. http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_375.htm sells an adapter that will bolt the AX15/NV3550/NSG370 to a small block Chevy. The AX15/NV3550/NSG370 were all used behind the 4.0L and have the same bellhousing pattern as the AW4. http://www.phxgrp.com/transGM.htm sells an SAE 4 to Chevy adapter. The SAE 10 flywheel adapter will probably have to be custom. http://www.phxgrp.com will do custom work for extra $$$$.

I fugured if I could match the 4.0 I'd be satisfied.

I've got a Powerdyne supercharger under the desk, that I never put on a Camaro I had. Not like 24-20 lb boost, but it would make 9-10 lb.

The more I think about it, the better off I'd be to go manual. at least simpler to do.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:53 PM

I finished the maintenance turnaround a week early.........thanks to the swine flu. I'll be quarantined until 10/07/09.

Hayabusa007,
Any word on the freight damage? I have given some thought to using the Powerdyne on the Cummins. In order to make the same boost with the Cummins, you'll need a larger crank pulley to drive the compressor to its rated speed. The Cummins spins at half the revs of the LT1/LS1. Also, the Powerdyne consumes significantly more horsepower than a turbocharger. This may affect performance as well as fuel economy. With a turbodiesel, as you add more fuel, you create more exhaust heat. This exhaust heat spins the compressor faster and creates more boost which allows you to add more fuel........within the design limitations of the turbocharger/intercooler/fuel system. With the the belt driven powerdyne, boost and fueling do not directly affect each other. At this time, these are ramblings of a slightly delirious man with 102F fever. They are not based on anything that I have read or experienced. I do believe that tuning the Cummins with a belt driven supercharger will be more difficult than tuning it with a turbocharger. I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just trying to inform you.

There is a lot of information in this thread on mating the AX15 to the B3.3.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:47 AM

I got the replacement engine last thursday. Got it unloaded in good condition.

The Powerdyne would be more trouble than its worth.
It was just a quick thought ,without thinking it over.

I know a guy that fools around with the old 12 valve Cummins 5.9 alot. He and his brother does some truck pulls. He says this engine will still take a turbo. Just use a wastegate, and only go for around 6-8 lbs of pressure. This because the na engine has more compression to begain with than the turbo engine. He said I'd be suprised what 6 lb would do for it.

I have a 98 Cherokee with auto. I may look around for one with a manual trans to use. It would be simpler in the end.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:20 AM

I just got my 85hp turbo version from astec.
It looks good and I'm happy with the service.
I got the last one the had for $2700

I'll be starting it in the next day or two. Hopefully everything is ok.

It going into a toyota pickup.

Will keep ya'll posted when I find a donor truck and get the project rolling.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:53 PM

Good luck with the project! Please do keep us posted.

95Z28A4 hope you're healing up from the flu.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:42 PM

Does anyone know if it would be possible to flip the exhaust manifold so the turbo sits on the side of the block instead of above the valve cover? It looks like it would be possible, just need to rework the oil feed and drain, and probably clock the turbo.

I am also interested in an approximate height from the bottom of the oil pan to the top of the valve cover on the front side of the engine. anyone know?

thanks!
Old 10-07-2009, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by old_
Does anyone know if it would be possible to flip the exhaust manifold so the turbo sits on the side of the block instead of above the valve cover? It looks like it would be possible, just need to rework the oil feed and drain, and probably clock the turbo.

I am also interested in an approximate height from the bottom of the oil pan to the top of the valve cover on the front side of the engine. anyone know?

thanks!
There are differences in the drain ports of a HM and LM turbo. If used in the wrong position bearing cavities will fill with oil causing damage. Only Tier 3 have LMFO LMRO options.

Front flat of valve cover to oil pan approx 26” 11\16 + 1” 11/16 for the fill tube.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:29 PM

Just got my dakota bellhousing.

just to confirm what I've read the ax-15 and toyota r151 share the same bellhousing pattern.

now what to do about the 1" shorter input shaft on the toyota trans. Looking into an AA pilot bushing.

also the neck on the bearing retainer is a smaller diameter on the toy trans.

anyone know if you can swap the bearing retainers so I can use the dodge throwout bearing/hub?

Worst case scenario is I buy a tacoma trans with the longer input shaft that is the same as the ax 15. Then I can use a toyota disc and a dodge pressure plate.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:57 AM

This should answer your questions

http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/f41/eng...housings-4740/

Old 11-12-2009, 08:29 PM

after bolting the bellhousing onto the tranny...I'm not liking the input shaft length. an 1" short and the bearing retainer has a smaller diameter collar.

Looks like I'm going to have to get the newer tacoma trans to make this work.

Still looking for the right donor toyota...and I'm getting impatient
Old 11-18-2009, 09:53 AM

TJ/JK swap

Ok I have been circling this thread for quite awhile. I am a huge fan of you guys have Pioneered for the 3.3BT Conversions.

I have just aquired two Cummins 3.3 engines bery reasonable.
one turbo that needs Dusted
One non-turbo that spun a Rod bearing and caused a crack in the block (Minor) this one has very low hours.

My first question is for the Turbo Unit do I just pay for the rings gaskets and studs and rebuild it, or should I just use the low hours Engine to piece one together.

My intensions are to build a Daily driver TDIwyse style, using a TJ 5speed or a JK 5 speed donor.

I plan on using the PC SAE4 to Chrysler 727 ?
I know there is information on this that I will have to re- read in this thread.

I do want Power steering or at least PS Assist

I will build engine on stand with Guages and everything before I even obtain a Donor vehicle.

Quick Reply: B3.3T Jeep YJ