ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Snow Day

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 11:43 AM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't beleive you can't use your ATV to plow snow...Must be the same for garden tractors with plows...My neighbour down the street uses his garden tractor to plow his corner lot house..Don't think anyone in my area is going to give a 81 year old man a hard time...
Old 10-24-2012, 02:26 PM
The Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I plow most of the neighbors driveways when I'm home. Not sure what the difference is between a tractor, sideby, ATV, skidsteer or snow blower but Airdrie has drawn the line against ATV in private residents. Commercal is different zoning rules.

Just makes me mad enough to move out into the country somewhere.

My quad is licensed/insured for oilfield service, so I'm paying a bundle and not able to use it. Sorry for the rant guys, I'm too fat and old to shovel snow by hand
Old 10-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Can you believe here in Airdrie, they have bylaw going around handing out tickets for people that use ATV to plow snow on your own property. Then they give you a ticket for not shoveling your driveway

Any no RV's either (less than 72 hrs), so no body move here to Airdrie.

Funny how fast they change the bylaws. Sorry guys had to vent. At least it stop raining here for abit.
Mike, what possible rationale do they have for the plowing tickets? The only thing I can see is if it has to do with blocking the road with the snow off your driveway? I have a driveway that is about 600ft from barn to county road. I know I can get in trouble if my plowing obstructs the road, so I just make sure I push my snow right across and into the ditch on the other side. I have had my SnowBear plow for my truck for almost 20 years. The quad I bought last year came with a plow. We had so little snow last year I only had to plow once all year. I decided to try the quad plow as there wasn't much snow and it was only a few degrees below freezing. I found I can plow way more precisely with the quad but it is way colder than being in the truck and you get totally covered in snow.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:10 PM

I have a cab for my Ranger,, which is awesome,, lol
Old 10-24-2012, 08:17 PM
The Guru

I was told that it damages the concrete. Funny thing is the snow plow truck nails the storm drain cover everytime it goes by, I'm waiting for the snow plow/blade to get ripped off.

I live on a school bus route and the city snow only plows the middle of the street, so the bus sits in the middle of the street. To me its safer for the kids to load the kids on the side of the road, so I plow that area clear. I plow all my snow into the ditch.

Really there is no rational reason for the bylaw fines, its a lame cash grab.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:39 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was told that it damages the concrete. Funny thing is the snow plow truck nails the storm drain cover everytime it goes by, I'm waiting for the snow plow/blade to get ripped off.

I live on a school bus route and the city snow only plows the middle of the street, so the bus sits in the middle of the street. To me its safer for the kids to load the kids on the side of the road, so I plow that area clear. I plow all my snow into the ditch.

Really there is no rational reason for the bylaw fines, its a lame cash grab.
Be surprized Mike,the bylaws that we don't know about...Just like me planting potatoes in the front lawn, to force nitrogen into the soil...It's a bylaw in Calgary,can't do it...So much doing it the green way with no chemicals....
Old 10-24-2012, 09:28 PM

Can you believe here in Airdrie, they have bylaw going around handing out tickets for people that use ATV to plow snow on your own property. Then they give you a ticket for not shoveling your driveway

Any no RV's either (less than 72 hrs), so no body move here to Airdrie.

Funny how fast they change the bylaws. Sorry guys had to vent. At least it stop raining here for abit.
Same as Calgary on the RV's---but it is 36 hours on the street or front driveway---neighbor got nailed last year by the neighborhood busybody I didn't think they could do that on private property with the quads,just as long as the quad does not go off of your property.This is the way Calgary is(WAS???). North of Piece River at the folks place,they have not seen rain in 2 month then nailed with 18 inches of snow in 2 days. It took me over an hour to shovel the driveway and another hour soaking these sore bones in the new hot tubCheers DW. PS----- i know how you feel about moving out to the country,wife was raised in the country and folks on both sides of the family would never move back into the city once being on an acreage----one day will be our turn.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:06 PM

I dont think I could live in town ever again.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:45 PM

I plow most of the neighbors driveways when I'm home. Not sure what the difference is between a tractor, sideby, ATV, skidsteer or snow blower but Airdrie has drawn the line against ATV in private residents. Commercal is different zoning rules.

Just makes me mad enough to move out into the country somewhere.

My quad is licensed/insured for oilfield service, so I'm paying a bundle and not able to use it. Sorry for the rant guys, I'm too fat and old to shovel snow by hand
Is it strictly ATV's, or are tractors encompassed in it as well? If they are, I'm gonna call the bylaw on Brett when he is out on the Cub Cadet. What about tractor mounted snow blowers? Link to the bylaw?
Old 10-25-2012, 10:57 AM
The Guru

Tate, I'm guessing that its strictly ATV's, as that was the wording in the Airdrie Echo. It was discussed at the last town hall meeting, no sure how far it got into an actual bylaw. Heard a few guys got tickets last year for using ATV's.

Probably a bigger issue would be for you is that your only allowed to have one unregistered vehicle on your property and it has to out of site of view, what ever that means.

I never got a chance to go to the last meeting, I guess it was pretty lively discussion.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:53 AM

I guess I'll have to lift the dually onto the parking pad and drive the parts truck into the garage then, since the dually is still insured and registered. Who cares if it has no rear axle.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:08 PM
The Guru

Tate, its sad deal buddy cause you have some of the coolest unregistered rides in town. At least you have the garage, so you can hide all of your cool stuff.

Hopefully you guys are getting better weather, today it was -2 deg's and a really stiff north wind here in southern dakota. I worked outside most of the day and all my safety stuff is soaking wet from last week Vancouver trip. Not fun deal, I smelt like a wet dog for most of the day.

Hate to say that I really not looking forward to the -47 deg's stuff.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:18 AM

Pulled in to our new house today, no snow what so ever.... gotta love it.. When we left fort mac it was snowing heavy, hit some pretty icy spots on the road. Pretty nice suprise to be here with no snow.

On another note, my dually, with the old truck camper and a cargo trailer I borrowed from a buddy did 12 MPG today,, probably could have done better if I wouldnt have been pushing it. I am not unhappy with that, especially as this truck is quite low geared
Old 10-26-2012, 12:43 AM

Whats the story on the dually? I didn't know you'd picked on up. Details, my friend.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:33 AM

2007 ford f350 King Ranch dually. 152k kms. Very nice condition. Picked it up for 20k

Quick Reply: Snow Day