Big Rigs Talk about other Cummins powered vehicles here. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even have to be Cummins, but it will be diesel! :)

trailer tailight wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trailer tailight wiring

How do? can anybody tell me if i can wire all 4 of my 3 wire tailights to function all 4 brake 2 left turn 2 rt turn and 4 tailights? i know yellow is left turn/hazzard green is rt turn /hazzardand brown tailights black clearance sidemarker but where does the red stoplight wire get connected? i am obviously missing something. Help!

sorry this is a Freuhof trailer and a Kenworth tractor 7 wire plug no antilock
Old 03-04-2010, 11:43 PM

You can do anything you put your mind to. In this case though, you will have to redo some wiring on the tractor or else you will get a back feed in the turn signals when you hit the brake. In other words your amber signals on the tractor will light when you hit the brakes. Why do you want 4 brake lights/2turn signals per side anyway?
Old 03-05-2010, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DmaxEter
... you will have to redo some wiring on the tractor or else you will get a back feed in the turn signals when you hit the brake.
I hope someone knows the answer to this as I've wondered how the lights are separated out. There usually aren't enough wires in a trailer plug assembly to run separate stop and turn lights either.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:58 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You will need to put a module in between the trailer and tractor to convert the separate turn and brake into a single source.

White- ground
Black- secondary marker
Brown- primary marker
Red- solitary brake
Yellow- solitary left turn
Green- solitary right turn
Blue- optional, commonly used as a reverse light feed, 12v constant power feed, or what ever else you would want.

I personally would not recommend doing what you want to do, unless you own the tractor and trailer.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:10 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chaikwa
I hope someone knows the answer to this as I've wondered how the lights are separated out. There usually aren't enough wires in a trailer plug assembly to run separate stop and turn lights either.
It depends on the class of the vehicle. Any class 8 tractor has a separate turn signal circuit. The brake wiring is run directly from the brake switch circuit. You can not just wire them together with out melting it all down. The only exception to this were the Ford class 8's. The 2 that we have were constantly melting flashers and wiring so I tore them apart and eliminated the dual flashing. No issues since.

All class 8 trucks have independent signals, brake lights.

Your International is a different animal all together. It is easier to tie things in after the cab, however it changes in the cab.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:15 AM

Is that DOT approved? I was thinkin you had to have em seperate? And yeah hvytrkmech, I've dealt with a few of those OTR Fords and lighting problems, I'd love to meet the guy who came up with that wiring idea
Old 03-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
Your International is a different animal all together. It is easier to tie things in after the cab, however it changes in the cab.
Yeah, I noticed that when I put in the brake controller. I forget what the oddity was, but I seem to remember there were 2 stop light switches on the brake pedal and both of them flashed when one or the other directional signals were activated. Or maybe one of them went dead when when a directional was activated. Something like that. I ended up putting in a separate brake light switch activated by air pressure off the pedal to run the electric brake controller because I never did figure out what the deal with the stop light switches on the pedal were.