Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

To Pull or not to Pull ?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 08:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To Pull or not to Pull ?????

There is a pull next Monday (25 July) for the Monroe County fair in Waterloo IL and I really THINK I'd like to see what my truck could do (see signature). I've never pulled before and could use some advise if I decide to do this.

From what I've read, I'd start in 4 wheel low and drive (auto with stock tranny). My major concern and fear is breaking something and this costing a ton of money. Also, is there any special hitch or requirements for this type of event (4x4 street trucks)? Suggestions and tips are welcome. Feel free to advise me not to do this (risk may be too great without any tranny mods) as well as I'm on the fence with this decision - plus haven't even mentioned to the wife. She LOVES the truck as much as I do.....

I'm also curious if anyone from this forum is planning on attending this event. Here is the link to the schedule of events for the fair.

http://www.monroecounty-fair.org/

Thanks
Old 07-18-2005, 03:30 PM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can do it. BUT.... quit the SECOND it starts bouncing (if it does). Usually it may bounce right at the end when the sled is ready to stop you. Lift the INSTANT it starts bouncing. Other than that, you shouldnt break anything.. THe bouncing is murder though....

I had a blast pulling with my truck. It didnt bounce, but I had my foot a 1/8" from the clutch pedal ready to bail if it did.

There is a height restriction on the hitch point. Use a straight receiver and with your stock hitch you will be below the limit. Get a really big clevis (4" or 5") and remove the ball and put it in the hole for the ball. Thats all I did.

KP
Old 07-18-2005, 06:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
YES! I am attending that pull! I will be there! I considered pulling too, but Im not sure. Is there an entrance fee? Due date for the entrance? I was wondering how many guys would be there with big stuff, etc to beat us out. I'll keep my eyes open for your truck...
Old 07-18-2005, 08:46 PM

When In Doubt, Pull It Out Seen that on back of a pulling truck, that is what pretty much convinced me to start pulling.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:48 PM

Old 07-19-2005, 07:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I brought up the idea to the wife and she was . She didn't want to take a chance of it breaking which was always in the back of my mind. So, unless I get the other five numbers (I can always seem to get one ) in the lottery, I'm there . I want to take her to see this pull so maybe in the future we can do this. I'd imagine if we go, we'll be on the Harley.

MassyeyMan - the entry fee is $20. As far as the due date, it is the day of the pull - Monday, July 25. The registration and truck inspection is from 4:30 to 6 pm and the pull starts at 7. I think you're right about the big stuff though. In the diesel class it says, "The truck, motor and drive train must appear stock" and "Diesels may only have a single turbocharger". As far as I can tell, there is a 60 truck maximum and three classes: 1/2 ton 6000lb, 3/4 and 1 ton gas 7500 lb, and Diesel 8000 lb. It's 100% payback.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:55 AM

I knew it would be a big pull. Im sure there are alot of guys there that would put me to shame. Perhaps I'll wait for Freeburgs to come around. I know I have a better chance there. Are you going to any more tractor pulls around? We have about 6 we are going to. There is one tonight at Carlylye at 7 which is ITPA. Then 7/21/05 - at Carlyle, which is a truck pull at 7. I have about 5 more im going to that are close. PM if you are interested...
Old 07-19-2005, 09:40 PM

Go for it i pulled for the first time last week truck is stock cept for 60 hp box , i took 2nd in the pull off with bald tires i was stocked !!!! truck that beat me has over 500 hp and pulls all the time and im doing it again for 354 gears 1st/H range worked best for me 3rd low i started smelling clutch