ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Towing Business

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Towing Business

Anyone here from Alberta involved in the towing business.
I have been pondering getting a Tilt Deck and or a Wrecker. As for operation of the trucks I have that end covered.
Things I need to find out about is the legalites of such a business. What are the insurance requirements, registration, training and so forth.

I have one guy who will come to work for me, he operated as a Light Duty Operater a couple years ago and still has a few contacts but they are all on the driving side not the Ownership side.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends on the market you are trying to set up in. It's been a while since I have been involved in the industry, and what I remember of it was the winters were never cold or long enough for the summers.

In and around the major centers, the big companies had everything pretty much covered, so there wasn't a whole lot left for the little guys.

Good luck and stay safe. I still have a pair of coveralls with one of the back pockets missing from when I was getting somebody off of 14 Street in Calgary many years ago.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:34 PM

Dont quote me on it but I've heard insurance on a tow truck is higher then even a Taxi, like crazy money. Thats about all I know, might want to look into it to be sure.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:00 AM

As was stated earlier in the post, in the major centers 95% of the market is taken by the major players in the towing industry (city wide, etc). The local police departments also have these companies on call. And that applies to deck truck and big rig units aswell. The best option is to contract yourself out to one of the above mentioned companies.