Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

Why Race??

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryclef331
I'll run your car....with my slow mustang.

Me likey me likey ,just pulling your leg What ya got in it??
Old 05-29-2007, 09:11 PM

Most of you would agree that getting a diesel truck to got low 13 is pretty easy. Right and ranther cheap too. So why would poeple a call an import- ricers or junk when it takes more effort from them to get their cars just as fast. esp out of a motor sometimes 1/3 the size of a 5.9L cummins with half the power.
you guys have to understand that you can make just about anything fast that has a turbo. just matters how much boost your motor can handle and if you can get the fual behind it.

And another thing that really gets me how alot of guys say its so called cheaper to make a diesel fast compaired to a gas motor? Which is just stupid because you paid an extra $5,500 just to get a stock 5.9L Cummins in your truck, then you dropped another 2-3- or 4 grand to get it to run mid 12

So you mean to say you think a 5.7L HEMI with Almost $10,000 in work done to it couldn't run mid 12. BS. Alot of guys forget they paid extrz for the motor.

I'm not bashing anyone I'm just don't see where alot of guys come from with their comments.

For those of you who are have fast trucks that street race plaese understand part of going fast is slowing down and these trucks that are crazy fast don't stop like a crazy fast car. Be safe.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by BLACKBIRD8200
Most of you would agree that getting a diesel truck to got low 13 is pretty easy. Right and ranther cheap too.
I think you just answered your original question.

Originally Posted by BLACKBIRD8200
you guys have to understand that you can make just about anything fast that has a turbo. just matters how much boost your motor can handle and if you can get the fual behind it.
You can make any vehicle fast (N/A or power adder) if you have enough $$$, besides what other vehicle can you transport 6 people, drive year around, go off road, plow snow, tow 15,000lbs, haul 2500lbs of whatever, run 13's, get 20mpg, and usually lasts 300k miles or more?? Most of us don't build our trucks for the sole purpose to race as opposed to ricers.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:48 PM
zak

Yeah you could get a 5.7 hemi in a truck to run 12's but what kind of mileage would it get? probably not much more than 10-11 and you would have a truck that probably worthless at pulling a trailer also. I have spent about $500on performance parts on my truck and ran a 13.9 which isnt bad for a 8000lb truck that gets over 20mpg and could pull edit near anything with your whole family inside for 400000 miles. Then I can go to the sled pulls and pull a 45000lb sled? can you do that with you camaro? i dont think so. I only paid about 1500 more for my truck than what a half ton hemi sells for around here and got a edit of lot better truck and i get double the mileage.

What i consider a ricer is a kid with a bone stock civic or similar car with a fart pipe exhaust and a park bench for a spoilier, with all kinds of sticker on
it with chinese lettering and they think there 19 sec is faster than edit, then when you hand them there edit in 8000lb truck they flip you off and do a ricer fly by. If somebody has a import in the 13's the would know what they are doing deserve respect for that.

It just kind of struck a nerve that you compare people that mod diesel to ricers in there uncle ben's specal
Old 05-30-2007, 07:57 PM

The initial cost is nothing but an investment.. You not only save on fuel mileage, you get much more for your trade with the diesel.. It really makes no sense not to spend the extra money when you think about the future returns.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zak
What i consider a ricer is a kid with a bone stock civic or similar car with a fart pipe exhaust and a park bench for a spoilier, with all kinds of sticker on
it with chinese lettering and they think there 19 sec is faster than edit, then when you hand them there edit in 8000lb truck they flip you off and do a ricer fly by. If somebody has a import in the 13's the would know what they are doing deserve respect for that.
Bingo. There's a difference between a ricer and an import. A ricer is what is described as above. A cocky, arrogant, no taste idiot who goes around talking trash and driving reckless and stupid because he thinks his car is fast. An import is somebody who has spent the money to get their car fast and knows it's fast and doesn't try to show it off or talk it up or anything. I build my truck to go fast because it's fun and different. Not to mention I love beating up on people who think it's slow. And like everyone else said, my truck weighs close to 8000lbs, has a full sound system, tool box, 35's, front and rear replacements, is lifted, knocks down 18mpg, can haul 4 or 5 people, a fourwheeler in the bed, and a trailer on the bumper, and still run fast down the 1/4. Show me any ricer/import/camaro/mustang/vette/etc that can do that and I'll shut up but until then I'm gonna mod my truck and I'm going to continue to beat up on ricers/imports/camaros/mustangs. A lot of us don't use our trucks solely to race. We use them as daily drivers, towing machines, plow trucks, etc. So the fact we can go and work them hard all day and then go and run fast down the drag strip at night is pretty cool. Have you ever ridden in a 12sec or 13 sec diesel truck? It's completely different than riding in a 12 or 13 sec car. A ton more fun and the looks on people's faces is priceless. I'd much rather go and run 12's or 11's in a diesel than 12's or 11's in a gasser. It's been done to much in a gasser. It ain't been done that often in a diesel and that's what makes it cool and fun.

By the way, haven't you and I gotten into this arguement before?
Old 06-01-2007, 06:27 AM
Chapter President

Blue, I was thinking the same thing. I've heard all of this before from KIT, I mean Blackbird.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On the topic of the original post, I agree with you 100%. I am SOO sick and tired of every jack leg good 'ol boy, wanting to race me at every stop light I come to. It is even worse than the street bike community, at least 1/2 the time there you will pull up beside someone who gives you the 'nice bike' nod.

[onsoapbox]I hate to see trucks, ricers, imports, bikes, whatever street race. Mostly because it is done by the inexperienced driver, or rider, who wants to see how fast he/she can go in a straight line, in which very little skill is normally required, until something goes wrong, then they are left in a situation they are not equipped to handle. It is the most infuriating when they walk away unharmed, but an innocent victim is left with a banged up vehicle, injured, or worse. There are tons of tracks out there, pay your $10 bucks and race all night (ok so bike track time is a bit more, but soo worth it). And best of all your opponent KNOWS that there is a race, I mean who wants to jump all over some old farmer pulling out from a stoplight, that has no clue you are racing, but I guess you can brag at the Starbucks later on. I suspect with the new popularity of diesels, this street racing fad is made up mostly of diesel noobs. Hopefully it will go the way of most fads and leave as quickly as it has arrived.[offsoapbox]
Old 06-01-2007, 08:38 AM
Banned

Speaking of diesel fads, the highschooler's these days are annoying with their trucks. All 2wd, all with big mudders on the rear and skinny street tires up front, all with stock straight pipe with like a 6" tip on it, and all of them think they are the fastest thing out there and will screw with you every chance they get. I would consider them a ricer. A ricer by definition is an annoyance.

A good friend of mine once told me and I agree with him is that you can always tell the people who have power and know it and have respect. They drive very sane and sensible and won't go out looking for races because they know they don't have to prove that their vehicle is fast to anyone. The people who think they are fast and who think they have power have no respect for anybody and will race anyone and anything and cause a danger to themselves and the general public just to try and prove how truly slow they are.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Speaking of diesel fads, the highschooler's these days are annoying with their trucks. All 2wd, all with big mudders on the rear and skinny street tires up front, all with stock straight pipe with like a 6" tip on it, and all of them think they are the fastest thing out there and will screw with you every chance they get. I would consider them a ricer. A ricer by definition is an annoyance.

A good friend of mine once told me and I agree with him is that you can always tell the people who have power and know it and have respect. They drive very sane and sensible and won't go out looking for races because they know they don't have to prove that their vehicle is fast to anyone. The people who think they are fast and who think they have power have no respect for anybody and will race anyone and anything and cause a danger to themselves and the general public just to try and prove how truly slow they are.
BINGO, The track is only $10.00. That's alot cheaper than a ticket or a wrecked truck. And I have to be in 4X4 to launch and hook anyway.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigBlue

Well said BigBlue. You summed up the things I meant to say...and it sounds much better than what I posted, guess I am just to ruff around the edges.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Chapter President

That's funny! I've noticed a bunch of young boys around here with old Powerstrokes with the staight pipes hotrodding around lately. The trickle down is in full effect.

I was pulling out of a parking lot when a kid decided he was going to show me some smoke. He blew a small cloud on me as he drove by, with his buddy and girlfriend looking out the back glass. I just let it go, that area of town has real tight traffic lanes. I went about my business and started to head back home. As luck would have it, while sitting at the light waiting to get on to the on-ramp I noticed the same truck in my rearview. So, the TST went up to 6 and day turned to night. I got out of the pedal and gently eased into traffic, never breaking the speed limit. The funny thing about it was, when the kid passed me in the left lane he wouldn't even look at me.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Banned

MIke, I am giving 2 thumbs up for that one! Way up!
dont you love justice?
Old 06-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Chapter President

Dodgezilla04, Justice is right, but I kind of looked at it as fate. I let it go after he puffed smoke on me, but for him to be right behind me on the same day was too good to pass on. The Diesel God "Centanous" was yelling from the his lofty soot cloud; shower the young one with smoke and thunder. Who am I to argue with a mythical God, right?

I'm sure I'll see him again someday and I'll shoot the bull with him. It was all in good fun.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mike D
Blue, I was thinking the same thing. I've heard all of this before from KIT, I mean Blackbird.
Where do you come off saying that? My T/A is 2000 not a 82-93.

I simply compared most diesel owners that mod their trucks to most import owners that mod their cars. But yet most Diesel truck owners feel they are better because they can haul/tow more and get good mileage who gives a edited by admin if you can tow/haul more thats not what the thread was about. It was about understanding your in the same catagory of modding something that wasn't intended to be made fast.

Last edited by John_P; 06-04-2007 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Personal attacks/Childish Banter

Quick Reply: Why Race??