Big Rigs Talk about other Cummins powered vehicles here. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even have to be Cummins, but it will be diesel! :)

European & North-American trucks

Old 06-05-2009, 05:57 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
European & North-American trucks

Hi guys.

I have to say for starters that I'm not a professional truck driver, and I'm from Finland, so some of the questions might feel funny.

What do you guys think about european trucks? I don't know single one of truck company or driver in here who actually works with Pete, Kenworth,Mack or some other North American truck model. Our system has basicly made those trucks illegal. 25.25meters is the maxinium length here.
There are also some turning radious limitations. Not talking about E-approved lights and other systems.

I have seen a one 1984 Kenworth W-900 in here, it was among one of the stunt car acts in here.

Anyway, I have allways liked forward engined big long nose styled chromed trucks over the poor looking cabovers in here.

Some of the north american contacts have been telling me that they thought european trucks small, maybe they are a bit of short, but usually the driver actually sits a lot of higher than in any of your trucks, because the different cab-over design. And the width is usually the same. I have seen some pics of your cab-overs, but it seems that the driver does not sit a lot higher in those than any other of your truck types.

Our trucks here in Finland are very specifically restricted.

The actual truck can be 12 meters/39.37 feet long and 2.6meters/8.54 feet wide.
The actual combination can be 25.25meters/73feet long and 4.2 meters/13.78 feet high .

The max total weight can be 60 metric tons. That's 132000 pounds.

Do you guys use mainly semi trailers only?
We use a lot of these types also:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...telm%C3%A4.jpg

Here's some pics of the types that we use in here:
http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajoneuvoyhdistelm%C3%A4

Is it just that the grass looks more green over the hence or what?

What do you think about all this? Is there a lot of the big european cab-overs over there?

What do you think that what are the main reasons why our trucks are so different?

I guess my Dodge is the closest thing I can get on American trucking in our screwed up system.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they stopped making cab over here for awhile now i believe. the cabovers are nice for tight spaces like ya'll have over there but they ride way to rough for are highways or least in my opnion. dont think i have seen any class8 european trucks here at all. our max without a permits 80k and 65 ft. nothing beats runnng down the highway here in a 379x exthood pete
Old 06-05-2009, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the closest I have seen to a european truck is a Volvo, and thats by name association only, really. Unless you count Liebherr cranes.

Between Calgary and Edmonton, a lot of trucking companies run A-trains with two 53' trailers. We have a lot more area to move around in over here. Britain has 20 times the population of Alberta, and is roughly 1/3rd the size. Other than the coasts, the population density is pretty low, so they don't need trucks that can fit down back allies.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:55 PM

agreed.

I think Super Bs are legal up to 140,000lbs.

You might still buy a brand new COE. Freightliner Argosy. I've worked on a few. some very new. might be special order? I'm not sure. there was 1 Argosy body job that we had in 6 month ago, brand new in for parameter adjustments. before customer delivery.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like cab-overs for the visibility aspects, but man, talk about being 'first on scene'! It's almost as if the driver is going to hit something before the actual truck!

I don't recall seeing any European trucks here either.

chaikwa.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:48 PM

I have a soft spot for cab overs. I dunno what it is but I love them. Although NOTHING beats working on a Freightliner Classic.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:36 PM

I personally love COE's. Mainly due to being more manuverable. Overseas I have seen a lot of cabovers that are about the width and length of a full size pickup long bed truck with a regular cab. However they were 4 door crew cab COE with a flat bed similar to the litte tiny trucks you see selling for offroad use in the states. Most are 4 cyl.TD. A lot are 4x4. I think the last one I saw was a Kia Bongo? Something like this. http://www.alibaba.com/product-tp/105035209/KIA_Bongo_III_2005_Used_truck.html I think they are great, I want a truck for use as a truck. The last one I saw, looked to be as big as a MegaCab inside. I know its not a Big Rig, but I also like the ones like 320 Pete's http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/d...9b639f47944652 and the newer Military FMTV's http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...ound/m1078.htm.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by 1-5-3-6-2-4
You might still buy a brand new COE. Freightliner Argosy. I've worked on a few. some very new. might be special order? I'm not sure. there was 1 Argosy body job that we had in 6 month ago, brand new in for parameter adjustments. before customer delivery.
I believe they are still being made. I was even at Freightliner today and totally forgot about asking. I know they were still being made not too many years ago for sure.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Iron Mike
I know its not a Big Rig, but I also like the ones like 320 Pete's http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/d...9b639f47944652
Ahh, rubber block suspension... those ride niiiiiice!

I like the military truck the best. Except that I can never figure out why they rate the carrying capacity so low on anything military. The Dodge one tons have a higher payload and towing capacity than the military truck!

chaikwa.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:47 AM

It seems that I got an interesting discussion here.

I think you are partly wrong with the cabovers riding ability.

Maybe Usa cab overs are little uncomfortable than long hooders.
But I bet European "Class 8" Cab-overs has better ride. Good Air suspension is the key, on the suspension and on the drivers seat+ on the cab.

I heard that most of your trucks wont even have front axle brakes?

At least thats one of the reasons why Usa trucks are hard to get on the road here.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Erska

Maybe USA cab overs are little uncomfortable than long hooders.
But I bet European "Class 8" Cab-overs has better ride. Good Air suspension is the key, on the suspension and on the drivers seat+ on the cab.

At least thats one of the reasons why USA trucks are hard to get on the road here.
No front brakes is from many years ago. They all have required front brakes now. The only place I have seen them without anymore is truck shows.

Cabovers give a lot of back slap going down the road. Not sure if there is a way to prevent that, at least on our roads.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Erska

Maybe Usa cab overs are little uncomfortable than long hooders.

At least thats one of the reasons why Usa trucks are hard to get on the road here.

When I was working at a tire shop, all the semi's we had in all had leaf spring front suspensions, although most of the rear/trailer suspensions were air. The cabs were all on air suspension though.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by chaikwa
Ahh, rubber block suspension... those ride niiiiiice!

I like the military truck the best. Except that I can never figure out why they rate the carrying capacity so low on anything military. The Dodge one tons have a higher payload and towing capacity than the military truck!

chaikwa.
The 320's ride kinda like a truck with the floor glued to the crossmembers. and with rubber blocks you don't have to worry about busting springs that way.
I think most civilian vehicles are rated to the higher side. Military are rated way to the low side, trying to make them worm proof. They know that they are going to get loaded up anyway.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:06 PM

snapped some pics at work today............love using my new blackberry Erska you can compare styles to european trucks.

heres some standard north american class 8 long haul truck suspensions

standard leaf. all front steer axles on road have air brakes.
'96 freightliner classic

air assist leaf. front steer.
2003-04 ish freightliner columbia

tandem drives. pretty standard air bag setup.

cab mount dual airbags dual shocks

driverseat air suspension single bag single shock.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:13 AM

1-5-3-6-2-4: Nice pictures!
To be absolute honest, I don't know really much how European truck suspensions are built, but those pictures what you posted looks pretty same to me, looks as modern as the European competitors, but I think that the steering might be a little modern in European trucks. At least Scania 144G steering is better than my Dodge's.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: European & North-American trucks