Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

traction bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clc900
I have this type of traction bar in my 73 bronco. I have been very happy with it. I have had better luck with the trac bar above the shackle rather than below it. I think it depends on how your axle articulates up and down and how the axle moves front and back in relation to that. The important thing is the trac bar has to travel in the same path as the axle and the leaf springs. If it doesnt it will bind and limit travel. I really like this setup in an offroad truck where articulation and keeping all four wheels on the ground dtermines if you make your next obstacle or not. I think you still give up some axle control in turn for more articulation. For a puller articulation is useless. I dont want my axle to move at all so all the force is applied to the ground. I want something that when its loaded it is locked into place.

I am curious about when you spun out because the bump stops bottomed out. Could you explain a little more detail please.
Yeah, no problem. I have spun out a few times because of the bump stops. Both times that I recall it was pulling great and once the bump stops touched it started to spin out (to much power right to the ground...I don't know) the other than those two times it pulled okay but I have also broke stuff because of them. I think once they make contact ALOT more power actually makes it to the ground. The one time I broke the ring gear in the back of the Chevy gasser and it happend we figured within a foot or two of the bump stops making contact.

Ryan
Old 01-12-2006, 07:16 AM

What type of traction bar setup were you running?? How much suspension travel before the stops bottomed out??
Old 01-12-2006, 11:42 AM

Are y'all talking about 2 things different here? Talking about spinning out. Pullers want wheel speed. I've been reading, but got lost.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pulling and off-roading will also require 2 entirely different set-ups. The bump stops for pulling are a neccesity if you want parts to stay together and you want them at the min. amount as possible to prevent the truck from squating pulling. Fully blocked is the best, but 1" is acceptable . TT, you're also right in that without spinning (wheel speed) during pulling you will just end up with a stalled truck or something else broken (Not a good thing!).
Old 01-12-2006, 01:04 PM

Madgoat, I totally agree that offroad and pulling requires 2 diffrent setups. Especially when talking about the bumpstops.

Ryan, I am curious how much travel you have with your bumpstops in your pulling truck?? I would think as soon as the weight of the sled is put on the truck (right off the line) the bumpstops would be bottomed out. I cant see how towards the end of your pull the bumpstops bottom out and cause a spin out. ????
Old 01-12-2006, 01:18 PM

IC now. The thread got raped.