Big Rigs Talk about other Cummins powered vehicles here. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even have to be Cummins, but it will be diesel! :)

Fuel information please

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel information please

I'm working on a red engine Cummins--after it is shut down for several hours, it won't start. It will start after injecting ether a couple of times, then runs good. Let it sit for an hour, and it will restart--a little longer--no start.
I took it to a garage that does major work for us--at first they said it was the pick-up pump fuse (which I found no pump fuse listed in the fuse/relay schematic). Took it back to the yard--the next morning--no start.
I'm thinking now maybe it's the fuel shut off not opening until it's jarred by cranking with ether.
It's back at the garage, but don't know if they've found anything yet.
Thanks for any information.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:20 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
if it is an isx, and you aren't hearing the lift pump run when you turn the key, then you either have an electrical problem, or a bad lift pump.

When you turn the key to the run position, you should hear the abs solenoids do a self test, and you should also hear the lift pump whirring away, almost a loud buzzing noise. This pump is located on the left side of the engine, above and to the rear of the fuel filter boss. Usually silver in colour.

If we had an idea what year of engine, and brand of truck, could probably help a lot more.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:18 PM

I can hear the fuel pump run. I will get the year model info.
Thanks.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:55 PM

ok got it back today and they said it was the check valve--hmm. Anyway, its a 2006 International with a Cummins number 9400 isoa 6x4. It starts like it should after sitting a while, which it didn't before.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:49 PM

the check valve makes perfect sense then. It was allowing fuel to drain back to tank rather than holding prime.

Its a simple fix, and the easy way to tell if there are problems, is listen to the lift pump when you turn the key on. If it whizzes away merrily for a while, then sounds like its loading up, you are losing prime.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:45 AM

well, here we go again--got called last nite--driver said it's doing same as before. This engines fuel pump is located more to the back, with the filter boss on a bracket jutting out from the firewall. I can hear the pick up pump run--and its making me think about the fuel shut off not opening--just wonder where it would be.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:53 AM
JKM

There is no fuel shutoff solonoid on a big engine like that. The injectors are electronically controlled. Id still say your losing prime , you need to get a fuel pressure gauge on there and see what it does when the key is turned on.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:16 AM

Kulain, what you need to do, is get a piece of clear plastic hose into the feed line from the tank to the transfer pump, and see if you are getting air in the fuel.

What is the fuel level at when it begins to have starting issues?
Old 03-30-2010, 07:42 PM

Thanks so much for the info and input--think I stumbled on something--found a fuse in the wiring harness in front of and going to the high pressure pump--fuse legs and female plug both had corrosion--cleaned the female plug and put in new fuse--seems to be doing ok.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:32 AM

cranked off good 5 times then last time, engine stumbled and white smoke came out of stack--then started running ok--think high pressure pump may be going out--or both pumps?
Old 04-01-2010, 10:34 AM

ok, at this point, get a scanner on it, and pull codes. You are about to start throwing some very expensive parts around, trying to shotgun the problem.

It isn't worth the hassle.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:53 AM

Also, if you get me a model and serial number, like I asked earlier, I may be able to do better diagnostics.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:23 PM

Sorry I got all the number info I could get off data plate on door jamb and listed it maybe there are other numbers somewhere? I'm not gonna do any parts throwing--take it to someone else I guess.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:46 PM

look at the top of the engine, on the driver's side. there is a data plate near the front, below the valve cover. it lists engine serial number, CPL, power rating, etc. Find that number and description.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:55 PM

We had a lot of problems with a fleet of '06 8600's and fuel transfer pumps/crossover lines....But like already mentioned, with everything being computerized these days, it's best to get the ESN for pind, and get some diagnostics done on it, could be anything, and no sense in wasting money throwin parts at it, like already mentioned...it's hard enough for trucking co's to make it these days without downtime.

Just happened to think- trace your lines all the way back to the tanks and check fittings, making sure they are tight, any looseness with allow air in, and lose prime. And I've seen cracked drawstraws on IH's before as well.

Quick Reply: Fuel information please