ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Be safe Folks

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 10:20 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is probably worth mentioning that in this morning's press conference, the CEMA Director said that the Stampede Board has NOT asked for any special support or treatment.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tallguy67
It is probably worth mentioning that in this morning's press conference, the CEMA Director said that the Stampede Board has NOT asked for any special support or treatment.
Really. What do you think they would say.

Considering the number of homes and businesses that are devastated, why ANY effort is put into the stampede to me is ludicrous. People's homes and livelihoods don't mean much. Sure the stampede is an economic boom for the calgary economy, but there are 100s of small businesses that are now out of business for the foreseeable future and the owners without an income, let alone their employees.

I think those resources can be put to better use. The stampede board should call it now so travelers can plan accordingly rather than waiting til the last minute, and maybe even pledge their support to help those who need it.

I am a little biased since I live in High River and my house was at least six feet under water ( measured from street level) from pictures I've seen ( we won't know how bad it is for a while yet). We are EXTREMELY lucky that we all got out safe, my wife and I have jobs that are unaffected, and have lots of options for places to stay. We are fortunate to be in a position to not need help, but there are many who do.

I can't imagine what all the extra strain of things like no income would put those people right now. Lose your business and your home in matter of hours. Then add in that flood damage is not covered under insurance. Talk about getting the rug pulled from underneath you.

When the time comes we can get on with the clean up and repair, I will be extremely grateful for any help I am given.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Robert373
Really. What do you think they would say.

Considering the number of homes and businesses that are devastated, why ANY effort is put into the stampede to me is ludicrous. People's homes and livelihoods don't mean much. Sure the stampede is an economic boom for the calgary economy, but there are 100s of small businesses that are now out of business for the foreseeable future and the owners without an income, let alone their employees.

I think those resources can be put to better use. The stampede board should call it now so travelers can plan accordingly rather than waiting til the last minute, and maybe even pledge their support to help those who need it.

I am a little biased since I live in High River and my house was at least six feet under water ( measured from street level) from pictures I've seen ( we won't know how bad it is for a while yet). We are EXTREMELY lucky that we all got out safe, my wife and I have jobs that are unaffected, and have lots of options for places to stay. We are fortunate to be in a position to not need help, but there are many who do.

I can't imagine what all the extra strain of things like no income would put those people right now. Lose your business and your home in matter of hours. Then add in that flood damage is not covered under insurance. Talk about getting the rug pulled from underneath you.

When the time comes we can get on with the clean up and repair, I will be extremely grateful for any help I am given.
I agree.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:13 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Diesel Dave2
High River...really got hit hard....I have a friend that lives there....Still trying to get a hold of them..

http://globalnews.ca/video/661394/ra...river-flooding
My Inlaws live near downtown High River, I grew up there.

We are still waiting for the town to be cleared for entry so we can go and see whats left of their home. The water was waist deep when they went back to grab some clothes an narrowly escaped with their truck and RV.

Sensing the high water, my Father-in-law hooked the RV that morning to the truck and filled with food/water. When they left the water was up the the mid wheels and rising fast.

I secured a pump and such but the town is still in a state of lock down until they can be sure they can enter safely. They already had some structural fires starting in the town from the wreckage.

A lot of people around that I talk to always say "its gonna be tough with the insurance companies" when its really the opposite. No one in the province is covered for overland floods so if you think you are covered for anything of that nature, you're wrong. This will be all up to the individual and any funds available from disaster relief funds. Its better if your house burns to the ground before the water hits.

L8r
Old 06-24-2013, 11:02 AM

I trucked sandbags around highriver in '05, and in okotoks in '95. the '05 flood was not nearly as bad as the '95 flood. and this is way way worse than the '95 floods. I have lots of family in Highriver too. friends as well. I heard 80% of structures in town were damaged in some way.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:52 PM

One of the fellow bread drivers i see every morning on my route left for work last Thursday----has not been home since(High River ares) and figures everything is lost----i feel his pain.I hope things get easier for all effected.DW
Old 06-25-2013, 12:27 PM

For sure. My aunt and uncle, one cousin, grandfather have all been out since then. and numerous friends. a couple of them have hope that its only the basements. and the two separate couples each have babies less than 2 weeks old.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:55 AM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As you may have heard....We have a bridge that is collapsing with 6 fully loaded rail cars...
Old 06-27-2013, 12:12 PM
The Guru

As you may have heard....We have a bridge that is collapsing with 6 fully loaded rail cars...
I heard that Calgary mayor told everyone just stay home as the entire Calgary roads system is shutdown again. Not sure why all the hiways are shutdown/closed like it is but these days of over doing it. Calgary residents should just use that excuse for not paying the city taxes, as we made no money cause we stayed home because of Nenshi.

I bet that bridge inspector might get his error and omissions insurance might get take a beating, but then APEGA has tons of cash.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
What a day yesterday was in Calgary... Pretty much gridlock everywhere... Having that bridge collapse after the flood was like "what next".. Our city just cannot get a break lately.

Our neighbourhood was evacuated last Thursday nite (Riverbend SE).
Peggy and I were on vacation and missed the entire thing.
We live about 3-4 blocks from the river. Our neighbours did not leave despite the order. We were camping 4 hours from Calgary and plenty worried but no houses in Riverbend, even right on the river were affected.
Just pure luck.

The High River situation is unbelievable. It makes the problems in Calgary seem so minor.
We also have friends living in a motel while they wait to find out what the status of their house is.
So much of that town is gone...
Old 07-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Chapter President

Get to find out Wednesday what is left of the inlaws home. I will be down with pumps, shovel and whatever else I can muster to see what we can save. Current feedback from people going back in is not good, sounds like allot of the town is a wasteland. Gonna be hard to rebuild.

Glad to hear you weren't affected Joe. No one needs that.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:56 PM

My one cousin place is a total loss. Grandparents place is basement loss. One friends lower 2 level are total loss. other friends got away with basement damage.