ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Twins build GT3782R over a S475

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:22 AM
The Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few extra tweaks on the pump, would convert it from a tow rig into a dyno queen fairly easily. Right know its more set-up for towing, than dyno events.

Was a fun build working with everyone on this set-up. Rob is top notch in the Pee pumper tuning. Wish I could do another fun truck like Greggs. Don't get a chance to often to work on virgin 98 dodge 180 pump trucks. Sweet ride my friend. I can't wait to get my built 12V into a driver. Worked till 12:30am last night on it. Thankfully Brett came over to give me a hand with it last night. Basically I'm converting a 24V truck into a 12V truck. Lost three days last week due to a sick 180HP-911 Pee pumper.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by StealthDiesel
ASW= Airdrie Skunk Works?? !!
So close:

ASW = Airdrie Sunk Works
Old 04-20-2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by StealthDiesel
That does look awesome Mike & the rest of the team. Very nice work.

Will that truck & set up get dynoed before it goes back home to Montana?

ASW= Airdrie Skunk Works?? !!

^^^ That's what I thought originally. I thought it was named after Lockheed Martin's Skunk Works Division. They did create one of my favorites the SR-71 Blackbird. What do you think Airdrie guys?? sunk to skunk?? As it is you guys are alot like Lockheed with advanced development programs. After all your turning these diesels into rockets with turbines. Just like Lockheed. I think we need a poll on a middle name change.

Anyway great bunch of guys in Airdrie/Calgary. Well worth the drive up from Montana.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
A few extra tweaks on the pump, would convert it from a tow rig into a dyno queen fairly easily. Right know its more set-up for towing, than dyno events.

Was a fun build working with everyone on this set-up. Rob is top notch in the Pee pumper tuning. Wish I could do another fun truck like Greggs. Don't get a chance to often to work on virgin 98 dodge 180 pump trucks. Sweet ride my friend. I can't wait to get my built 12V into a driver. Worked till 12:30am last night on it. Thankfully Brett came over to give me a hand with it last night. Basically I'm converting a 24V truck into a 12V truck. Lost three days last week due to a sick 180HP-911 Pee pumper.
Yeah that's right no longer a virgin. She has been opened up in a big way.
Rob does have it setup for towing which is what I most use the truck for. He knows these p-pumps and how to set them up. I plan on doing my dyno run as the towing rig and also weekend warrior spank the new gens after the fueling tweaks. I'm guessing with the pump tweaks very close to 600hp. As a tow rig 475hp???

Sounds like a fun project with your 12v. Can happen with the sick Pee Pumpers sometime. My lift pump crapped out on Rob on the highway. The old girl needed a pump and some maintenance after being stock for so long.

Mike I'll give a call when I'm in town then. Have a great Easter weekend.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by HelenaTDI
^^^ That's what I thought originally. I thought it was named after Lockheed Martin's Skunk Works Division. They did create one of my favorites the SR-71 Blackbird. What do you think Airdrie guys?? sunk to skunk?? As it is you guys are alot like Lockheed with advanced development programs. After all your turning these diesels into rockets with turbines. Just like Lockheed. I think we need a poll on a middle name change.

Anyway great bunch of guys in Airdrie/Calgary. Well worth the drive up from Montana.
It is tongue in cheek with the sunk works.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:47 PM
The Guru

Yeah that's right no longer a virgin. She has been opened up in a big way.
Rob does have it setup for towing which is what I most use the truck for. He knows these p-pumps and how to set them up. I plan on doing my dyno run as the towing rig and also weekend warrior spank the new gens after the fueling tweaks. I'm guessing with the pump tweaks very close to 600hp. As a tow rig 475hp???

Sounds like a fun project with your 12v. Can happen with the sick Pee Pumpers sometime. My lift pump crapped out on Rob on the highway. The old girl needed a pump and some maintenance after being stock for so long.

Mike I'll give a call when I'm in town then. Have a great Easter weekend.
Gregg, I know your truck is faster than my truck. Was pretty impressed for a near stock truck just running SDX 140's sticks, and that was with a sick lift pump and lose air boot. You have a wicked set-up, worked well on my truck. I would guess, with fuel pressure your set-up is 475-500rwhp area. delivery valves, bigger injectors, more tuning, you could be around 600+rwhp area. A big time change from a stock 180 truck, that you left us. Hope you like buddy.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:42 PM

Gregg, I know your truck is faster than my truck. Was pretty impressed for a near stock truck just running SDX 140's sticks, and that was with a sick lift pump and lose air boot. You have a wicked set-up, worked well on my truck. I would guess, with fuel pressure your set-up is 475-500rwhp area. delivery valves, bigger injectors, more tuning, you could be around 600+rwhp area. A big time change from a stock 180 truck, that you left us. Hope you like buddy.
Yeah look forward to finally getting a break from work long enough to head up and drive it home. Yeah guess Rob didn't go crazy with the tuning. He said somewhere in the 450-500rwhp range I believe as he wanted to keep EGT's in check for towing. My elevation in Helena, MT is ~4100ft which is about what Calgary is right? If I'm not lower in elevation than Calgary EGT's should be about the same as the setup now. Rob figured it had another 100hp left with tuning. At any rate as you say big difference from the 180 truck buddy. I think I'll be more than happy with the baseline setup Rob has for now. It's running great from what I hear. It'll be fun spanking most the newer gen CR's.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:36 AM
The Guru

Yeah look forward to finally getting a break from work long enough to head up and drive it home. Yeah guess Rob didn't go crazy with the tuning. He said somewhere in the 450-500rwhp range I believe as he wanted to keep EGT's in check for towing. My elevation in Helena, MT is ~4100ft which is about what Calgary is right? If I'm not lower in elevation than Calgary EGT's should be about the same as the setup now. Rob figured it had another 100hp left with tuning. At any rate as you say big difference from the 180 truck buddy. I think I'll be more than happy with the baseline setup Rob has for now. It's running great from what I hear. It'll be fun spanking most the newer gen CR's.
Thanks buddy, worked hard to get it right. Hopefully you like it.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:58 AM

I've got no worries. You, Rob, Brett and the ASW bunch top notch. Now if I can afford to drive it this summer. I'm hearing $6 or higher this summer. Last I saw in MT was $4.15 Our dollar is going to be toilet paper before long..
Old 04-21-2011, 12:12 PM
The Guru

As for fuel price, probably not coming down in anytime soon. Makes you wonder if the people we elect actually care about us little joe blow normal guys. Most of the high price in North America of fuel is a result of government BS politics.

We are at about $4.53USD a gallon here in Calgary or 1.14 per litre. Sure puts a big hurt into my RV plans for travelling this summer.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:41 AM

Well finally had a break in the action to pick up my truck on Sunday. Drove it home with a grin ear to ear. Still can't believe the difference in power. Once I hit the border in Montana it was hammer down. Had a chance to really open it up. Down right scary in the power. On my WOT from about 50mph to 110mph boost was 58psi and EGT's hit 1200 then dropped off very quickly. It all happened in a blink of an eye.
Oh yeah and with having all the fun my mileage increased. Stock driving at 85mph was 16mpg. Ended up with 17.5mpg on my fill when I got back to Helena. Simply amazing. More than doubled the HP/Torque and a increase in mileage. I'm thinking if I drove it normal I could have easily gotten 20mpg on the highway.
Anyway thanks again to Rob, Mike, Brett, Tate and any others involved in the project. Finally got a truck that's fun to drive again.
Still plan on getting it on the dyno in May sometime when I get a chance. I'm guessing won't be far off from 500hp and $hit loads of torque. NICE!!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:33 AM

Just glad you are happy.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:44 PM

excellent to hear! Hope you got the Crown Royal back OK too, LOL.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:18 PM

Awesome news!!!!!
Old 04-27-2011, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by dvst8r
Just glad you are happy.
Yep sweet setup.

Originally Posted by pistazie
excellent to hear! Hope you got the Crown Royal back OK too, LOL.
Yep, brought a liter back. Made it to Helena in 6.5hrs from Calgary that was with a couple of stops. Once I passed through Sweet grass it was hammer down. 3 Canadian highway patrols were working it just south of Lethbridge. Had numerous cars pulled over. Never seen one highway patrol in Montana.

Quick Reply: Twins build GT3782R over a S475