ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Work/Play truck build...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Work/Play truck build...

Wanted to have a thread for some questions I have where I wont derail any previous threads and give those of us who are on here 23 hours a day somewhere to waste time.
I have now fixed 90% of the stock problem areas on my truck that have been holding me back from doing what I have always wanted to do. My goal is 600hp with or without help from a bottle. I want it to be drivable enough to use it for work monday to friday and be at least in the 13's on the weekends. I also would like to be able to cruise on the highway under 1000 degrees which I am not able to do right now. Empty at 110 my EGT's are 1000-1100 which bothers me incase I ever do have to tow anything.
So to do this I thought I would post on here and make a list of the parts I will need as most of you have had experience in what works and what doesn't.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
I am deadset on Twins!! I saw a setup on ebay for 1800 bucks that really got me thinking about it and I think they would be the easiest way to get to where I want to be safely and reliably.
I want to try the Quadzilla Adrenaline
I am partial to DDP and F1 injectors, probably 150's if they will be enough.
No idea what kind of cam, or if I should get one or not.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:43 PM

do a good cam shaft sooner than later. it will make a difference.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:46 PM

and honestly. stud AND oring your head before doing twins and such. don't half arsch it. you will need them to do what you want to do. just do it before you kill the HG. because you will kill the HG.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:15 AM

Haha yeah I do plan on doing that sooner then later, I dont plan on running huge boost levels.... often. I might buy the studs on payday and start looking for a head to O-ring.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:20 AM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder why your heating up so bad at 110Km...? and yet with the larger tubo.I got 4:10 gears and my EGT are 700 to 800..Chris 96 is the same.Is it more common for the 24V to run a little warmer..Sorry Fred...Kind of highjacked your post...
Old 06-23-2009, 09:59 AM

Thats why I started this one, its ok to hijack here lol

I think my EGT problem is a combo of a larger exhaust housing and really dirty injectors. At that speed and EGT level im making at most 4 pounds of boost.
When I had stock injectors and stock turbo I could run at 110 making about 13PSI and EGT's were around 580-600. I think with a tight set of twins I should be able to keep some more air moving and get my EGT's back down to comfotable levels
Old 06-23-2009, 04:06 PM
The Guru

Someone has to try a Hamilton cam and a maxspool cam. I have to buy a cam for my engine in abit, so someone else can be the real world tester I don't know which way to go. I talked to a few about the Helix cams, you lose power down low and some of the quick spool-up. I just have a PDR camshaft. It seems to work well throughout the rpm range. You could also do a quick port clean-up as well.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:43 PM

fred 1000-1100 seems od to me, with the smaller gt3782 130 sticks and adrenaline im sure i was closer to 800
Old 06-23-2009, 08:58 PM

You need to do a pressure test on your air system, I bet you have multiple leaks, and am willing to bet its your intercooler.

150's will get you close to 600hp with enough air. Look at what Jamie did on Mach 4's with a 62mm, and Darryl did with Mach 4.5's and 64mm turbo. If you're looking for max 600hp, I think BD twins would be a good fit you, and are relatively cheap and are proven. That link you posted on abdiesels, while cheap, there seems something fishy to me. I don't know if its missing turbos or what, but $1800 for a $600-800 turbo (475), $400-600 turbo (hx40), and all the odds and ends. Something just doesn't seem right, IMO. But doesn't hurt to look, and you might score a deal.

I've got some DDP 150's I don't plan on using again. Send them back to DDP, get the pressures set for a 24v and run them. We can make a deal if interested.

For cam's, I'd personally go with F1 stuff. Seeing Zach's additude on CompD has turned me off from Hamilton stuff. You could look at Colt cams. They are cheap, Canadian, and that the outfit that makes all of Hamilton's cams. They do PDR's or Peak's as well. One of the old Piers places.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:17 AM
The Guru

I think at the end of the day, all these non fly cut camshafts are almost the same valve lift and duration. Zach, seemed ok when I talked to him. His guys at the shop really seemed to know what parts are required to build a decent motor. I just want to see what happens when you move the lube centerline for the intake and exhaust valves.

Greg (Hughes I think) is a real nice guy, he gave me his home ph# so I could chat with him on a Sunday afternoon.

Colt cams would build you any camshaft that you want, and I think thats the cam that I'm running. The trick is to get to try some of these different set-up and get to see how each set-up works on our trucks.

Don, from F1, who has ever talked to him, but anyways???

Fred, I agree something is off to get 1100 deg's with that turbo. I ran twins and those injectors and I couldn't move the pyro past 1200 deg's pulling my RV. Its time to find out whats going on and get her dialed in before you start to make big changes.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:45 AM

Like Tate said Fred, the best combo to get their and beyond would be twins and a set of large Mach injectors. A nice cam from F1 will help with the EGT's too and give you better spool up controll. I think the EGT problem is a combo of a small turbo and a leak here and there. It all adds up. As we all know now, you can't get to that 600hp mark with a single 62 or a 64! I'm sure you can with a big 66 but then it's not a work truck anymore. I would suggest a set of either BD towing twins or the bigger R700 and a set of Mach 6's. You will like the Adrenaline I THINK but I hope it likes your truck. The Edge Comp Drag and the Smarty have been a good combo for years or the Edge Comp Drag and the BD Rad. That 600 mark is a tough one, just add a little spray as we seen on Mikes truck made a honest 70hp with water/meth or get all crazy like some people and spray the laughing gas???
Old 06-24-2009, 09:36 AM

There is a set of nice BD twins for sale on comp D, by member twisted sister. I know him personally, he is a great guy. He is one of the guys from NHRDA.

Kevin
Old 06-24-2009, 09:14 PM

My rig is very livable towing 5000-6000 pounds through the mountains or everyday driving. If your shooting for drivability you can't beat a 62 and a good set of 150's. If 600 is your goal something like my combo and a 75 shot would get you there, cheap too.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:40 PM
The Guru

Fred, your turbo is a 64mm inducer, that bigger than a S362. It will out spool any similar size turbo. I would run mach 3 or mach 4's, and run the spray. Forget the twins. Studs, are a good insurance. If you just want to go cheap. Camshafts are nice, but stock isn't that bad. Knowing you somewhat, you might want to drive over a honda or some other ricer during one of those midnight courier runs. Twins are the only way at that point. Sooner or later you run out of methanol or NOS.

I'm game to help pull the wrenchs and to help out but these days I just sit back and watch. Heck I can't even keep my stuff running anymore.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:10 AM

hey fred i would do a pressure test like tate and mike said , sounds likr thats a big part of you problem , and them cooler are bad for leaking ,

Quick Reply: Work/Play truck build...