12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Cable Corrosion/new battery/terminal config?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cable Corrosion/new battery/terminal config?

My Positive cable keeps corroding at the post. I need a total replacement, and I need a way to get rid of the octopus of wires connected to the little factory terminal that seem to be adding up over time. Where can I get a good Cable harness and terminals and how do I stop the corrosion?
Old 08-20-2009, 11:45 AM

Just pour a little coca cola on it regularly.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:52 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
It usually depends on what brand of battery you are using. For example, the Mopar replacement batteries are nasty leaky sweaty things that constantly corrode the connections and hold-downs. There are other brands, like NAPA, that don't seem to leak and cause corrosion nearly as much. If you want to eliminate the problem altogether, you can go with an AGM battery like an Optima. Many on here swear by them.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:29 PM

Autolite, platinum. You know how it goes, battery dies, you need replacement batteries fast so you go to the nearest store so you can get on the road. I might switch to optima next time round though.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:04 PM

AGM batteries pretty much eliminated my corrosion problems.

Have a look at www.custombatterycables.com - they have everything you need to replace your cable (they will even make it for you).
Old 08-20-2009, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With all the problems we have with our trucks and electrical system, you might want to check terminal voltage at the battery. You also might also want to keep close tabs on the water usage of the battery. If you have to replace water often than is generally a vindication of lower charging ritual cause corrosion.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Santaclaus
With all the problems we have with our trucks and electrical system, you might want to check terminal voltage at the battery. You also might also want to keep close tabs on the water usage of the battery. If you have to replace water often than is generally a vindication of lower charging ritual cause corrosion.
Crazy, 195k (130 mine) and I've never had an electrical issue since I disconnected the ABS. Just a little corrosion on the terminals. My aftermarket HID lights keep driving me nuts, but that's all I've ever had.

Dr. Fricking evil: Those cables are not up for sale at this time, he says he can't fulfill any more orders this year. Maybe I'll try again next year, after all they still work fine, just getting ugly. I'll check the water, once I topped em off, but didn't need to, but I'll keep my eye out.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by paidoffpit
Dr. Fricking evil: Those cables are not up for sale at this time, he says he can't fulfill any more orders this year. Maybe I'll try again next year, after all they still work fine, just getting ugly. I'll check the water, once I topped em off, but didn't need to, but I'll keep my eye out.
If thats the case go to a tool rental place (preferably electrical) and rent a large T&B stake-on crimper. All the info is on that site (including the proper length of cables), get some welding cable and make some new battery cable yourself. Thats what I did.

Name:  100_0737.jpg
Views: 2584
Size:  103.2 KB