Big Rigs Talk about other Cummins powered vehicles here. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even have to be Cummins, but it will be diesel! :)

Detroit 12.7 derating

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check every ground on your rig. Chassis/Cab/battery.. Buff them off, spray them with a good coating...Every ground you can find, redo them....
Old 01-25-2010, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Riflemanusmc
Your not prying bud. We all learn from each other. Thats what we a SUPPOSE to be here for. I'm a real stickler on the sharing of what one knows. Too many supposed experts out there. Me? I'm as dumb as a fencepost..We went through 12 NEW turbo's in one day. They were all out of DD's feeler gauge specs on the rod stop. AKA over boost. Every one of them were over on the rod travel. LOL, yea. DD will let a tech adjust it now. After our customers law suit is over...The "boys" at the home office are not 100% spot on at all times. And make a bunch more than you and I...
thats borderline insanity. we do enough of them to keep a spare ddec V ecm loaded with the test spec on the reprograming station cart. but man thats unbelievable.

do you ever profile the warrantee numbers you get there with a national average? is it geographic location related
Old 01-25-2010, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by bigdave
Where is the computer ground at? Does it go through the wiring harness or is it one of the bolts that hold it to the motor?
the ecm grounds directly to the batteries. the 5 pin power harness - takes voltage fused directly to the battery. Pins A & C are positive Pins B, D, & E are negative.

Heres a trick to testing the power harness. you need to draw a load through it. what I mean is. its very possible that you put your trusty multi meter on it and pin out source voltage through pin A&C and you have continuity through the grounds. but rig up a cheapo 12v tractor light with some wire and pins. and put a lead to any known good ground. and pin it to A&C. if doesn't light full boat. through both. you might want to mess around trying to find the high resistance. or the wire might be green right through. replace the power harness. I beleive they are not expensive. it has a 2pin that jumps from the power harness to the vehicle interface harness for ignition trigger.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by 1-5-3-6-2-4
the ecm grounds directly to the batteries. the 5 pin power harness - takes voltage fused directly to the battery. Pins A & C are positive Pins B, D, & E are negative.

Heres a trick to testing the power harness. you need to draw a load through it. what I mean is. its very possible that you put your trusty multi meter on it and pin out source voltage through pin A&C and you have continuity through the grounds. but rig up a cheapo 12v tractor light with some wire and pins. and put a lead to any known good ground. and pin it to A&C. if doesn't light full boat. through both. you might want to mess around trying to find the high resistance. or the wire might be green right through. replace the power harness. I beleive they are not expensive. it has a 2pin that jumps from the power harness to the vehicle interface harness for ignition trigger.
That is a very good idea. I have had those situations before where a meter said that it was ok but it really wasn't. In fact, the power wire going to the lift pump on my pickup was that way.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by 1-5-3-6-2-4
thats borderline insanity. we do enough of them to keep a spare ddec V ecm loaded with the test spec on the reprograming station cart. but man thats unbelievable.

do you ever profile the warrantee numbers you get there with a national average? is it geographic location related
That problem child truck was in the shop almost two years ago. IT is why DD has changed it up. Trust me. Going by DD's wr rules. We were to the breaking point on this FL. Couple of turbo's. Lots of senders and trouble shooting times. Two flashed ECM's. One engine harness. FL and DD were back crawling on this rig..
Old 01-27-2010, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by bigdave
That is a very good idea. I have had those situations before where a meter said that it was ok but it really wasn't. In fact, the power wire going to the lift pump on my pickup was that way.
Check your CHASSIS ground. Nothing to do with the batteries..
Old 01-31-2010, 04:15 PM

Working on an older FL with series 60 dd. The ECM main ground was under the glove box passengers side. It was throwing a bucket load of unrelated codes before i found the poor ground. A little green looking around the stud but not loose. Up and hauling since then. Another issue I ran into with it was worn out pin connectors on the ECM sensor harness, tied the harness off to one side and the problem went away. Have to replace the connector ends in the harness when I get time. Gr8 discussion guys.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:47 PM

Since the truck works fine when the motor is heated up a little- I would suspect a coolant sensor.
Seen a lot of these bad over the years.
JYHO
Old 03-18-2010, 07:57 PM

These engines have vary few problems with electronics. If it isn't throwing codes go back to the basics. The 2 most common problems with low/lower than normal power is fuel supply or turbo boost. Make sure you have proper fuel pressure and proper flow. This could be as simple as a fuel filter or harder such as deteriorated fuel lines, fuel pump, etc. Check turbo boost pressure it should be close to 26-28lbs. of pressure under load. If it isn't you have an air leak, intake gaskets, the most common is the red or green hoses on the pressure side of the intake, usually you will get a woshing sound or muffled wistle similar to to a standard turbo whislte. Next most leak is an after cooler, they are just like a radiator, ends of the core usually leak, take it out and pressure test it.