Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

2003 Yukon XL Denali Diesel Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Yukon XL Denali Diesel Swap

I just wanted to see if it would be possible to drop a diesel in my wife's new SUV. The truck is all wheel drive, so that brings issues with it.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do it, I wanna see how it fits

Jon
Old 02-21-2008, 02:06 AM

I'll have to sit down and figure out what all is involved.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:19 AM

This is where a duramax would fit real nice. Or are you gonna stick to the CTD?
Old 02-21-2008, 05:35 AM
Banned

any non-GM engine will be a nightmare to integrate with the denali's electrical/computer system.

The GM trucks/SUV's are MUCH MUCH more integrated and complicated in that department compared to dodge/ford trucks.

duramax will require a body lift if you want to run an allison. You could also run a 4L85hd and no body lift. Any 03-06 duramax harness will more or less be plug and play with the rest of the denali body/engien compartment harness with minimal cutting and splicing. The stock denali transfer case will probably hate life behind a dmax. NP141 I think?? Need to convert to an NP263 push button shift. Floor shift wont work because the denali center console is in the way.

It would be a cool swap tho.

ben
Old 02-21-2008, 09:36 AM

I would love to put a CTD in it, but as the previous poster said it would be a PIA. I kinda figured a lot would go into it no matter what, but the Dmax sounds like the best option. As far as the transmission goes, I'd like to keep it all wheel drive. Is there an AWD tranny made that can stand up to the Dmax? Which Dmax motor should I start looking at. I like all the fancy readouts, but they are not a requirement for me.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TravisDj
I would love to put a CTD in it, but as the previous poster said it would be a PIA. I kinda figured a lot would go into it no matter what, but the Dmax sounds like the best option. As far as the transmission goes, I'd like to keep it all wheel drive. Is there an AWD tranny made that can stand up to the Dmax? Which Dmax motor should I start looking at. I like all the fancy readouts, but they are not a requirement for me.
Fancy readouts?

I dont think the stock denali awd xfer case will hold up if you really mod the dmax. You can easilly make it 4wd, just use a stock dmax xfer case. How much power are you looking to make? That will probably determine what trans you will need to use. Even a built 4L80 will not hold up to 'extreme' power from a diesel. I dont know what the exact limit of a built one is though. Allison is probably the least desireable option, only because you would need to put a body lift on the Denali. I dont know if thats something you want to mess around with or not. Maybe even run a built billet dodge trans...

As for engines, I would choose an 03-04 LB7, or 04-05 LLY. Easiest to integrate. If you wanted to do an LBZ you would have to change the instrument cluster, install and wire the different shifter (that has the tap-shift tiptronic buttons on it), and run some extra wires for the high speed GMLAN data bus that the LBZ requires. Plus with an LLY or LB7 you have the option of making a custom 5-position switchable on the fly tune with EFILive. LBZ can be tuned with EFILive, but there is no switchable tune option availible.

Otherwise everything should be pretty "bolt up". As you probably know, the silverado's, sierras, denali's, tahoes, subrubans, escalades are all built on the same GMT-800 series platform. Pretty much all body panels, wiring harnesses, mounting points for radiators, trans coolers, etc are all the same so its not like you will have to deal with headaches of "shoehorning" things in or complicated custom fab stuff. The main dmax wiring harness should literally be plug and play with the rest of the vehicle, etc...

It seems like it would be a big headache doing this kind of swap, but GM is pretty good about commonizing things and making parts easilly interchangable between vehicles of the same base platform.

let me know if you have any other questions, Ill try to help out where I can.

ben
Old 02-21-2008, 11:20 AM

Stock power of a Dmax would be fine for me. My wife isn't really a hot rodder, so I don't need to boost the power. I just want it to be diesel powered.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:01 PM

i see nightmares with electrical.

there are alot of modules on that truck.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by dj_souvlaki
i see nightmares with electrical.

there are alot of modules on that truck.
I hear ya there, but I am sure I could figure all that out before it became a nightmare.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:09 PM

I know there is actually a small company out of CO doing these conversions. They were selling one on ebay not that long ago and I posted the link on here.

Someone else posted the link to the site: http://www.duramaxsuburban.com/Duram...rban/Home.html
Old 02-21-2008, 09:15 PM

Here it is for sale:http://www.blwilliamsllc.com/inventory/39.html

I dont know if its worth 79K though. Brand new SLT suburban loaded out is under 50K.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:35 PM

I emailed them at DieselSuburban.com. It would be 55K to convert it to a diesel. They have to put on a 3/4 ton chassis. I guess I won't be doing this.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by TravisDj
I emailed them at DieselSuburban.com. It would be 55K to convert it to a diesel. They have to put on a 3/4 ton chassis. I guess I won't be doing this.
You have a 1500 chassis? Yah, that isnt going to cut it. But 55K to convert is pretty high, even for a sweet job like they do. But then I have never done it so I guess I really couldnt say.

I can say maybe its time for me to take diesel conversions up as a hobby and sell them if that is what they are charging!
Old 02-22-2008, 08:41 AM

How much heavier is a Dmax than the 6L that is in the truck now?

Quick Reply: 2003 Yukon XL Denali Diesel Swap