ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Roads Starting to really SUCK Snow getting worst

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roads Starting to really SUCK Snow getting worst

Drive safe Snow is starting to stick . I was in the Audi A4 and was pushing snow with the Grill on residential service call
QE2 was not bad but was getting worst very quickly
Old 03-05-2012, 07:13 PM

Just over 12 inches here in Sundre and coming down hard. They are saying another 6 to 12 inches for our area tonight.

If your out there, drive safe.

Jeff
Old 03-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems to be north of me,where the most snow...I know the downtown had way more snow than in my area in the S.W
Old 03-05-2012, 07:25 PM

Blowing and drifting quick here...not good at all.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:04 PM

It's slowing down here.. "they" claim 2 inches by morning..
Old 03-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely a north and west thing. Major snow in city when I left, out here south and east of city, just freezing fog making nice ice.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:25 PM

4-6 inches in Citadel so far.North of Gull Lake i still had 18 inches on my place up there over the weekend---enough to have me get my 01 high centered over a 2 foot drift-----out came the shove for some digging.Cheers/drive safe-----12C by the weekend.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:04 PM

man that sucks! it was+35 here today, had a brief rain.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was an interesting drive home tonight, 22 and 9 were both covered in black ice. Then it started snowing on 9 just past dalroy rd (mcknight), nice being able to slip into 4wd with the push of the short lever by my right knee.
I have the quad loaded on the railer ready to go for the morning, plowing the parking lot at work.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:19 AM

Yep. I claim and concur, driving from Okotoks to Fort McMURRAY today major league Sucked.

I ditched my truck just a few km south of Reddeer around noon. 100kmh sideways into the center ditch. Boy am I really glad my truck is 9300lbs and 8' wide or I'd of rolled it for sure. As it stands didn't hit anything, nothing broke, just a huge mushroom cloud of snow, drove myself out after a quick shakedown and moved right along.

That patch stretch was just flat sheer instant black ice. I heard later on the radio, a highway coach and highway tractor ditched and the RCs closed the 2 for a while and diverted traffic to the 2A. Between Olds and reddeer.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah it was a fun day. My dad was driving home from Conklin when his engine siezed. Got the call around noon and by 1pm had the dually hooked to the trailer and was on my way to Lac la Biche.

On the way up saw the bus and jack knifed trailer near Olds. When I got to Nisku things cleared up and were ok till I got back to Nisku around 1am. My dads Co-worker tried to go thru Red Deer around 5pm, ended up sitting in Red Deer for 2 hrs waiting for it to reopen.

Ended up driving in 4wd from Nsiku to Cochrane. Olds on was pretty icy. Counted 15 cars and 2 semis in the ditch between Nisku and Airdrie. Speed for me on QE2 was 90-95km/h, many were only doing 80.

The worst was I decided to bypass the city and went Balzac, Simion Valley to Burma Road thru Bearspaw. Burma road hadn't be touched and was dicey on a few hills.

Calgary/Cochrane 1a was pretty slick as was hwy 22 North of Cochrane to our acreage. Fiannly got home at 4am.

Had the Jeep pushed far forward for more weight on the rear duallys and the Cooper STs did their job well. Got squirrelly many times but never a "near ditch experience".

Worst is I was 286km from Fort McMurray yesterday and now have to go back there today. Atleast this time I get to fly!
Old 03-06-2012, 04:07 PM

I was heading back to Edmonton yesterday. Was passing by Olds around 1330, saw the bus hung up on the wire barrier in the median, and about a dozen other cars. Southbound was all backed up halfway to Bowden, northbound was clear. I was doing 110-120 km/h for the most part, some parts were a little sketchy, but otherwise not too bad. The freezing rain was the worst part. Leaving work last night at 430, guy in front of me decides to do a spin in the middle of the road and fly into the ditch. He seemed clueless, not sure if that was because of what had just happened, or if he is normally like that. Pulled him out, had to let my feet get blasted with air for the rest of the trip to warm up.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:27 PM

Fun today in Calgary driving around for work----550KM in the first 2 days of work----no stucky yet, but a young fella(ricer) driving like a "JACK A$$" cut me off real bad and put me into the curb.I should of let him hit me but i reacted first to get out of the way..So mad that it was enough to get out at the next light and band on his window to tell him to ("SMARTEN UP"),he did not see me coming until i beat the hell out of his side window.He just SHEET himself------Sorry MR, Sorry Mr sorry,sorry sorry----enough for him to have tears in his eyes when i left and was still sitting there when i drove around him--- his girlfriend/sister(whoever) was was not impressed with him either.Hope he has better day and may have a little more respect in crazy driving conditions.DW---MY rant..
Old 03-06-2012, 08:04 PM

I stayed at home, worked in the garage, took my ditch banger out for a little rip around the block.

Was hoping that Mike would bring over his plow, but I guess it is having fan issues, so I will probably have to shovel this all by hand.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:18 PM

too cold

I almost had to put on a long sleeve shirt today. 63deg Fahrenheit at 8:15 PM
You guys are way tougher than me.
Have you seen the commercial that has a car being tested in snow and at the end it says if the weather is worse than this where you live, you don't need a new car, you need a new place to live.

Quick Reply: Roads Starting to really SUCK Snow getting worst