Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

B3.3T Jeep YJ

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered a powersteering pump from surplus supply yesterday. We will see how it is going to work once it shows up. It was only $89. It will pump 2-4 gpm depending on rpm and has an adjustable pressure setting preset at 1500psi. These #s match a factory GM pump pretty well so I think it will work well with the factory steering box.
One important thing to note for you other guys looking for pumps on Cummins Quickserv my is listed as requiring reverse rotation pump.
Also had to order a new vacuum switch for my electric vacuum pump. My brakes quit working on friday.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:42 PM

There are a couple of sections in my Operation and Maintenance Manual for the QSB3.3 and B3.3 that show serpentine belts. Did you research a cummins option for the serpentine setup?

Originally Posted by 95Z28A4
BigBlue
Those are pics of 3.3Sonoma's build. He posted the link on page 39 of this thread. I posted the link on 4btswaps to provide proof of his build to a disbeliever. On 05/30/2008, the disbeliever asked for photos as proof of the build.

I'm collecting parts to build a serpentine accessory drive for qsb3.3t. I've purchased a March Performance 6.5" SBF crank pulley and some salvage yard accessories in order to build the accessory brackets. I have a 1997 4.0 L Jeep Grand Cherokee A/C compressor and a 1997 2.5L Jeep Wrangler power steering pump & remote reservoir. I'm still searching for a 136 amp alternator for a 1997-1998 4.0L Grand Cherokee. The March Performance pulley was $15 off ebay, is flat and large enough to slip over the qsb3.3t crank pulley. I'll have my brother machine an adapter to attach March pulley to the Cummins pulley. Once the accessories are mounted, ASP racing will machine a custom pulley for the water pump. I spoke to Lee with ASP and he said with my measurements he can machine a custom fit water pump pulley for ~ $150.

I still haven't decided on a transmission. I've narrowed my choices to 1997-1999 Jeep AX15 or 2002-2004 Dakota NV3500.

For a front axle I will use a 1996-1999 Cherokee hi pinion Dana 30 with 3.07 gears. It is a bolt in for the Grand Cherokee and is readily available with 3.07 gears for about the same price as re-gearing the weaker Grand Cherokee low pinion Dana 30.

IMHO the 1993-1998 Grand Cherokee did not have any decent rear axles available from the factory. I can purchase expensive bolt-in aftermarket rear axles that are much more robust than I need. I will probably use a 1987-1989 Cherokee Dana 44. Of course I'll have to strip the brackets off the Dana 44 and weld the Grand Cherokee brackets to it, but it is available with factory 3.07 gears and I'll save a bundle over an aftermarket Dana 60.

Speaking of hoses, I've located and ordered a thermostat housing that seems better suited for low hood applications. It bends over to the passenger side instead of pointing upward. It was $65!! shipped. I've attached a link to a pdf. Go to pages 9 & 10 for pictures and a part number.

http://www.gencomineservice.com/book4.pdf
Old 09-20-2008, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm back from vacation

Originally Posted by slowtoyota
There are a couple of sections in my Operation and Maintenance Manual for the QSB3.3 and B3.3 that show serpentine belts. Did you research a cummins option for the serpentine setup?
Yes, I did research.........but, I obviously did a poor job. Where in the Operations and Maintenance Manual did you find it?
Old 09-20-2008, 11:39 PM

95Z28A4,

thanks for the lead on the thermostat housing I would have not been aware of the option if you didn't mention it. The part number from Genco Mine Service manual is a Cummins number. I ordered it from Cummins for $55 including overnight shipping. Again thanks for the lead.

Good thing you ordered your QSB 3.3 when you did. They sold out quickly.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue
Old 09-21-2008, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by 3.3Sonoma
I ordered a powersteering pump from surplus supply yesterday. We will see how it is going to work once it shows up. It was only $89. It will pump 2-4 gpm depending on rpm and has an adjustable pressure setting preset at 1500psi. These #s match a factory GM pump pretty well so I think it will work well with the factory steering box.
One important thing to note for you other guys looking for pumps on Cummins Quickserv my is listed as requiring reverse rotation pump.
Also had to order a new vacuum switch for my electric vacuum pump. My brakes quit working on friday.
Is that a power steering pump to fit in the gear drive off the timing case?

I actually tore my explorer apart yesterday and I think I'm just going to use the explorer accessories mounted on some custom brackets. I was going to run the alt on the v-belt and the AC and PS off the serpentine with serp pulley bolted to the front of the existing crank pulley... Kindof a wacky setup I guess but it would work.

I'm going to be keeping a journal of my efforts at my blog at mooktank(dot)com and the second post should be up today.

By the way, TDIwyse, I'm still waiting on the answer to which pilot bearing you used!!! I don't want to have to machine an adapter if there's one I can just buy!
Old 09-21-2008, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by 3.3Sonoma
Is this the surplus supply you are referring to?
http://www.surplussupply.com/

Do you have a make/model number? Or item number? Or link to the pump?
Old 09-21-2008, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by mooktank

I actually tore my explorer apart yesterday and I think I'm just going to use the explorer accessories mounted on some custom brackets. I was going to run the alt on the v-belt and the AC and PS off the serpentine with serp pulley bolted to the front of the existing crank pulley... Kindof a wacky setup I guess but it would work.
I've thought of this option as well. You may want to look at the March Performance #3111 crank pulley as an option to drive your A/C & P/S. Check out www.marchperf.com for ideas on accessory placement and belt routing. BTW, the site has more info than is available with direct links. After clicking on a pulley link, change the page number in the address and you'll see what I'm referring to.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by BigBluemotors
95Z28A4,

thanks for the lead on the thermostat housing I would have not been aware of the option if you didn't mention it. The part number from Genco Mine Service manual is a Cummins number. I ordered it from Cummins for $55 including overnight shipping. Again thanks for the lead.

Good thing you ordered your QSB 3.3 when you did. They sold out quickly.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue
You're welcome. I tried to edit my earlier post to add the Cummins part number, but couldn't. Just in case http://www.gencomineservice.com/book4.pdf disappears from the web, I'm adding the thermostat housing part number here: C6204116430.

Yep, they sure did sell out quickly........or they changed their mind about selling them at their cost........or Vermeer decided they wanted them anyway. Whatever the reason, I'm glad I purchased it when I did.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:37 AM

Just got back from a bicycle tour of Idaho -- which is a beautiful state by the way. Sorry for the late response. I just responded to your PM about it. Hope it helps.

Great info guys.

Originally Posted by mooktank

I'm going to be keeping a journal of my efforts at my blog at mooktank(dot)com and the second post should be up today.

By the way, TDIwyse, I'm still waiting on the answer to which pilot bearing you used!!! I don't want to have to machine an adapter if there's one I can just buy!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:01 AM

Looks like post #441 on page 30 had the same info I PM'd you. Don't have the P/N handy but it was a standard bearing.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:49 AM

It's not much. In the belt maintenance section there are maintenance instructions for serpentine as well as v belts. One other drawing on page 6-1 shows a drawing with a serpentine belt. These may be standard drawings and sections added to all operation and maintenance books.

Originally Posted by 95Z28A4
Yes, I did research.........but, I obviously did a poor job. Where in the Operations and Maintenance Manual did you find it?
Old 09-22-2008, 10:27 AM

The pump I bought was from www.surpluscenter.com. It was their item 9-5998
barnes pump. I have not recieved it yet so not sure how it is going to work. It is a hydraulic pump to run off of the front PTO drive. I had my neigbor order the two bearings and gear I need to install it.
I got my brakes working again this weekend but am not happy with the ssb electric vacuum pump. Thinking about trying a belt drive one from a older ford. I think I can mount it below the alternator pretty easily. But one project at a time. I am going to try to get the power steering working first.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:48 AM

3.3Sonoma,
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...=1&item=9-5998 is listed as a gear pump. Most automotive application power steering pumps are rotary vane pumps.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/steering4.htm

Do you think the steering will have a different "feel" with the gear pump?

Will the gear pump require fluid of a different viscosity for proper operation/lubrication?

If yes, is the steering box and system elastomers compatible with this fluid?

Will the gear pump require more/less/same HP to drive it?
Old 09-23-2008, 09:26 AM

In post #339 Ohio3.3b was talking about having a gear driven pump on his engine. Did anyone find out what pump it was or get any numbers off of it from him?
Old 09-23-2008, 01:14 PM

I PM'd Ohio3.3B several months ago requesting info on the pump, but did not get a reply. It appears that he has not been active on this board since 4/18/08.

Quick Reply: B3.3T Jeep YJ