ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Need High Speed Internet!!,ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need High Speed Internet!!,ideas?

What options are there for Internet(fast),in the country, I have a air card but its too slow and dial-up is not a option plus the aircard is 50/50 to work, money is not a concern as long as it works. Cable/ADSL is not a option because there is just no lines where I am. Any suggestions or links would be great.

Thanks
Old 01-14-2009, 09:47 PM

does bell have an internet service?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:15 PM

I found a wireless internet service that served my area. The trick is to find them, but if you go to the local computer store they probably will know who is available

Kevin
Old 01-14-2009, 10:28 PM

Ask about satellite broadband. Not cheap, but my buddies have had good luck with it.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As Kevin said there are highspeed providers out there that will get you on their wireless network. My biz partner is researching the same thing for his new house in the country. The company is Alberta Highspeed. Don't know how far they reach..Alberta Highspeed
Old 01-15-2009, 12:12 AM

Whatever happened to the Alberta Supernet??

http://www.albertasupernet.ca/

When I was in Hanna they put the lines in. I thought its purpose was to bring high speed to all the small communities throughout Alberta?
Old 01-15-2009, 07:35 AM

They brought the fibre out to all the communities Shane, but it's up to an ISP, be it a big corporate guy or a little one, to roll out the "last mile" to the end user. I haven't seen a bunch of undertakings yet to utilize it around here.

There is a small ISP here called Netago that rolled out wireless IP first across the Special Areas and then across Starland County. Pricey to get set up on-and they have been spotty at times over the last 3 weeks or so-but all in all a huge step up from dialup. This is what I am on.

There's other wireless options depending on what part of Alberta you live in as well-closer to Olds/Three Hills there's AireNet. IP Plus blankets a few areas of the province-but the one site we have on it at work has had lost of issues-not sure if it's their equipment or trying to make it play right with CNRL's VPN. There's quite a few others floating around that I'm not aware of I'm sure.

There is also high speed satellite as mentioned before-either NetKaster or Xplornet. I have a buddy that has NetKaster and loves it, but don't know much about either one when it comes to costs.

HTH
Jason
Old 01-15-2009, 07:15 PM

there are a few option first DO not sign anything till you have them do a sight inspection
Second were are you located ?
If at all possible stay away from satellite internet, Unless you go with the UFO saucer, the little elliptical one just doesn't cut it , Or i should say it works great at the equator
LOS line of sight is more of an option just depending on were you are
They (the wireless company's) are taking the lead from Telus and trying to get customers to sign contracts

Super net is So 3 party IP companies can provide internet The super net will lead you to the right stuff and recommend hardware to but The super net only provides the Dark fiber connection , unless you are court house or any Government organization
Meaning they will work with 3 party company's to provide internet but other than that they do not provide internet like shaw or telus
If you are in a smaller community they may have set up a LOS for wireless thought the local town ship
Old 01-15-2009, 09:45 PM

I have had really good luck with Xplorenet..
Old 01-16-2009, 12:15 AM

A lot of the "country" providers use line of sight if they are offering a digital service. And that's exactly what it is, if you can't see the tower, forget it. Airenet out of Olds is one of these. I'm 14 feet below line of sight and I can't get anything from them.

Out here in Sundre, I'm having to use Xplornet satellite internet. It's OK, not the greatest when it's at peak times although they will upgrade you to a faster service for a fee and it's not cheap.

Downloading movies and such, forget it, I don't have that much time.

You sure get spoiled when you have Shaw high speed cable and then move out to the boonies.

Jeff
Old 01-19-2009, 08:39 PM

There is that digital where I am but as some said its not the best, I got a local Explorerner dealer close so I will go see them-for now I ditched the $100/month aircard and am on $13/month dial-up,I can live without vidoes and joke e-mails for a while.