ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Looking at a 2012

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at a 2012

Yep, its the four year itch. My first ram was a 2004 1500, then in 2008 a 3500 diesel, and after riding in a new crew cab...I realize its something I want to look seriously at. My 08's up for sale on the classified section for any fellow albertans looking for a seriously low mileage diesel truck that has spent half it's life stored indoors for the winter.

The good. The 2012 crew cab has amazing rear seat space vs my quad cab which is a prime reason for selling my 08. When I bought the truck my kids were small, and now one is just under and the other just over 6 feet... The exterior of the 2012 has a great look in my opinion. I like the locking tailgate, integrated brake controller, and the creature comforts in the laramie or longhorn package

the bad. I had hoped for a front 40/20/40 bench seat, but to get heated rear seats requires buckets and a console. Not my favorite as I end up with a 5 seater. Still not sure if it's a deal breaker

the ugly. Our american friends can skip this part, but for us Albertan's a well equipped 3500 laramie or longhorn will tip the scales before negotiations well into the 70k range....holy *&@! I know that it will be mid 60's with some incentives etc but wow... its like buying a luxury vehicle price wise. The incentives are all on the 2011's, so I may wait it out to see what happens to the 2012 rebates.

Bottom line, my dealer is interested in my trade, and if nothing works out for a private sale I might entertain the idea.

I know the mileage will be no worse than my 08, and the limited reports on here and elsewhere seem to indicate folks with 4th gen trucks are very pleased with the fit/finish and ride quality. If anybody has thoughts on their 2011 or 2012 SRW laramie/longhorn rams I would like to hear about it.

thanks

Daryll
Old 11-15-2011, 11:00 PM
The Guru

I own a 2010 CC laramie. Nice truck but expensive. Never been back to the dealer since I bought it about 18months ago. I would buy a 2011, as they are cheaper. These trucks lose tons of value, hate to omit it.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:31 AM
Banned

got an 010.5 drives nice and all, but for what I use it could've done with a Hemi.
Almost at 17k km in about 18 mths, will probably trade for a 012 next year.
And we have 4 kids so I need the 40/20/40 for road trips w the kids as wife drives a wv station wagon (tdi too)cheap on fuel, but only 5 seats
Old 11-16-2011, 09:57 AM

Can you not get one in from the States? Not sure if they honour warranty etc. but I'm sure something can be worked out...

I know for a while the dealers in Ontario were buying vehicles in the States and bringing them over, so warranty must be honoured (at least at those dealerships...).
Old 11-16-2011, 11:48 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I love my 2011 but from the trouble my son has had with his 2011 it seems the deletes are a must if you want to idle the truck much. You do the deletes and they "delete" your warranty, so why pay literally tons of extra cash by buying local just to get a warranty that you'll probably end up without. If I had done the research about all the emission stuff on this truck BEFORE I bought I would definitely have bought in the US. My next one will be bought down South that's for sure.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:30 PM

2011 vs 2008

I have a 2011 2500 4x4,previous was a 08 2500 4x2 before that was of corse a 2003 HEMI.. There is no comparison to my 2011 the ride the rear seating the brake controller and engine brake are so nice. I'll soon have my 2011 a year got almost 20,000 miles on it. I've had no problems with it at all. I'm in the RV business, so it towes whatever needs to be towed. Check it out on my face book Randy Rawl.. I recently put a set of 305 70 17 Nitto tires on it, not to mention how much better it looks it drives and handles so good too. My wife calls it my other *****. lol.. I'll agree.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:47 AM
The Guru

Originally Posted by Busboy
I love my 2011 but from the trouble my son has had with his 2011 it seems the deletes are a must if you want to idle the truck much. You do the deletes and they "delete" your warranty, so why pay literally tons of extra cash by buying local just to get a warranty that you'll probably end up without. If I had done the research about all the emission stuff on this truck BEFORE I bought I would definitely have bought in the US. My next one will be bought down South that's for sure.
Some local dealers are offering the truck in deleted mode. I would shop for a truck in the rural area prior to shopping at a big city.

I still have warranty, just don't let the dealer bully you into the thought that you don't have warranty. Mines been deleted since brand new. I had a crank sensor issues brand new, the dealer just did reflashs. I even told them it was the crank sensor. I just bought a new sensor and my truck been good ever since.

You guys get the tie rod recall? I must have six out standing recalls, most are emission related

I have 50000km on mines and I park mine for the winter.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Some local dealers are offering the truck in deleted mode. I would shop for a truck in the rural area prior to shopping at a big city.

I still have warranty, just don't let the dealer bully you into the thought that you don't have warranty. Mines been deleted since brand new. I had a crank sensor issues brand new, the dealer just did reflashs. I even told them it was the crank sensor. I just bought a new sensor and my truck been good ever since.

You guys get the tie rod recall? I must have six out standing recalls, most are emission related

I have 50000km on mines and I park mine for the winter.
My son and I bought in march, he has a little over 50,000km I have about 12,000km, I don't drive mine other than towing. When I see the problems he's having with idling his truck he definitely needs to do the deletes and if we do one we may as well do them both side by side. When we first bought them I asked at the dealer and they said if you delete you will void the warranty. He needs to decide if he is going to hang on to this truck or buy a new one. He likes the standard trans and the dealer did install a high idle but it is not as good as the auto trans high idle I have on mine.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:30 PM
The Guru

H&S programmer will enable the high idle for manual trucks and it will function similar to an auto truck. It also remove the factory torque management that you have when you buy a manual truck, giving you true 350/650 like the auto trucks.

H&S just came out with a nav lock-pick programming, to remove the factory motion locks. I'm going to call them and see if I can get a deal for both the overdrive and nav lock pick software. I'm not driving my truck currently, so I can wait for a sale to come up.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:28 AM

H&S programmer will enable the high idle for manual trucks and it will function similar to an auto truck. It also remove the factory torque management that you have when you buy a manual truck, giving you true 350/650 like the auto trucks.
My son just had his on the dyno at the dealer at the same time they installed the hi idle for him. 349.4 @2146rpm 121.6kph, 755@2146rpm 90.1kph those were the figures from the print out, it doesn't say if they were corrected for altitude but the torque seems high.. The dealer agreed to dyno the truck as my son has said it was making oil in the cold weather since he bought it, unfortunately he had just changed the oil when it went to the dealer. I think the fuel is getting into the oil because the regen is not completing because he can't drive it hard enough. It's thrown codes in the past for the O2 sensors that have already been replaced and he's got codes again. I wasn't there when he did his last change but I emptied the oil and it was like water, laden with fuel. The hi idle they installed is a 3 posn sw, off/1200/1400rpm.

If he keeps the truck we will do the deletes and perhaps use a H&S along with an Espar heater. Are you using the H&S with your deletes if so how has it been?
Old 11-21-2011, 08:10 PM
The Guru

The new 6.7L has a 4th injection event thats suppose to promote more heat for the cat/dpf to work better. My oil in my 2010 stays clean for 12000km's.

Those dyno numbers look to good for a stock truck. Mine deleted, running the H&S tuners put down 410rwhp and 800ft*lbs, at one of our dyno events.

I gained approximately 15-20rwhp just by removing the dpf/second cat and about 2-3 mpg. I made my own delete tube out of left over 4in exhaust tubing.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:23 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I recommend 2011.5 truck HO. You should be able to find one and remember, the best day to buy a vehicle is the last 2 working days on the year. So Dec 29-30th is your best bet. I bought my 2010 Honda Pilot the last working day of 2009 and saved 12,000 off of sticker. I bought my 2011 Dodge CTD the last working day of 2010 and saved just over 15K off of sticker. IMO, that is the best time to buy. Also, try to find a dealer that does not move alot of trucks. The CTD I bought was the only one sold that month. Kinda hard to do but you should be able to find one.

I WISH that I would have waited for the 2011.5 but now that I am suncoast equipped it really does not matter.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:27 AM

[QUOTE=Mike Holmen;3045005] My oil in my 2010 stays clean for 12000km's.
QUOTE]

Now there is an understatement. I think your dipstick goes into a seperate holding tank. I have never seen any vehicle with oil as clean as yours.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:26 PM

My cousins that live in Lethbridge do all their car shopping accross the border. What the dealers do for them is they still honor the warranty, all they have to do is pay for it up front and the dealer reimburses them. THey havent been let down so far on this deal... the prices are amazing for really such a short drive. And the dealers down there are very well versed in selling to us canadians. They have all the paperwork in place so all you have to do is go accross the border, pay the GST and done. Sounds pretty easy to me
Old 11-22-2011, 03:56 PM
The Guru

[QUOTE=Bankdude;3045301]
My oil in my 2010 stays clean for 12000km's.
QUOTE]

Now there is an understatement. I think your dipstick goes into a seperate holding tank. I have never seen any vehicle with oil as clean as yours.
I not telling any one were my dip stick been, but its clean. My trouble I show everyone, its still amazing transformation. I remember prior to deleting the truck, I must have changed oil three times prior to 6000km's, just cause it was nasty dirty. The 2012 truck have to run the E (environmental) oil, just cause of all the soot and fuel dilution. Everytime I buy, they keep trying to up sale me on the stuff.

Seen a few newer USA vehicles down at the Montana outfit parked for us lucky Canadian, that get gouged by our local dealerships that so quickly void warranties for dumb stuff.

Keep us posted new2diesel on how long that the transmission holds up. Just don't have an confidence with the new RFE68 to survive any real power, but would welcome the fact that it can. Just so easy to get a 6.7L to make decent power. I'm building one for my 2002 for next spring.

Quick Reply: Looking at a 2012