24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Blue Chip question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue Chip question

It's about to be VP44 time again, the dreaded heat soak is about to kill another computer. I've been looking at Blue Chip's site and was looking for opinions. The pump with zero heat cycles for 1850 or the one with a rebuilt computer that claims better mileage/horsepower for 1875? What say the experts? It's the truck in my sig, I read the other similar thread here, but didn't want to hijack it.
THanks.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:10 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
WOW..... VP's are getting expensive. Gotta love this booming economy were everyone is trying to raise their prices to keep from going under. Pretty soon they're going to have a Hecho en China sticker on them just like everything else.

I dont really know what to say since I never knew computers were an option. Is this something new? My kneejerk reaction is to get the new computer but then again I have to wonder about the rebuilt computer and does it contain lead free solder like the new one? If so then forget it, I'd stay with new since the only real problem with the computers is the lead free solder and what the hot cycles do to that solder. If they were finally wise enough to use good quality solder then I would think finally someone fixed the only problem out of the consumers control. Which one has the better warranty?

I noticed you dont have a good fuel pump either. Is there a reason? Because if you continue to use the OEM lift pump, you'll be asking this again.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the 1875 pump your talking about is there special x pump and as far as I know the computer is new also. I have two of blue chips pumps 1 is a special X and it does get about 2-3 mpg more then the old pump. we have almose 200k miles on one and 160k on the other, never a problem. But like I said I am purdy sure his pumps have NEW computers in them. give them a call they will answer all your questions, good people to deal with.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:48 PM

I should have mentioned that too. Blue Chip Diesel is a great company to work with and Chip is awesome. Give Chip a call and I'm sure he'll set you straight. My bad for jumping to conclusions.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:46 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
When I bought my X pump from him a couple of years ago, he stated that all his pumps use NEW circuit boards.
Great guy to chat with.....very knowledgable, and friendly.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:39 AM

Thanks guys.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All pumps for the last many years use the new board.
Any pump from an authorized Bosch rebuilder will have the latest board. And I think that the $1.8k is the BlueChip price. Theirs always were twice as expensive, which made me turn away from them. Not saying they are bad - probably excellent but you are shelling out x2 in the price. Google around - a rebuilt pump with a warranty can be had for $975, like in the good old days when I bought mine (not a blue chip still running fine 6 years later).
Old 07-29-2012, 03:11 PM

What i understand is when you buy the bluechip pump you get a new circuitboard computer. With other rebuilders if the board was good when the pump went bad, the pump is rebuilt and sent out with the old computer board as long as it has the correct updates.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't believe this is the case. 5 years ago there were several extensive threads on this and what I recall from those, all Bosch-certified rebuildrers install a kit in refurb pumps that includes a new, last generation board. The old boards that were heat cycled are not allowed to remain in certified pumps.
Clearly if a shortcut corner shop rebuilds them, they won't do that.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there are time I wish some parts were easy to get for these pump..
mine has the symptom of long cranking when hot..runs fine after starting and starting cold..the diaphram in the pump...or computer?
I'm temped to mount a peliter heat pump to the computer..
if i had the time..resolder the joints the silver solder..less heat problems
-dkenny
Old 07-30-2012, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by dkenny
there are time I wish some parts were easy to get for these pump..
mine has the symptom of long cranking when hot..runs fine after starting and starting cold..the diaphram in the pump...or computer?
I'm temped to mount a peliter heat pump to the computer..
if i had the time..resolder the joints the silver solder..less heat problems
-dkenny
I dont want to hijack this thread but it sounds like you're having a problem with hard hot starts because of your Airdog. If you want some help with this issue, send me a PM and I'd be happy to walk you though ways to diagnosis the problem and how its fixed.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:32 PM

the air dog runs fine..no problems there..I have worked though some problems..thanks for the offer.. the hard starting on only when hot..
cold or after a long sit time no problem..its not pressure..

the only thing I haven't tried is disabling the pump while cranking when hot!
its possible this is the problem.. let hope

-dkenny
Old 07-30-2012, 11:55 PM

You're right, the Airdog "is" working fine. But thats not the problem. Its the aggressiveness of the Airdog and how your VP is reacting to the engine cranking fuel pressure. If unplugging your Airdog's inline fuse allows for normal starting when experiencing the hot start issue, then you need a delay relay. Also, the diaphragm is not cracked otherwise your truck would no longer be running. If pulling the inline fuse doesn't help starting then your FPCM is failing from internal shorting. Knowing more details would help me help you but no matter.....Ya might want to try that fuse trick soon.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:21 PM

I might try that tomorrow..It would be nice to know that its not the VP..
a relay is much easier to deal with..

thanks for the tip

-dkenny
Old 08-01-2012, 12:40 AM

If pulling the fuse works then here's the relay you'll need.