ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Third Genner 'looky'

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 1-5-3-6-2-4
how is it out of country from a dealer in BC?

if its at the dealer, make them run the VIN and hook up the dealer scan tool to look at the code history.
uhhh I dunno, I thought it was originally from the states. I have a nasty cold, thats my excuse and I am stikkin to it.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=224383
Old 12-08-2008, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scotty
uhhh I dunno, I thought it was originally from the states. I have a nasty cold, thats my excuse and I am stikkin to it.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=224383
Originally from the USA ,brought into BC by a dealer/broker and offered for sale after all the government crap is done by them(daytime running light/inspection/import sticker etc).It is now sold as a restricted Canadian vehicle but "No Warranty",i negotiated a 2 year warranty into the deal.This broker has done quit a bit over the last 18 months because of our dollar and slow US economy---most of the business is from good old red-neck Alberta.I was a little worried about doing it this way but after getting about 30 photo's i decided to take a chance and have a look,maybe score a decent truck or be out my time and a return plane ticket home.This ----so far looks like it i did OK----but do your homework,demand all the info on the vehicle etc.I hope this helps.DW
Old 12-08-2008, 06:06 PM
The Guru

Thumbs up

And where could you find a rust free truck here in Canada? To me that the biggest selling point. The only place is a brand new truck or one that been in a garage as a toy.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
And where could you find a rust free truck here in Canada? To me that the biggest selling point. The only place is a brand new truck or one that been in a garage as a toy.
"garage as a toy"----yeh that my 01 but it is a toy,right now its out at my in-laws acreage in one of there shops until i can sell the 02 Trailblazer i'v been driving.The 07 MEGA just fits in my garage,about 18 inches at the front before the stairs----should of built a triple---next time.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:43 PM

Ohhh Dealer...not Dealer dealer.......just a car dealer guy. I see. well I still like it.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:15 PM

TIME FLY"S, THREE YEARS LATER---just revisiting an old thread as of today.Update----beside a basically new front end(u-joints/hubs/brakes/Carli balljoint,08 sterring update/alignment-JULY 2011) but still running stong.I picked the ride up with 33000Km and 3 years later its at 98500Km,$12000 in upgrades+maintenance.(Rims/tonnue cover,SS runningboards S/B intake/Smarty JR/Seatcovers/Mag-hytec/CFM intake/ funkly led lights all around/one piece drive shaft/Amsoiled everywhere with bypass.)That about it for now until spring but the more i drive this ride the less interest i have in parting with it----the MRS enjoy driving it too.I have had about a 1/2 dozen offers if i would like to sell it over the 3years of ownership.----PS the dealer called last month and wanted to know if i would trade it in on a 2010 Mega dually on the lot with 30,000 Km, i told the sales rep that it would be a step backwards.I will check back in another 3years to see where i stand then and what has been changed or updated.DW
Old 12-09-2011, 11:01 AM

keeping in mind after some time on the real world road, the fully deleted 6.7L cummins with an H&S type tuner, are proving to be reliable monsters.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:41 PM

keeping in mind after some time on the real world road, the fully deleted 6.7L cummins with an H&S type tuner, are proving to be reliable monsters.
i will stick with my decision as as few friends/co workers with 6.7 are having way more problems than i ever had.Mind you the newer improvements/creature comfort that come with a updated/newer vehicle may out way the increased risk with emissions.What is the cost to do full deletes on a 6.7+ the H&S tuner + what is the mileage after deletes???????.CheersDW
Old 12-10-2011, 01:06 PM
The Guru

So true, my 6.7L has work flawlessly since I bought mine. I get better fuel mileage than my 02. In stock mode (just deleted) the truck works awesome, tows my RV with little effort. The 4th gen interior is way better, you can actually put an adult in the rear seat. I went from an 08 quad cab truck to an 2010 crew cab truck. Dodge has done a decent job with the newest body style. The exhaust break works great for towing, mix that with a better six transmission (gearing wise).
Old 12-10-2011, 01:57 PM

Glad they are finally getting the problems sorted out but 07/08 model were overly troublesome.How many miles on yours now Mike,plus with the deletes do you remove everything or just by-pass with a slick tuner.Call me crazy but yearly/inspection emission testing is eventually coming to Calgary and other big cities thanks to the "Tree Huggers" of the world who think that we should be driving electric/solar powered vehicles.It would be a heck of a pain to take all that stuff off just to put it back on for yearly inspection.Brolaw who pulls wrenches for Calgary Transit are having a heck of a time with there 6.7"S----maybe make a deal to sell them a H&S tuner for a bus..DW
Old 12-10-2011, 07:45 PM
The Guru

50500km, and two saskatchewan river crossings

I run H&S blackmaxx and a home made delete pipe. The truck has worked awesome so far.

Today you can run a smarty jr or H&S XRT pro programer. Back when I bought my truck nothing was available. I had about 5000km on the truck in stock mode. I still own the dpf and second cat. I would guess it would take about 30 mins to reinstall those pieces. I haven't removed the EGR cooler, the egr soleniod, or the throttle butterfly, but everything is unplugged. Even ran the truck on the dyno a year ago. It put down a tiny little 420 rwhp and 960ft*lbs, basically stock.

The stock HE351VGT isn't that much fun of a turbo for power, but the e-brake is awesome.

Outside the emission equipment and the added bore and stroke, the engine is almost the same design as the 06/07 5.9L CR. The fuel system is almost the same, injectors& rail are slightly different. The 6.7L block and head have more coolant passageways for cooling than the 5.9L
Old 12-10-2011, 08:01 PM

Things have worked out for you Mike with some "TWEEKING",you log quite a bit of miles over the course of a year between pleasure/work just like me----100 000Km is a average year for me between both.A good friend of mine(die hard Ford fan ) just picked up a new 2012 FORD F350 SRW "KING RANCH"yesterday---loaded to the nuts for around 70K----gonna check it out later on this week.I wonder how much Urea it will burn through though,depends on how hard it is worked/outside temps from what he says.DW
Old 12-10-2011, 09:15 PM
The Guru

I probably have put 50k onto both of my truck this year. Both have worked really well with almost no maintaince issues. Had a oil cooler leakage issue mid summer with the 02, but got that fixed up with some of my extra bits and pieces.

Heard a few ford 6.7L failures over the last few years. Impressed with the extra torque that the 6.7L has vs. the 5.9L

I'm hoping on building a neato 6.7L engine for my 02 this spring, but funny thing is the old VP engine runs like a top. No blow-by and decent compression. I just flip 320000km's on the old girl, and still doesn't burn oil. Original engine still (ok just the bottom end, the head/VP is off another 01 24VP engine that I used to own. Both are probably over 400000km's mark.

70 k, wow tons of money. Had a buddy buy a decent larmie 3500 C&C long bed for $56k. The guy thru in a carli kit and some big wheelo's on the truck.

I want a set of 18's or 20's and get the same carli kit on mine. The truck is heavy truck, mine weighed around 7600lbs, my 02 is around 6500lbs mark.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:06 PM

Lol, mine scales 9,300lbs empty
Old 12-11-2011, 12:06 AM

My 01 is just over 8800LBS with all the extras(canopy/bumpers/winch),tranny in the new 6.7 Fords are really strong.Carli starter will go on the 07 when funds allow,maybe fall 2012----might as well finish it off as the balljoints are in and rear Bilsteins are on---just need the trackbar/shocks/springs/control arms.PS---still have to get around to putting that water pump on the 01 as the Cummins replacement is still sitting on the bench----but it has not leaked in the last 2 times out,probable wait on warmer weather.

Quick Reply: Third Genner 'looky'