Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

Can I pull it (drw v-10)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 03:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are you guys kidding me, i pulled a v10 ext cab with my 96 2500 and it only had a #6 plate. we pulled in the dirt and both of us just spun, then we took it to the street and i didn't even know he was behind me except for the glare of his brake lights in my rear view. it wont even be close
Old 08-10-2005, 07:47 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by blackdiesel02
ive got a buddy with the same set up as mine and he can get out and smoke the tires compleatly off of his truck from a stand still with out powerbraking on a 3/4 ton. Now if id try that on my truck id smoke the clutch compleatly out of it or shell out every u joint on the truck. and not even bark the tires.
Something is wrong if you can't bust the rears loose!! If my Comp is on 5x5, I have no trouble peelin' out on pavement with a hard 2nd gear launch and I don't even have big injectors like you. My 2500 hooks up much better and will launch MUCH harder and clearly takes more power to bust the rears free.....but it does do better burn outs since it has so much more power. With the dually you are cutting the contact pressure in half because you doubled the area. Sure, the dually looks intimidating with the 4 rears but don't be fooled - the weight will be much more important in the tug o' war........it is still anyones pull, IMO.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Bobcat698
RustyJC, here is a better explanation:

If you're both in 2wd the single wheel truck will get more traction on pavement due to its higher pounds per square inch of weight pushing down on the pavement...
With a dually the load is more evenly placed and has less weight on each contact patch of rubber on the ground that will allow them to spin more easily...
I understand your point completely. If that's true, then why doesn't a top fueler run skinny tires to "get more traction"?

On pavement, the rubber conforms to the aggregate irregularities in the asphalt, making the tire-to-pavement connection more similar to a rack (road) and pinion (tire) gear arrangement than the classical physics coefficient-of-friction model. In this case, the shear strength of the rubber and the amount of rubber in contact with the asphalt (i.e., more gear teeth) determine traction. That's why race cars use wide tires/slicks - to get MORE rubber in contact with the road.

Rusty
Old 08-10-2005, 08:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Be sneaky, make sure your hitch is higher than his, you will pull his rearend up and he will pull yours down-exerting more downforce on your tires.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:57 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

I do have the anti spin diff, and he does as well. I have driven his truck and pulled with it several times and you can really feel a difference in power between the two. The Cummins has twice the power...
Old 08-10-2005, 11:40 AM
Chapter President

Originally posted by RustyJC
I understand your point completely. If that's true, then why doesn't a top fueler run skinny tires to "get more traction"?

On pavement, the rubber conforms to the aggregate irregularities in the asphalt, making the tire-to-pavement connection more similar to a rack (road) and pinion (tire) gear arrangement than the classical physics coefficient-of-friction model. In this case, the shear strength of the rubber and the amount of rubber in contact with the asphalt (i.e., more gear teeth) determine traction. That's why race cars use wide tires/slicks - to get MORE rubber in contact with the road.

Rusty
You hit it on the head with the coefficient of friction......since it is ultimately the friction that determines traction. Drag slicks run incredibly soft rubber compounds that create the required friction instead of relying on contact pressure. On a dually, the rubber compound isn't anywhere near soft enough to generate the same coefficient of friction the the single wheel truck achieves by higher contact pressure.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by CTD NUT
You hit it on the head with the coefficient of friction......since it is ultimately the friction that determines traction.
Not really. If you re-read my prior post, the conformance of the rubber around the aggregate (gravel) and other irregularities in the asphalt creates a system that behaves more like a geared model than a static or sliding coefficient of friction model. If tire traction were governed by the coefficient of friction, a race car could never pull over 1.0G in acceleration, deceleration or cornering, but they do this routinely. This is only possible because there's a gear-type mechanical "lock" between the tires and road irregularities.
Drag slicks run incredibly soft rubber compounds that create the required friction instead of relying on contact pressure. On a dually, the rubber compound isn't anywhere near soft enough to generate the same coefficient of friction the the single wheel truck achieves by higher contact pressure.
The soft compounds better conform to the irregularities in the pavement and, thus, make a more efficient "geartrain" through which forces are transmitted. As I said above, if it were strictly a coefficient of friction model, 1.0G is the maximum force a tire could transmit, since 1.0G is the static vertical force imposed on the vehicle due to gravity and transmitted to the ground through the tires. In a gear type model, the limiting factor is (1.) the amount of force each gear tooth (tire conformity) can transmit before shearing and (2.) the number of gear teeth involved in the power transmission (bigger, softer tires).

Rusty
Old 08-10-2005, 12:04 PM

All fine and well but what it really amounts to is BLAH BLAH BLAH. Just hook the dang thing up and give it a whurl! If you lose then you know you got same more work to do.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:05 PM
Registered

Something is wrong if you can't bust the rears loose!! If my Comp is on 5x5, I have no trouble peelin' out on pavement with a hard 2nd gear launch and I don't even have big injectors like you. My 2500 hooks up much better and will launch MUCH harder and clearly takes more power to bust the rears free.....but it does do better burn outs since it has so much more power. With the dually you are cutting the contact pressure in half because you doubled the area. Sure, the dually looks intimidating with the 4 rears but don't be fooled - the weight will be much more important in the tug o' war........it is still anyones pull, IMO.
sorry, but my dually just wont do it. And dad has a truck just exactly like mine and his wont do that either. Now if i went out and chaned it down and blocked the front tires and had a dd clutch and bullet proof drive train, if i could get em spinning, i could roast em off of there. but just tryin to go out and lay a nice set of black marks, it aint gunna happen.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by CSAGrey1
All fine and well but what it really amounts to is BLAH BLAH BLAH.
Excuse me. I'll not bother anyone else with my windbag posts. Go hitch it up and get it on.

Rusty
Old 08-10-2005, 12:48 PM
Chapter President

You can continue to bother me. I find your posts interesting and educational.....Although I did ok in physics classes, I have not retained as much information as I would have liked. Let them hitch up and pull their trucks apart.....if that is how they have fun, so be it, but I hope you still have some air left in your windbag for those of us who are interested!
Old 08-10-2005, 01:01 PM
Chapter President

Originally posted by blackdiesel02
sorry, but my dually just wont do it. And dad has a truck just exactly like mine and his wont do that either. Now if i went out and chaned it down and blocked the front tires and had a dd clutch and bullet proof drive train, if i could get em spinning, i could roast em off of there. but just tryin to go out and lay a nice set of black marks, it aint gunna happen.
Well, it don't get much more heavy duty than a D80, 1410 u-joints and a NV5600.....that is a drivetrain with a lot of beef!.....Let 'er rip!!
Old 08-10-2005, 03:18 PM
Registered

Well, it don't get much more heavy duty than a D80, 1410 u-joints and a NV5600.....that is a drivetrain with a lot of beef!.....Let 'er rip!!
lemmie find some chains and some blocks!
Old 08-10-2005, 03:19 PM
Registered

Originally posted by RustyJC
Excuse me. I'll not bother anyone else with my windbag posts. Go hitch it up and get it on.

Rusty
im gunna haveta agree. (with the hitch it up and get it on part) catch it on video!!
Old 08-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Registered

Well did you ever hook em up??

Quick Reply: Can I pull it (drw v-10)