Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

1967 jeep RV..IC or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1967 jeep RV..IC or not?

This is my partial resto/partial modernization project. 1967 Kaiser (jeep) J-3000 RV. It is a true class C motorhome. I am in the early tear down process and my goal is to get it to the frame by the first of the year.

I was pondering a 4BT but based on checking out the 4BT swap site and getting some advice there everyone recommended I go ahead and put in a 6BT.

So in the not too distant future I will need to get another dodge to pilfer the entire engine and drivetrain from.

BUT...I am wanting to know if I will need an intercooler or not?

I know there a a fair few folks out there putting the 6BT's in wagoneers etc...but these rigs that jeep called 'full size' while bigger than compact and mid-size trucks are still smaller than a true full size dodge/ford/chebbie. So space is at a premium. I am figuring the rig will weigh in at around 6500# since a stock J-truck is around 4K with the V-8 and 132" wheelbase. This has a 165" WB and the camper. Once gear, people, etc are added in will be closer to 8500 +- (I plan on having it be capable of 10K GVW) and with the camper section (which will be replaced with a box truck box ...u-haul or otherwise) will not be aerodynamic. It will also tow 5-7K probably 50% of the time and we plan to travel around the US so we won't just be down here in the FL flats.

I'd love to find a 4wd 5 spd '89-93 and put in everything...axles, suspension , engine, trans, t-case. I know you can put a cooler in a truck that doesn't have one but I am wondering if for simplicity's sake do I really need one? I don't plan to hotrod the motor at all..other than maybe a fuel plate (mild) and 3K GSK it will remain stock.

Any way...here is what she looks like now (sad I know) and then there is a pic of what it would have looked like new. Supposedly this one is a true one off...ordered by a jeep dealer and was raffled off at a dealer employee event. Most of these were camper specials where it was a truck with a bed and a slide in type camper...this is a true calss c and you can go right from the cab into the camper without exiting the rig. I got it for free and it has a solid frame and I already have a good workable cab and front clip. A 14' u-haul box will fit **** near perfectly other than modifying the mounting points. I plan to make it a fully functional C&C first and then get the camper section put on a built.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Pushing that brick, I would want an intercooler.

00 PAU
Sent from my Paranoid Android HD2 using Tapatalk 2.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:45 AM

Definitely use an I/c. I have done itin 2 conversions and it's not as hard as it looks. In my '99 express van it even fit with a/c. Just use the stock radiator and I/C from the donor vehicle and if you can afford it upgrade the I/C piping to 3" while you're at it and it will perform much better. I think once you get the engine in the bay you'll find there is enough room. Just keep it all the way to the firewall, and make sure you sit it low enough before you fab your mounts.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:57 AM

That's kinda of what I was thinking I just wasn't sure. I know this thing will be negative in the aerodynamics dept especially once it sits where I want it to for ride height.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I would use a "94-'98 for a donor. Better injection pump(more power) and better tranny with a locking overdrive(better fuel economy).